GDT: WIU at NIU (9/24/16)

WIU02

Was at the game with my Western roommates. So awesome to catch up with all of them and their children. Both my in-laws went to NIU so I got the star treatment wih tailgate, parking, free tickets, and walked away with bragging rights. I got the cake and ate it too as some would say. McGuire gave my almost 5 year old a high five, standing vertical leap into the stands after the game. Lesure was in the parking lot greeting his family right after the game, and also gave my son a five with a huge smile on his face. I was at the '02 win in Dekalb right after I had graduated, and yesterday topped it by far. Just an incredible day with great weather, surrounded by family and friends. Oh, and the 'Necks can play a little bit of ball too. "Re-watched" the game via Espn3 on my Roku when I got home because I was on cloud 9. Brett Taylor is an absolute stud, and McGuire's leadership skills for a Sophomore are undeniable. I saw him grab his entire offense on the sideline when the game was getting close, he is a true leader. The same thing is being said currently about Carson Wentz. This is a solid team with excellent coaching.

Go 'Necks!

-Matt
wiu712

Western scored all of its 28 points in the south end zone which was in front of the large Western crowd.

In addition, the final stop on that NIU 4th & 3 from the Western 9 yard line with 40 seconds left in the game also came in front of the Western fans.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote:Western scored all of its 28 points in the south end zone which was in front of the large Western crowd.

In addition, the final stop on that NIU 4th & 3 from the Western 9 yard line with 40 seconds left in the game also came in front of the Western fans.
Actually...ALL the points in the game were scored at that end zone. Closest it came to having points at the north end was our missed FG up that way. Otherwise, pretty much all the action happened right in front of the Western crowd. I listed back on ESPN3 and didn't realize we sounded so darn loud...that was awesome.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
rocki

Watched the replay on ESPN3. It might just be me, but I still didn't see what all the penalties were for. The only one I saw was the late hit called on Swenson. The others seemed to be out or almost out of camera range, and there were no replays (there wasn't one on Swenson, either, and it looked kinda bogus to me - he was going full steam and couldn't get stopped. Didn't appear he deliberately pounced on the guy out of bounds).

The announcers also said there was some "extra curricular" activity going on, but again, it was out of camera range.

Was that part of what contributed to the letdown in the last half? I know they had to be tired, too, and it was hard to tell if NIU kept in mostly the same linemen or if they were rotating in "fresher" guys to give their starters a breather. (I also know that for whatever reason, their backup QB breathed a ton of life into that team - not sure why they haven't used him before unless Saturday was a fluke for him)

Overall pleased with the play, wondering how we managed to lose the momentum being ahead 28-7. Hopefully a lot of it was that they had more bodies than we do, and we won't face the same thing against MVFC opponents.

Great goal line stand, couldn't be happier with the way they came up with that when it was absolutely necessary.

On to SDSU - what say y'all?
wiu712

Just in from Western Athletics:
WIU Football: vs Northern Illinois - 9/24/16

Good video. My only criticism is that it does not include that 4th & 3 play from the Western 9 yard line with 40 seconds left in the game.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Interview with Sean McGuire from WGEM-SC Radio:
[soundcloud]284725455[/soundcloud]
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

Video of those two great 4th down stops late in the 4th quarter:
http://www.goleathernecks.com/watch/?Archive=1007
wiu712

Leathernecks Fighting for, Earning Respect.

From today's McDonough County Voice:
http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/20 ... ng-respect