Campus Improvements - New Golf Course Clubhouse

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
Purple Grandma

The digging we saw today and photographed appeared to be a little bit north of the old clubhouse. I assume the new one will be larger and may overlap the footprint of the old one, but I couldn't tell exactly how much.
Neckfansince71

Thanks for your observations Purple Grandma! Yes, I think the new building is considerably larger than the old one. Just wish we had some old oak trees to surround it and provide shade. ;) jc
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Wanted to do a follow-up on this for anyone who hasn't been around in the last few months to see it.

The new clubhouse is nearing completion. Here's some photos from inside:

And from the outside (the putting green is to the left of the photo):
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Neckfansince71

WIU and Macomb deserve a classy golf facility! The floor plan includes a pro shop, sitting area where you can toss down a brew after or before you play, a hitting bay for the winter and cold weather, offices for both the men's and women's coaches and locker rooms for both men's and women's teams. There is also a covered patio area on the east-side. It took awhile for the cement floor to cure but now its done and the facility can be completed for it's grand opening celebration in early July. ;) jc
Neckfansince71

Neckfansince71 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:45 pm WIU and Macomb deserve a classy golf facility! The floor plan includes a pro shop, sitting area where you can toss down a brew after or before you play, a hitting bay for the winter and cold weather, offices for both the men's and women's coaches and locker rooms for both men's and women's teams. There is also a covered patio area on the east-side. It took awhile for the cement floor to cure but now its done and the facility can be completed for it's grand opening celebration in early July. ;) jc
I think a couple of large Oak trees would be nice but I am sure that is at least 20 years or so away. ;) jc
sealhall74

I have never been out there since the 2nd batch (front?/back?) of 9 holes were added. Just a question here. Does WIU own all of the land east of the older 9 holes extending to Route 67? I realize there are some businesses and hotels there right now so I assume the answer is NO but just checking. Room for some nice campus expansion out there maybe WAAAYYYY down the road. I would love to see a nice and big hotel/conference center there. If you have a hospitality-oriented academic program, you really need a place to practice your craft and intern, etc. JMU has a really nice Hotel Madison that went up just off the campus. The architecture of it fits in with all of the other campus buildings. It is the "official" JMU hotel but I am pretty sure it is a privately owned and operated hotel right now. Going back down next weekend for another attempt at the 2-wheel rider class. Might stay there this time.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Macom ... 90.6717971
Last edited by sealhall74 on Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Neckfansince71 wrote:
Neckfansince71 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:45 pm WIU and Macomb deserve a classy golf facility! The floor plan includes a pro shop, sitting area where you can toss down a brew after or before you play, a hitting bay for the winter and cold weather, offices for both the men's and women's coaches and locker rooms for both men's and women's teams. There is also a covered patio area on the east-side. It took awhile for the cement floor to cure but now its done and the facility can be completed for it's grand opening celebration in early July. ;) jc
I think a couple of large Oak trees would be nice but I am sure that is at least 20 years or so away. ;) jc
I wouldn't be surprised if a few nice bushes and/or a flower garden is still in the works. There's a bit of that landscaping stuff that still needs to be finished up on the outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Neckfansince71

So they moved in yesterday. Would love some more pictures! ;) jc
sealhall74

I would love to see an "as the crow flies" bike/cart path from Thompson Hall out to that new golf clubhouse. Let the Physics/Engineering Departments design the bridge over the LaMoine, assuming it is not that wide or deep. Or maybe it is subject to high water at times and would not be feasible. How suitable is that land along the LaMoine for a cross country loop? A little water to run through makes it that much more fun.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Thompso ... 40.4864176

Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:03 pm I would love to see an "as the crow flies" bike/cart path from Thompson Hall out to that new golf clubhouse. Let the Physics/Engineering Departments design the bridge over the LaMoine, assuming it is not that wide or deep. Or maybe it is subject to high water at times and would not be feasible. How suitable is that land along the LaMoine for a cross country loop? A little water to run through makes it that much more fun.
Parts of the lower section is prone to flooding including some of the left side of the 4th fairway. Not sure how well that would work for a straight-line bike path to the clubhouse though. You'd pretty much have to be doing a large part of it right through the woods, then another section right alongside the fairway for the 9th.

They do still have the sidewalk down to where the footbridge used to be over to Lamoine Village. If they rebuilt a bridge there, wide enough for a cart or a couple of bikes, then went north alongside the woods up to the corner of Wigwam Hollow Road by the sheep barns/pens, that could work. Some of that used to be private land, but I think it's all university-owned now. Only part that isn't in that area is the small neighborhood just to the west of Lamoine Village.

As for running cross country there...idk...how are runners at dodging deer and other wildlife? There's a lot in that area.