GDT: WIU vs NAU (9/10/2016)

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote:I should have been more clear - my fault:

The 5 big fans were actually air-blowing fans (not people). There were prepared for a hot & humid day.

And I meant that the team had flown into Peoria--not the 5 fans. :lol: Though the big "Air Fog" fans had to be on there as well.
Man, it took me like 3 reads through even your explanation before I realized you were talking about these guys:
Yea, there was no need for cooling fans today, I think. Barely got above 70.

Side note...I did a quick check of the top few guys on the list, but based on the rushing yards that McShane put up today, it's entirely likely that he's #1 in the FCS for rushing yards.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson wrote:
wiu712 wrote:Random observations from today's game:

The student section (now called "Purple Platoon") has been moved to the west side this year and is located in Sections F and G. There was a big crowd there.

One mistake that needs to be corrected: Western had the ball in the Red Zone in the 3rd qr driving for a score. The Western cheerleaders started handing out the free pizzas. That caused the crowd to get loud. But we had the ball. The Western players were on the sideline motioning for the crowd to quiet down. The pizza give-away needs to be conducted when the other team has the ball.

The bathrooms under the west stands were not open. Ohhh people were not happy.

I must not be a good judge of the crowd number. The attendance is posted as 6,732. I would have guessed that it was much higher than that.
Student section - yea...they were a great crowd...hopefully that can continue throughout the season

Pizza handouts - that's something they've done for years and they almost never do it at the right time...outside of once or twice, it seems like they always do it when we're on offence...annoys the crap out of me and doesn't help the football team at all. I was planning on emailing Matt Tanney about that issue specifically.

West stands bathrooms - um...20 years I've been associated with WIU football and I didn't know there were west stands bathrooms. You learn something new every day I guess :)

Crowd - that has gotta be off, I would have guessed twice that. Do they not count students, since they don't actually buy tickets? The only way I can see under 7k is if they didn't count the entire student section.
totally agree there's no way there was less than 12,000 there were very few open seats and there were a decent number on the hills and along the fence kind of sad we couldn't get a real count.
BobLovely

Excellent victory for the Leathernecks! I was very impressed by the way the team turned the momentum of game after the first quarter and finished strong. This is what good football teams do. This victory is yet another testimony as to the strength of the MVFC. Just ask the Northwestern people about this subject. Based on the photos, the attendance number of 6,732 has to be incorrect. On to NIU!

Bob
letsgonecks

ST_Lawson wrote:
wiu712 wrote:I should have been more clear - my fault:

The 5 big fans were actually air-blowing fans (not people). There were prepared for a hot & humid day.

And I meant that the team had flown into Peoria--not the 5 fans. :lol: Though the big "Air Fog" fans had to be on there as well.
Man, it took me like 3 reads through even your explanation before I realized you were talking about these guys:
Yea, there was no need for cooling fans today, I think. Barely got above 70.

Side note...I did a quick check of the top few guys on the list, but based on the rushing yards that McShane put up today, it's entirely likely that he's #1 in the FCS for rushing yards.
McShane has a 76 yard lead in the FCS. He's 3rd overall in D1 and only down 17 yards from the top spot of San Diego States back. Their back will likely put up some decent yards next week against NIU who is not playing well. Hopefully McShane will keep the pace the following week against NIU.
Neckfansince71

Great "football" Saturday! Left house at 8:15, arrived around noon. A lot of tailgaters, or should I say a "q-lot of tailgaters!" I too am wondering about the crowd number. Guess I will ask. The north end zone seats should be in place for Homecoming! We sat high in section E and had a great view all day. Lumberjacks looked unstoppable the first series. Really was important to get out to a two score lead just to finish them off. As far as the student body is concerned, things seem different this year. Students really seemed to be into the game. In fact everyone was into the game! The team walking through the tail-gate to Western Hall was very very impressive. I like this staff, I like this team, and I still like this school! The strike Mcguire to Lance for final touchdown was just an incredible play. Reminded me of something Rush Michna would have done back in 2003! MVFC Commissioner PattiV, sat outside press box, just across from us. She was keeping track of all the MVFC games on an IPAD! Definitely a football fan. Great day for WIU and the MVFC! ;) jc
wiu712

Neckfansince71 wrote:As far as the student body is concerned, things seem different this year. Students really seemed to be into the game.
Having the student section on the same side as the team was definitely a positive move. The large group in Sections F and G were involved in the game. And there was not the mass exodus at halftime.

