Summit League Football

Western_101

This has been brought up before.

Currently Summit Members NDSU, SDSU, WIU, and USD all rank ahead of every MVC member school.

(Obviously everyone on this board knows that the MVFC used to be the Gateway.) I'm still bent that the Gateway name was jettisoned to make way for a name that doesn't accurately reflect the membership.

Does anyone on this board think that WIU will receive and invite to the MVC? NDSU and SDSU are more appealing but they too will be snubbed.

I say strengthen the brand and Make the SUMMIT LEAGUE the big dog. NDSU, SDSU, WIU, USD, UND, and UNI as an associate member, maybe add a couple more Big Sky as associate members. This notion that MVC with it's under performing 5 members is piloting the 10 member MVFC seems to not only foster resentment but also seems unsustainable as the Summit does not perceive the MVC to be the Marque Brand it was a decade ago.

There exists not one educated football person that thinks 5 should control 10, when included in that 5 is InSU , SMS a weak SIU, a weak ISU and a reeling UNI.

If the Summit League decided to be an "everything league" UNI would be clamoring for associate membership to be a Summit League Football team.

I value the Nation's opinion.
Lakesbison

Never und!!! Rather take eastern Illinois on.

Also UNI begged for the mvfc name so they can keep their # 1 sport basketball happy

I wish the other way would happen, summit teams turned into all Missouri valley (put summit teams into own division). Missouri Valley East & West
Western_101

Good points LakesBison.

I was feeling a bit ornery and wanted to see if this topic would illicit any interest :D

I actually like Western's football conference Mates.

The Summit has become a very appealing brand, enough so that Oral Roberts wanted back in and Denver asked for a seat at the table.

My biggest issue is this: The Summit does not sponsor football nor does the Valley. Why should a Football only league that is comprised of schools from different primary conferences adopt the name of one primary conference over the other?

NDSU, SDSU, and to a lesser extent WIU football strengthens the "Valley" brand.
sealhall74

Call it whatever you want but a 12 team conference of schools which play both good FCS FB and BB would be freaking awesome.
Enough regional rivalries going on to keep a lot of fan interest in both sports. Right now in the Summit, WIU is missing those rivalries
which fuel the fire for the Dakota schools. How does this look?

UND NDSU SDSU USD Drake UNI (North Division) // Drake would need to upgrade their football program; they have the $$
WIU ISUr EIU SIU ISUb MSU (South Division)

Cant play every team every year in FB but every team in your division and three from the other division works OK. In hoops, no longer
a need to schedule those god-awful DIII teams to fill out a schedule.
Last edited by sealhall74 on Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

sealhall74 wrote:Call it whatever you want but a 12 team conference of schools which play both good FCS FB and BB would be freaking awesome.
Interesting proposal. Are we assuming that Youngstown State leaves to find a place in the east ???
sealhall74

wiu712 wrote:
sealhall74 wrote:Call it whatever you want but a 12 team conference of schools which play both good FCS FB and BB would be freaking awesome.
Interesting proposal. Are we assuming that Youngstown State leaves to find a place in the east ???
That was the assumption.
Western_101

Seal, that is a very intriguing and well conceived idea for a conference.

You basically are suggesting a better version of the MAC. Two divisions and so forth, I really like that quite a lot.
sealhall74

Another possibility is to bring in SEMO to the mix. Puts a little rivalry in play for the Missouri schools. YSU and ISUb are both probably closer to to most of the OVC schools than they are to the Dakota schools. So we could look at it as a simple trade: YSU and ISUb for EIU and SEMO.
Lakesbison

i just dont see this happening.

NDSU, Youngstown & UNI would bolt for the MAC if this happened, I am guessing.
fightingsiouxhawk

Lakesbison wrote:Never und!!! Rather take eastern Illinois on.

Also UNI begged for the mvfc name so they can keep their # 1 sport basketball happy

I wish the other way would happen, summit teams turned into all Missouri valley (put summit teams into own division). Missouri Valley East & West
You are full of hate for UND Lakebison. Everyone can see thru your lies and self-serving remarks, everyone knows UND would be an instant strong contender in all Summit sports. Its funny how everyone on this blog totally ignores your remarks. Let's hope the Bison leave for the MAC so the rest of us don't have to put up with your arrogance and stupidity. Have fun playing in the Quick Lane Bowl, the Foster Farms Bowl or the Belk Bowl when you make the big jump.