WIU vs Indiana State (10/8/2016)...HOMECOMING!

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

RedNeck wrote:I'm going to refrain from commenting on the two bleachers.
That was like 30 minutes before the game. There were people there during the game
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
BobLovely

Great win for Western! I knew it was going to be a close one...

Bob
wiu712

Western rallies back with nine 4th quarter points to win the game 36-35.

Indiana State scored 21 quick points (in just 3 minutes) in the 3rd quarter to go from 13 points down to 8 points up.

Western had 486 total offensive yards (363 passing and 123 rushing).

Attendance was posted as 5,487. The crowd looked larger to me. Attendance at last year's Homecoming was 7,125. Western won that game over Southern Illinois 37-36 via a Nathan Knuffman 20-yard field goal with 2 seconds left in the game.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Back from band alumni stuff at Buffalo Wild Wings now, and I....am....beat (and sunburnt).

Sorry I didn't get a gameday thread going for this one, but it was a pretty busy day for me. Hopefully you guys who weren't here were able to discuss the game some in the chat center.

I don't even know what to say about this game. We won...maybe we shouldn't have...both teams got really lucky a couple of times...long game...very weird ending. Idk what the official numbers were, but it looked like a pretty good crowd, at least on the home side. There were some emptyish sections over on the visitor's end of the east stands, but most of the west side was full.

I did take a photo of the home side crowd about 2-3 minutes before halftime, from the track on that side. Here's that image if anyone wants to and has time to start counting: https://i.imgur.com/buryK0v.jpg
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote:Back from band alumni stuff at Buffalo Wild Wings now, and I....am....beat (and sunburnt).

Sorry I didn't get a gameday thread going for this one, but it was a pretty busy day for me. Hopefully you guys who weren't here were able to discuss the game some in the chat center.

I don't even know what to say about this game. We won...maybe we shouldn't have...both teams got really lucky a couple of times...long game...very weird ending. Idk what the official numbers were, but it looked like a pretty good crowd, at least on the home side. There were some emptyish sections over on the visitor's end of the east stands, but most of the west side was full.

I did take a photo of the home side crowd about 2-3 minutes before halftime, from the track on that side. Here's that image if anyone wants to and has time to start counting: https://i.imgur.com/buryK0v.jpg
I dont have anything but the ESPN broadcast to go on, but they had a shot of the west side crowd some time in 2nd half (dont remember exactly when), but it appeared that about half of the crowd there had departed. Very strange if that was the case. One thing we know for sure after 5 games - no lead is too comfortable for us. Also, I listened to the radio broadcast as usual and it was very noticeable that the loudest the crowd ever got was when the pizzas came out. We have to change that behavior. Just imagine how the players and coaches feel when that happens. They are busting their balls out there to win a game and suddenly here a lot of noise and commotion going on from the crowd which has absolutely nothing to do with the football game. How about moving the pizza giveaway to a time when there is a break in the action? Just my opinion and I am sure others will disagree, but I am sticking with it.
Embrace the pace of the race.
WIU11DC

Hey everyone,

So here's my take on the last two weeks. (I lost my password and started over.) last week we showed up for the first two possessions and then got smacked in the mouth and hit a brick wall. McGuire played the second best team he's every faced in his career last week. (Argument that IL State last season in the playoffs were better.) so I think the team and himself learned that if you make mistakes against a great team they will make it lopsided. And hence we got blown out. Plus SDSU had some freak plays on offense, some spectluar catches and such.

Now HC, our special teams looked sloppy, i started to get flashbacks from last season. Which was a little terrifying. I personally thought our D played better than last week and overall was okay but needed some improvement. (Not looking forward to next year but I believe we could have a very good defense next season and the year following with how young we are.)

Our offenses looks sluggish, we have the two best combo of WR's in the MVFC and arguably the best underclassmen RB in the league. But, the offense are dropping passes they shouldn't be, throwing the ball where they shouldn't be. Maybe we are going through the growing pains of a young QB, right now? That is what I am hoping.

Also the other thing I've noticed in the last two games is that SDSU and ISU both get lucky. They come down with the #top10 catches and a small part of winning is luck or the freak play that only happens once in a blue moon. (I had to re-watch that tipped catch for a TD By ISU TE, hell of a play and great hand eye corridnation. But that is one example)

Overall I'm glad we got away with the W. we are 4-1 and in control of our playoff hopes (not conference champions) But, I do believe MSU is the game that decides if we are relevant the rest of the season. MSU has looked tough the last two weeks and if we don't win by a decent margin this Saturday, I wouldn't be surprised if that is our last win of the season. I do believe on paper we have the 3rd or 4th best team in the MVFC. (1. NDSU 2. SDSU 3.WIU/UNI) but paper is all moot if we don't show up and play. Oh, and if some of the luck the other teams have had in weeks past switches to our side.

Can't wait to see how the rest of the season plays out! Once a leatherneck, always a leatherneck! Go Necks!
wiu712

sealhall74 wrote:I dont have anything but the ESPN broadcast to go on, but they had a shot of the west side crowd some time in 2nd half (dont remember exactly when), but it appeared that about half of the crowd there had departed. Very strange if that was the case. One thing we know for sure after 5 games - no lead is too comfortable for us. Also, I listened to the radio broadcast as usual and it was very noticeable that the loudest the crowd ever got was when the pizzas came out.
The crowd did get loud in the 4th quarter encouraging the Western Defense. People were on their feet yelling. Moving the student group (Purple Platoon) to the west side has been a positive step. The students need to be on the same side as the team.

As far the crowd leaving, it was a very long game--running almost 4 hours. A game that started in mid-afternoon ends at night. The game ended at 6:50 PM. People were joking that the teams get three time-outs per half, but the "media" get an unlimited number of time-outs. :lol:

The people sitting next to me hated to leave, but they were going to the Homecoming Choir Concert at 7:30 PM. University Theatre also had a show at 7:30 PM.

Here's the write-up of the game from the Terre Haute newspaper. The Indiana State coach explains what happened on their 4th & 1 with 30 seconds left in the game.
http://www.tribstar.com/sports/local_co ... 2d783.html
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote: As far the crowd leaving, it was a very long game--running almost 4 hours. A game that started in mid-afternoon ends at night. The game ended at 6:50 PM. People were joking that the teams get three time-outs per half, but the "media" get an unlimited number of time-outs. :lol:

The people sitting next to me hated to leave, but they were going to the Homecoming Choir Concert at 7:30 PM. University Theatre also had a show at 7:30 PM.
This is true. Maybe 1/4 of the band members had to leave early as well because they had to be in the choir concert.
Western_101

Special teams score = D

I never would have guessed it 3 games into the season, but, next week at MSU frightens me.
BobLovely

ST_Lawson wrote:
wiu712 wrote: As far the crowd leaving, it was a very long game--running almost 4 hours. A game that started in mid-afternoon ends at night. The game ended at 6:50 PM. People were joking that the teams get three time-outs per half, but the "media" get an unlimited number of time-outs. :lol:

This is true. Maybe 1/4 of the band members had to leave early as well because they had to be in the choir concert.
I still believe that 1:00pm game times are best for afternoon games including homecoming. Regardless, if this team keeps winning, the football games need to become a "can't miss event" on campus, just as they were years ago as many of us clearly remember. If this does occur, the transition will take time or, so it appears...

Bob