Is it that bad?

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
leatherface

It's "publicity" like this that will cause parents and students to shy away from schools perceived to have serious troubles. Irresponsible to make comments like this, unless validated. I don't care how successful the visit day was, they aren't on campus as students yet. A lot can change between now and fall entrance. Perception is so key. I wouldn't one one of my kids looking at a school that is continually mentioned as being so weak financially it might close. You would be a fool to not to consider that as a factor. I don't even want to think that I graduated from a school that closes because of financial troubles.

I can't imagine it's that bad, but, it keeps raising it's ugly head- especially being lumped with Chicago State and Eastern.
leatherface

I really intended to reply to wiu712 message, but somehow I started a new page. Any way, my comment still stands. Scott can move it if he would like.
leatherface

And there is even more bad news of local interest. In today's "Capitol Fax" column in the Macomb newspaper, Rich Miller says that "Chicago State University is perilously close to shutting down, as are Western Illinois University and Eastern Illinois University".

I wonder if the Western PR department needs to get aggressive in squelching comments like those made by Rich Miller- whoever he is. That's a serious comment he just made. A comment like that can be devastating in people's eyes. Western PR needs to get active and set some things straight about this closing business. otherwise, folks will take it at face value as printed by journalists.
WIU0812

leatherface wrote: And there is even more bad news of local interest. In today's "Capitol Fax" column in the Macomb newspaper, Rich Miller says that "Chicago State University is perilously close to shutting down, as are Western Illinois University and Eastern Illinois University".

I wonder if the Western PR department needs to get aggressive in squelching comments like those made by Rich Miller- whoever he is. That's a serious comment he just made. A comment like that can be devastating in people's eyes. Western PR needs to get active and set some things straight about this closing business. otherwise, folks will take it at face value as printed by journalists.
This is very true because people believe basically whatever they read or see in the media no matter how false or stretched the truth is. I am not sure what laws are on media, but they seem to always have a great deal of stretch that is allowed to what the truth is which tends to have negative effects on whatever they are reporting.
wiu712

leatherface wrote:I wonder if the Western PR department needs to get aggressive in squelching comments like those made by Rich Miller- whoever he is.
Rich Miller is a journalist based in Springfield. His special area of reporting is the state government. Miller was a columnist for the Chicago Sun-Times for 8 years before joining Crain's Chicago Business in 2014 as a columnist.

He writes a daily political newsletter "Capitol Fax" which started in 1993 and is syndicated to local newspapers such as the "McDonough County Voice".

You can access his newsletter at: http://www.capitolfax.com/
vatusay

This pissing contest between madigan and Rauner is getting out of hand. They both need to look up the definition of "compromise".
#ALLIN #YOLO
leatherface

I would think the President of WIU would be more visible, and providing leadership in squelching the "closing" comments. His silence is deafening.