GDT: WIU at NIU (9/24/16)

Superneck

rocki wrote:Maybe going 3-0 will help get some people in the stands.

I'm one of the rowdy people, but all I get are dirty looks........... :lol:
You weren't the one that shouted "Let's burn this #%#*&#% down!!" on the way out, were you?
JoeWx21

This is a good win for WIU, not saying a big or signature win, but a win to continue the momentum into conference play. I am going to re-watch the game again, but so far this was a game of 2 halves. The 1st half was nearly flawless for this style of play. Not going for the homerun throws or runs yet not being conservative on the potential of being overmatched. I like how the offense was getting good chunk of yards during the 1st half to open up the running or passing game. The defense did a good job defending the perimeter to stop NIU's big play offense (a good test for this defense especially against valley teams who run almost the same kind of offense: YSU, UNI, USD). Getting lots of stop and punts.

But wow, what a different 2nd half. I don't know if Knuffman's missed FG or the Cowboys muck up play to end the 1st half, but it was completely different. After a nice drive to score their final points of the game I have to put some blame into Coach Fisher and Malone. I don't know if it was confidence or game management, but I did not like the conservative play calling when up 28-10. They needed to keep playing how they were in the 1st half and put the nail into the coffin. NIU loaded up the box and blitz the hell out of the center and guards and that interrupted offense. This caused the defense to play more in the 2nd half, and they got tired. Too much arm tackling/going for the strip.

Really, happy for the win. It is much needed but definitely have a lot of clean up to do for next week's game in Brookings. You know SDSU wants revenge from last year's game, and the defense cannot play like they did in the 2nd half or Wieneke could have another performance like he did against TCU earlier this year.
W1U

rocki wrote:Watching the 3rd quarter replay. LUMBERJACKS? Really???????? :roll:
I was thinking the same thing. I've heard us called some strange things on broadcasts but that was a first.
rocki

Superneck wrote:
rocki wrote:Maybe going 3-0 will help get some people in the stands.

I'm one of the rowdy people, but all I get are dirty looks........... :lol:
You weren't the one that shouted "Let's burn this #%#*&#% down!!" on the way out, were you?
Not this time. :lol:
wiu712

NIU football: Western Illinois shocks Huskies; NIU drops to 0-4.

From the DeKalb Daily Chronicle:
http://www.daily-chronicle.com/2016/09/ ... u3/?page=1
NIU#1FBinIL

Congrats on the win.

Chicago Tribune: NIU comeback falls short twice in final minutes of 28-23 loss

Good luck the rest of the way.
sealhall74

Huskies need to correct the WIU 3rd qtr possession time (23:02) in the boxscore. We had a good quarter but it was not that good.

http://niu_ftp.sidearmsports.com/custompages/football/2016/NIU-WIU.HTM
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

"The Huskies are quite literally on a higher level than their Football Championship Series opponent, after all, and it's likely none of the Leathernecks' home-state players would have chosen Western if Northern had come calling."

What the ****!
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson wrote:"The Huskies are quite literally on a higher level than their Football Championship Series opponent, after all, and it's likely none of the Leathernecks' home-state players would have chosen Western if Northern had come calling."

What the ****!
Just continues to show how big of a joke the chicago tribune is.
wiu712

Story of the game as seen on Rockford television station WTVO:
http://www.mystateline.com/sports/huski ... gainst-wiu