Updates to faculty layoff plan and other stuff

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
wiu712

sealhall74 wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 10:52 amEIU is predicting a 20% increase in freshman enrollment in the fall.
Though he has seen increasingly positive momentum regarding this year’s freshman class at Eastern, Josh Norman, associate vice president for enrollment management, said he does not feel comfortable speculating the overall number at this point. This is because there are still many prospective students who are still in the financial aid verification process, which affects them getting their aid package.

Josh Norman said that "Eastern has had 23 faculty and staff working three days straight to call the 1800 students who have applied for admission". He said “We called every one of these students in hopes of getting in touch with them and personally walking them through the process."
wiu712

At Southern Illinois University, a growing Edwardsville campus flexes its muscles.

By Dawn Rhodes, Chicago Tribune:
https://jg-tc.com/herald-review/news/st ... 3429d.html
wiu712

State Treasurer Michael Frerichs warns of "junk" credit downgrade without a state budget.

Michael Frerichs said he remains optimistic lawmakers will approve a state budget deal by month’s end, but warned of dire consequences ahead if it doesn’t happen.

Speaking on WGN AM-720, Frerichs said the state’s already poor credit rating could drop even further to “junk” status, limiting the investment firms that could purchase state bonds and vastly increasing interest payments to lenders that can still buy Illinois debt.

“I’ve been warning not only is it a real possibility, it is going to happen if there is not a budget in place, I would say, by July 1st. By May 31st it’s possible, by July 1st it most definitely will be,” Frerichs said.

“We would be the first state in the country to have our general obligation bonds rated as junk. That is not a first that any state wants to have, should aspire to,” he said.

With lawmakers facing a scheduled May 31 adjournment date for the spring session, Frerichs had a message for Republican Gov. Rauner and Democratic leaders who control the General Assembly.

“We shouldn’t be messing around with this,” he said.
wiu712

The Board of Trustees will meet Friday, May 18 to hear reports on projected enrollment for Fall 2018 and budget projections.

The Board's open meeting will begin at 8 a.m. in the University Union Capitol Rooms.

The board will also convene to closed session for the purpose of considering matters including personnel, collective bargaining, litigation, and real estate.

The Board will reconvene to an open session following the closed session.
leatherneckcountry

So everyone keeps talking about the class that graduated to the incoming freshman class but I think you need to add all the incoming transfers I deal with college students all the time and i see many more transfers than freshman I went Juco 1st myself.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote:So everyone keeps talking about the class that graduated to the incoming freshman class but I think you need to add all the incoming transfers I deal with college students all the time and i see many more transfers than freshman I went Juco 1st myself.
This is true. We won't really know on that front until further into the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:45 pm
leatherneckcountry wrote:So everyone keeps talking about the class that graduated to the incoming freshman class but I think you need to add all the incoming transfers I deal with college students all the time and i see many more transfers than freshman I went Juco 1st myself.
This is true. We won't really know on that front until further into the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good news, I guess. They always say history repeats itself. We can start calling ourself the Sangamon State U of the 21st century. From there, the sky's the limit. U of I System will be knocking on our door very soon.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

All projections for Eastern indicate that freshmen enrollment will be up for Fall 2018--- maybe even by 10%.

They had a large senior class that just graduated that will be replaced by a smaller incoming freshmen class. So overall headcount at EIU will be down slightly from last year (maybe 1-2%).
Tere North

wiu712 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:21 pm All projections for Eastern indicate that freshmen enrollment will be up for Fall 2018--- maybe even by 10%.

They had a large senior class that just graduated that will be replaced by a smaller incoming freshmen class. So overall headcount at EIU will be down slightly from last year (maybe 1-2%).
Western was supposed to provide projections at today's BOT meeting. Anyone hear what they were?
wiu712

Tere North wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 11:37 amWestern was supposed to provide projections at today's BOT meeting. Anyone hear what they were?
There was no report in today's Macomb newspaper. Nothing on WIUM-FM, and nothing on local Macomb radio. Wonder if any local media was at this meeting ???

According to the Agenda for this BOT meeting, projected enrollment and a budget snapshot were to be addressed.
http://www.wiu.edu/board_of_trustees/mi ... ERIALS.pdf