GDT: WIU at SDSU (10/1/2016)

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

From a post over on SDSU's forum:
"By the way...this MVFC GOW crew is brutal. Taking over game action, missing plays, terrible sideline reporting. Not to mention they seem more biased than our local broadcasts."
So, it wasn't just us that thought that the announcers were pretty bad.

Here's a few more quotes/replies from over there:
Theyre painful to listen to
I muted them at halftime. Didn't remember to unmute them.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
yokedneck

Pix of SDSU new stadium and facilities.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
[thinkpurple]Leatherneck Football[/thinkpurple]
OldHare

rocki wrote:OldHare, if you're still on here, congrats. Your team was the far better one tonight - best of luck the rest of the season.
The Jackrabbit fans were making noise into the fourth quarter encouraging the team to play hard. The Jackrabbit receivers had a great game tonight as Christion placed the ball in the place it needed to be. Hopefully, the crowds grow for the rest of the year with this performance. The Leathernecks had some dropped passes and McShane was cornered after the first quarter. The turnovers were in the Jackrabbits favor with 2 TD's. I think the bye week after the loss at home was important for this game. The season is still young for both teams. Enjoy the season. (Also tell Necks 2003 that most of the few people that live in South Dakota are pleased that not everyone would like to live around here. :lol: )
Thumper 76

Necks2003 wrote:Painful to watch, but at least we do not have to live in a place as miserable as South Dakota. You can build as nice of a stadium as you want, but it does not eliminate the fact you have to live in one of the 2 most miserable places in the country. North Dakota being the worst.
No worries, I hope everybody thinks that way and stays out of our states, you couldn't pay me enough to live in Illinois. I mean, you guys cheer for the Bears and Cubs, barf. Plus Chicago. Double barf.

Anyways, on the game, you guys are still a playoff team in my book. You have a great head start for the playoffs with the FBS win and undefeated OOC. I expect you guys to be top 3-4 in the conference, possibly ending up ahead of us. Our schedule is VERY unfriendly.

You guys ran into a buzz saw today. Our team definitely had a vendetta after you guys cost us our first ever seed last year, and our defense was saying all week they had something to prove after being ranked in the bottom of the nation in everything. You could tell your team got desperate and it snowballed into mistakes. And I haven't seen a team that's able to shut down Wieneke. Unfortunately if you focus on him enough to slow him we have Goedert. I felt like you guys do after our Cal Poly game, at least you don't have to sit on this game through a bye week.

On the bright side both our teams appear to have the type of offense to score on NDSU, so we both should have a shot against them.

Best of luck the rest of the year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sealhall74

Ugly performance. Best way to beat Wieneke and Goedert is to keep them off the field but our offense could not sustain any drives when it mattered most. Sitting next to OldHare and his wife at least kept me in the stadium until the final gun. Just not sure how good we are this year. Have we beat any quality teams? If opponents take away our plan A, do we have a plan B? IMO EVERY game from here on will be a battle.
Embrace the pace of the race.
WIU02

That's tough to answer, Seal. Bear in mind we played no cupcake D2 game, and also faced an FBS team in our first three games. We were playing a team in their stadium who was coming off a bye...ask anyone in the coaching ranks and they will tell you the advantage goes to SDSU in this scenario. McGuire now has just 8 D1 starts, and is 6-2. I think if anything it was the final score that was most alarming. Clearly SDSU will be putting up a ton of points this season, and their opponents need to be prepared for a shootout. The next two weeks will be extremely important to see how this team responds, see how McGuire responds to a blowout loss, and see how the defense steps up. I will say from my perspective that having McGuire and Taylor as leaders on each side of the ball should instill confidence during times of adversity. Neither comes off to me as taking a loss like this lightly. I expect a very strong statement game next weekend at home against ISUblue.

-Go 'Necks
BobLovely

I did not see this outcome coming our way. I anticipated a close game. The wheels fell off last night after the first quarter. Turnovers kill you in football. It is best to learn from the mistakes made and get ready for Indiana State. South Dakota State is a good football team...

Bob
Western_101

SDSU is legit.

They hit TCU in the mouth with 41 points.

Of course they were going to exploit our secondary. Goedert looked like a man amongst boys out there. Good news is I don't think we will face anymore 7'2" 280 pound receivers moving forward.

Offense made plenty of misteps. Play calling concerned me. There is a difference between aggressive and desperate.

There is plenty of season left and the 'Necks will rebound and put it to ISUb, I feel confident of that.
wiu712

Write-up of the game from today's Sioux Falls newspaper:
http://www.argusleader.com/story/sports ... /91322646/