Updates to faculty layoff plan and other stuff

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
wiu712

Time for SIU to shift resources to the Edwardsville campus.

From the Belleville News-Democrat:
http://www.bnd.com/opinion/editorials/a ... 48759.html
wiu712

SIU Board of Trustees to consider approving five million dollar state funding shift from Carbondale to Edwardsville.

From the Daily Egyptian:
https://dailyegyptian.com/81381/news/bo ... ardsville/
sealhall74

I have been away from campus too long. Does that vast open area north of the Union have any sort of formal or informal name? If it doesn't, we need to come up with one. Make it an area kids want to hang out at, enjoy the great outdoors, maybe do a little homework, get in a little afternoon nap. One of the coolest college things I have ever witnessed was down at Stetson U in Florida when I walked through their "Quad" area and and saw all of the kids taking some breaks on their hammocks. Granted, the Florida Sun is a little more conducive to that kind of thing, but I still think that big area needs some attention. Lots of trees for shade along with tables and benches where kids can congregate together. I can even see a campus food truck rolling down the sidewalk and parking there during months of good weather. This is what kids expect this day and age.

Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

sealhall74 wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:52 amDoes that vast open area north of the Union have any sort of formal or informal name?
That area is commonly referred to as "The Quad". And there are a few benches along some of sidewalks--especially the easternmost sidewalk which is adjacent to the backside of Hanson Field.

U of I officials seek increased state funding.
From today's Springfield State Journal-Register:
http://www.sj-r.com/news/20180405/u-of- ... te-funding
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

There is also some outdoor seating behind Stipes just outside of Dividends:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Divid ... 90.6869486

When it's nice out, there's often groups of students hanging out there with coffee or whatever. Seems like just hanging out outside is not really something that the current group of college students does. Doesn't help that it hasn't really been warm enough for that yet and with more snow projected for this weekend...it may be a while.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Sent out via TeleSTARS (campus email notification/promotion system) this morning:
From the WIU Board of Trustees:

We value our faculty's opinions and have taken their concerns into consideration. The Board of Trustees supports the University administration. When reviewing the University's accomplishments and leadership over the years, including the Board's duty to continue to maintain the University's viability, it is the Board's opinion that the University administration has done what we've asked them to do in these very difficult times. Our concern is for the entire University, and we have further charged the administration to do everything they can to keep us moving forward.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Tere North

ST_Lawson wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:21 am Sent out via TeleSTARS (campus email notification/promotion system) this morning:
From the WIU Board of Trustees:

We value our faculty's opinions and have taken their concerns into consideration. The Board of Trustees supports the University administration. When reviewing the University's accomplishments and leadership over the years, including the Board's duty to continue to maintain the University's viability, it is the Board's opinion that the University administration has done what we've asked them to do in these very difficult times. Our concern is for the entire University, and we have further charged the administration to do everything they can to keep us moving forward.
And did you really expect anything else. Hell, the Board still believes it wasn't a faculty majority consensus on the vote anyway. Sure would like to know what those accomplishments have been other than driving Western down the tubes due to the administration's failure to view the evidence, instead seeking to promote only minor successes. I'd also like to know how we are moving forward.
wiu712

Growing brain drain: University of Alabama's gain in drawing Illinois students is a loss for Illinois schools.

From today's Chicago Tribune:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-m ... story.html
wiu712

No Confidence Vote at WIU is Unique.

From Tri-States Public Radio WIUM-FM:
http://tspr.org/post/no-confidence-vote-wiu-unique
wiu712

ST_Lawson wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:21 am From the WIU Board of Trustees:
We value our faculty's opinions and have taken their concerns into consideration. The Board of Trustees supports the University administration.
A Western faculty member told me that he was disappointed but not surprised by the BOT's statement. He said that college sports coaches are routinely dismissed for prolonged losing seasons. He wonders why the same is not true for administrative staff.

He said that he is retiring after the spring semester. He had originally planned to work a few more years. But a Macomb Realtor advised him that he may want to leave sooner as the downsizing at Western will be putting more homes on the market every year.

The Macomb merchants are very concerned. One of them told me that President Goldfarb's prediction of a 6,000 student campus may be on the optimistic side. He thinks that Western's future will more resemble the early 1960's--before the Baby Boomers started to arrive in Fall 1964.

I work at the SIU Med School in Springfield.

The Med School is a 4-year program. The first year is spent on the Carbondale campus. The last three years are at Springfield. The talk for years has been moving that first year to Springfield. It is now sounding like that may be getting closer to reality. That would move 80 students from Carbondale to Springfield.

The current "chatter" among the SIU employees is that the Carbondale campus will be reduced to being a "Specialty Campus". That means that they would offer a limited number of core undergraduate progams as well as keeping their graduate school. Under that plan, the full-comprehensive undergrad program would be at Edwardsville.