WIU at South Dakota State (10/1/2016)

rocki

It was my understanding the team was headed out there today.

Anyone know if there are any injuries or any other "surprises" in store for us?

I'm not close to the team, so I can't speak personally, but I have to say that from all the interviews and write ups I have seen, this is a very special bunch of people that has come together at the right time - players, coaches, support staff, the whole bunch.

Hoping we can once again negate the home field advantage and get a big "W".
OldHare

It is going to be a beautiful day in Brookings. Kickoff will see 65 degrees and it will still be 55 degrees at the end of the game. The ESE wind will start at about 10 mph and fade to 6 mph. It will be a better day if the Jackrabbits can win the inaugural MVFC game at the new stadium. We should see a load of touchdowns Saturday if the assessments of the 2 teams offense and defense are accurate. It is also Military Day Game for this conference opening game which is fitting for institutions that have had ROTC association. I expect that the team that scores last wins a close game and I am also expecting that the Jackrabbits score last. It should be an exciting game.
Last edited by OldHare on Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neckfansince71

Old Hare,

Just want to say that this team is a little bit different than the one's you have seen at South Dakota State in the past. Something special is happening!!!!! ;) jc
Western_101

I agree with NFS71, something about this year is special. Two observations, McGuire Offensive player of the week for the country....wow this guy is ligit. I bet some midling FBS programs would sell their souls to have him piloting their ships. Also, McShane? OMG I never ever knew this guy had this much agility and explosiveness, great vision, great hands, great ball protection and the ability to pour it on when he breaks lose.

The Macomb area Mcdonald's need to do a promotional this season and rename two of their items the McGuire and the McShane.
wiu712

Preview of Saturday's game as seen on tonight's WGEM-TV Sports with Ben Marth:
http://www.wgem.com/story/33284473/2016 ... lay-begins
wiu712

Leathernecks enter league play on a high note!

From today's Peoria Journal-Star:
http://www.pjstar.com/sports/20160929/r ... -high-note
Last edited by wiu712 on Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Just a quick thing, since it appears that the news about the Macomb Fire Chief is "mostly" unrelated to the football team at this point (outside of LB Brett Taylor possibly being related to the deceased), I have moved the related posts to another topic under "Random Chat": http://www.leathernecknation.net/forum/ ... =16&t=1119
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Thumper 76

Hey guys, your Leathernecks are looking really impressive this year, congrats on taking down NIU! Really looking forward to the game this weekend, even if I am extremely nervous for this game. In case you guys are having as hard of a time focusing on work as I am, here's this weeks "Jackrabbit Journal" that Midco Sports does for us every week. You'll get to see every TD of Jake Weienkes career as they celebrate his clinching of the school record and get to see some highlights of Dallas Goedert, our other big weapon, as well as a preview of the game this weekend.

It's military appreciation weekend, which I think is appropriate with the Leathernecks coming to town. A couple of things on the game from my blue and yellow perspective.

1) This game will likely be very high scoring. Both defenses aren't exactly brick walls. The points per game appear to be a large difference until you look at who each team has played. SDSU has faced a Cal Poly team that averages around 36 ppg and a TCU team that averages 41 ppg (roughly, those are off the top of my head). SDSU also will be the best offense the Leathernecks have faced to date. And that's not bragging, SDSU is the only team to put up over 40 points on TCU in regulation. So I expect a lot of points

2) There is some solid evidence that could point to SDSU not being as awful on defense as the statistics look. They have faced a TCU team that's is in the top 2-3 offenses in the Big XII and the number one rushing team in the country who just put up 41 points on a Montana team that held UNI to 17. Also TCU got 3 pts from a clanked fg, a TD after a fumble at the Jacks 13, and a fluke tipped ball for a 43 yd td. Both offenses aren't something that the Jacks are used to defending not are they really built to defend those. I'm not saying they are good, but they aren't quite as bad as the numbers show in my humble opinion. After WIU puts up 42 points on us Saturday, I reserve my right to change this opinion.

3) I expect to see the Jacks come out with a ton of emotion this game. With the 1-2 start their backs already feel like they are against the wall, coupled with what happened last year at your place and the travel fiasco and OT loss costing us a seed, there's going to be some major revenge going on there.

4) SDSUs young corners will get burned at least once on play action. I would almost bet on it with our recent run struggles, they are going to be very focused on stopping that and they will get burned for a long one. Even with me thinking our defense isn't as poor as its shown, your offense it too good to not out up points.

Hopefully any of you coming up enjoy our nice shiny new stadium where your health is no longer threatend by rickety wooden bleachers. I have no idea who is going to win, but I know this is close to a must win for SDSU with how brutally our schedule is set up (check it out, it's rough as heck).
Thumper 76

One other note about SDSUs offense. We haven't put up huge yards in the run game, but our running backs are both averaging around 7 ypc.
rocki

Thanks Thumper! Not making the trip, but will be watching on ESPN3.

This game really does look like a toss-up, but I can't go against my home team. I don't doubt you guys will be the roughest test we've had so far.

Best of luck to the Jackrabbits, and here's to an injury-free game.