WIU vs Missouri State (10/15/2016)

BobLovely

The game was on TV here in the Kansas City area on Time Warner Sports Channel. It was the Missouri State network feed.

The Leathernecks appeared to lose their focus after they went out to a 31-14 lead with way too many missed coverages and missed tackles on defense. I stopped counting missed tackles in the 4th quarter at (9).

This team needs to put together four quarters of consistent focus and never stop attacking regardless of the score or the margin of a lead. Mental lapses in the MVFC can be costly. Thankfully, focus was regained in time to pull this one out and get out of Springfield with a win.

Bob
sealhall74

Maybe it is just me and I urge others to review some film, but in SDSU game, I noticed that are defensive backs seemed to be giving more cushion to Jack receivers than they did to us. Maybe their two studs warranted that but I think I noticed it yesterday as well. I have always heard 7 or 8 yards max cushion. I know I was seeing some 10 and 12 yard cushion on the corners yesterday. I would like to see them mix it up and play some bump and run every now and then. Seems like we are just sitting back on our heels waiting for bad things to happen. Give them a little extra cushion and they come with underneath routes. That sets up the deep stuff. Just some head scratching thoughts for a Sunday morning armchair QB.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

sealhall74 wrote:The 6 o'clock start next Saturday could very well be problematic for Cubby fans. We need to petition Patty V to move the game up to 2 pm.
There could be two baseball games on Saturday. It would be Game 6 for the NLCS and Game 7 for the ALCS. MLB may opt to play the NLCS Game 6 in the afternoon and have the ALCS Game 7 in primetime.

Here's a write-up of Saturday's football game from the Springfield, MO newspaper:
http://www.news-leader.com/story/sports ... /92065304/
sealhall74

wiu712 wrote:
sealhall74 wrote:The 6 o'clock start next Saturday could very well be problematic for Cubby fans. We need to petition Patty V to move the game up to 2 pm.
There could be two baseball games on Saturday. It would be Game 6 for the NLCS and Game 7 for the ALCS. MLB may opt to play the NLCS Game 6 in the afternoon and have the ALCS Game 7 in primetime.

Here's a write-up of Saturday's football game from the Springfield, MO newspaper:
http://www.news-leader.com/story/sports ... /92065304/
I meant 2pm ET (1pm CT) assuming MLB sticks with the 4pm ET and 8pm ET start times. Seems a reasonable alternative to me. Football game stuck in the middle, I have a problem with that.

[youtube][/youtube]
Embrace the pace of the race.
Neckfansince71

Personally I wonder if it makes sense for me, a 63 year old guy to care that much about the out come of a "game" which he has absolutely no control of what so ever. I agree with RedNeck, I am just never really comfortable no matter how many points WIU is ahead by. We are planning on traveling to Macomb for NDst visit on Saturday. Just got keep taking my blood pressure meds and once in awhile a stomach antacid to keep things under control. I keep telling myself that this is suppose to be fun and its so great that I can watch each and every game now on my flat screen TV. We even had a dinner date with another couple last night before we went to a Herb Alpert concert. (He was very very good even at 81!) We left with MSt. threatening to take the lead in the waning moments of the 4th quarter after the fumble. My wife, who really must love me, kept track of the game on the score tracker as we drove to Houlihan's and no one in our party of 4 minded me checking the iPhone for the final score. Just gotta love technology. This has turned out to be a "marvelous" roller coaster ride that is not even half-way over!!! Guess next week I will do my best Lieutenant Dan impression and strap myself to the main-sail of the good ship Leatherneck and see what happens! See you all at Hanson! ;) jc
Western_101

OMG Herb Alpert? I know this a football thread, but that is awesome NFS71 :P

One of the best Albums ever:
necknack

[youtube][/youtube]
- NeckNack
letsgonecks

sealhall74 wrote:Maybe it is just me and I urge others to review some film, but in SDSU game, I noticed that are defensive backs seemed to be giving more cushion to Jack receivers than they did to us. Maybe their two studs warranted that but I think I noticed it yesterday as well. I have always heard 7 or 8 yards max cushion. I know I was seeing some 10 and 12 yard cushion on the corners yesterday. I would like to see them mix it up and play some bump and run every now and then. Seems like we are just sitting back on our heels waiting for bad things to happen. Give them a little extra cushion and they come with underneath routes. That sets up the deep stuff. Just some head scratching thoughts for a Sunday morning armchair QB.
Tough to bump if you lack the quickness. Neither Rowe or Fitz are super quick, so if they don't effectively jar them at the line, they're screwed. Wheeler might have the quickness, but then you're putting a lot of pressure on a true freshman.

I still agree with you that there should be some mixing it and 10 yards should be the max if you're playing wide side and it's 3rd and long.

The major issue is the lack of pressure. If the QB has time they'll find the open guy and someone will eventually be beat. The turnovers were forced with pressure and only once did they make a play with pressure. Otherwise it was open season. I felt we needed to dial up the pressure and blitzes when we had the big lead. I know we put ourselves in tough situations in the 4th, but I personally would press and bring blitzes to force them into making quick decisions. I know if you don't get home this can lead to big/quick scores, but we've proven the cautious approach beats us over the middle and down the field.

Not hating on the D and think we have talent across the board and a great staff, but hope someday we can find a pure edge pass rusher. Been a minute since we had one.

Either way, love being 5-1!!!!!!
letsgonecks

Finally got a chance to go back and watch the game. Lots of things I wanted to go back and see, and lots of things I noticed, but 3 things at end that stuck out......the last is huge.

The first thing you should go back and check if you haven't is the 4th down 4th quarter pick Sean threw. It was picked at the endzone, but what you might not have noticed is the illegal contact not called. Lesure is hit 8+ yards into his route which causes him to completely stop and this is right as Sean is bringing his arm back. Zeke was open, but wasn't able to get in-front/under the Safety and that is why it was such an easy pick.

The second being the huge 3 and 17 completion to Joey. Right before the snap, the corner moves 2 yards to his outside shoulder and allows him to go straight down the seam. Safety is over the top of Harper and Sean is able to put it inside shoulder to Joey. If the corner stays inside or straight up it likely changes the outcome.

Lastly, if you get a chance to watch the Demo touchdown, pay close attention to the first replay (3:14:25). You'll see him fighting right at the goal line and then a second defender comes in. The ball is actually jarred loose from his right hand before or as he's hitting the goal line. He's able to get his left hand under the ball and pull it in as he's rolling into the endzone.

Crazy and thought I'd share.