I hope that Mr NFS71 can get us a clarification on the attendance number. We certainly don't want to be under-reporting the crowd.
sealhall74

I think a smart AD will "under report" attendance early in the season and lean the other direction as the season progresses. Life is all about showing improvement. Don't believe me, just watch CNN, MSNBC, and Fox this time of year.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

Write-up of the game from the Flagstaff, Arizona newspaper. The photo on this page shows a large crowd sitting on the west hillside.

Northern Arizona's secondary torched as Western Illinois wins 34-20.
From the Arizona Daily Sun:
http://azdailysun.com/sports/local/nort ... c1654.html
Western_101

sealhall74 wrote:I think a smart AD will "under report" attendance early in the season and lean the other direction as the season progresses. Life is all about showing improvement. Don't believe me, just watch CNN, MSNBC, and Fox this time of year.
Umm, NCAA keeps track of all stats, that includes attendance. WIU will most certainly want their total attendance for the season to be as large as possible so that when recruiting coaches can literally provide links to NCAA documents that verify what the coaches say that i.e. " we average over 12,000 spectators per game on campus." (the reported number isn't off by a few hundred but a few thousand :shock: )

If we are recruiting a kid that is also receiving offers from an FBS Kent State, Ball State or Eastern Michigan. Our coaches can counter with a "Yes son those are some fine FBS schools however we have this winning tradition, X amount of NFL products, playoff appearances and are beloved and supported by the Leatherneck Nation.....in fact young man We average more attendance/support than all of those FBS programs"

UNDER REPORTING HURTS WESTERN'S ABILITY TO RECRUIT.

Kids will pass up offers all day to go to FBS MAC schools if they are being offered by NDSU. NDSU is percieved to be well supported, popular, and a winner. SO sometimes FCS is > than FBS.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Yea, I can't see any reason why we'd intentionally under-report attendance during regular season games. I could maaaabye (barely) see a reason to do it in the postseason, since a portion of the money the NCAA gets from host teams can be related to ticket sales, but there's no reason to do that in the regular season.

I'm gonna have to check out some of the photos from the game and try to estimate myself. It's possible it was a bit more sparse on the east side than what I was originally guessing, since it's hard to judge when you're in the middle of it, but the west side was the most packed I'd seen it in quite a few years. If our stadium does actually hold 16k fans...there's no way that was less than 10k. I don't know how to fix it, but they need to get much better at counting attendance.

Also, for any NAU fans who may still stop by, here's a bit that I wrote about the game over on AGS:
I thought that, overall, Northern Arizona's offense did really well. Anyone that doesn't get a ton of pressure on Cookus is going to have a really bad day. That was the one thing we were able to do to shut them down in the second half. Pressure on the QB, couple of sacks, and stopping the run game. They're a very talented team overall.

Another thing to consider is that three of our offensive players had "career" or "near-career" days. That wasn't so much due to NAU's defense, which seemed pretty decent...not like NDSU, but solid enough...but everything was just going right for us on the offensive side of the ball. The way that McGuire, Lenoir, Lesure (he's the sophomore version of Lenior), and McShane were playing yesterday, very few teams could have stopped them. Lenoir was just catching everything within 10 feet of him, Lesure looks like he should be playing basketball with his ability to get up to catch the ball or hurdle defenders, and McShane...well...it's still very early in the season obviously, but through two games, he's currently leading the FCS in rushing yards (by 80 yards) and is 3rd overall in DI (and only 17 yards behind #1) although he'll probably lose a bit of ground this next weekend since it's our "bye" week.

I have a lot of respect for NAU and they did a very good job considering everything, but everything was just going Western's way yesterday.
We played exceptionally well yesterday (hopefully that's a "trend" rather than an "outlier"...considering McShane's performances so far...I'm considering it a "trend" until proven otherwise). If we play that well in two weeks, I think we beat Northern Illinois by about the same margin (reserving any real predictions until I see their game next week though).
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000