Updates to faculty layoff plan and other stuff

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
sealhall74

I think economic downhill slide preceded Jack by quite a few years. University Drive back in the day was a vibrant stretch with a HyVee, movie theater, several pubs and restaurants, the Holiday Inn just around the corner. I would take that any day over a fancy welcome sign at the corner.
Embrace the pace of the race.
leatherneckcountry

sealhall74 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:45 pm I think economic downhill slide preceded Jack by quite a few years. University Drive back in the day was a vibrant stretch with a HyVee, movie theater, several pubs and restaurants, the Holiday Inn just around the corner. I would take that any day over a fancy welcome sign at the corner.
Don’t say that to loud you will get ridiculed. It’s probably Dr Thomas fault we’ve gotten so much rain this fall.
rocki

sealhall74 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:45 pm I think economic downhill slide preceded Jack by quite a few years. University Drive back in the day was a vibrant stretch with a HyVee, movie theater, several pubs and restaurants, the Holiday Inn just around the corner. I would take that any day over a fancy welcome sign at the corner.
HyVee is still in town, although on the east side now. The movie theater is gone, but it had gotten to the point where they were playing movies for a handful of people at most. Lots of eating places have closed, true; and the Holiday Inn is gone - now there's a Super 8 where some small stores were (on University Drive). Seems all the stuff has shifted to the east side of town now. Of course, they do have the bus system now that makes it easier for students to get across town, too, so that helps.
Tere North

rocki wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:47 pm
HyVee is still in town, although on the east side now. The movie theater is gone, but it had gotten to the point where they were playing movies for a handful of people at most. Lots of eating places have closed, true; and the Holiday Inn is gone - now there's a Super 8 where some small stores were (on University Drive). Seems all the stuff has shifted to the east side of town now. Of course, they do have the bus system now that makes it easier for students to get across town, too, so that helps.
And HyVee is MUCH bigger now and 24/7, plus the new cinema is BIGGER and BETTER, hosting 6 shows, not 2.

Personally, I'd love to see the Performing Arts Center in the old Hyvee/Theatre/Godfathers site, but powers that be what to literally shoehorn it in between Corbin and Brown Hall. With the PAC there, we'd have a huge entry feature!!
sealhall74

Tere North wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:59 pm
rocki wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:47 pm
And HyVee is MUCH bigger now and 24/7, plus the new cinema is BIGGER and BETTER, hosting 6 shows, not 2.

Personally, I'd love to see the Performing Arts Center in the old Hyvee/Theatre/Godfathers site, but powers that be what to literally shoehorn it in between Corbin and Brown Hall. With the PAC there, we'd have a huge entry feature!!
If there is ample parking, it makes sense. You only get one chance to make a good first impression.
Tere North

Far more parking (and easier to get to) than wedged in between Corbin and Browne.
Leatherneck10

Does anyone know if someone will live tweet the BOT meeting? I think it should be live streamed.
sealhall74

Leatherneck10 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:55 pm Does anyone know if someone will live tweet the BOT meeting? I think it should be live streamed.
Agree. The Flagship system broadcasts their open sessions. Little things add to make a big difference and this is one of them.

https://www.bot.uillinois.edu/meetings/multimedia
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Leatherneck10 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:55 pm Does anyone know if someone will live tweet the BOT meeting? I think it should be live streamed.
Here's one (if I see others, I'll post them too).
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

They must be exxpecting a huge crowd with it happening in Brophy.