WIU vs North Dakota State (10/22/2016)

Necks2003

It would be nice to see what Norvell could do. There is a reason he had a chance to break several school records this year.
wiu712

North Dakota State won the game 21-13.

North Dakota State did not score in the 2nd half. So the Defense did their job.

Sean McGuire was 19 for 27 (183 yards). Easton Stick was 9 for 18 (160 yards).

North Dakota State had 197 rushing yards. Western had 86 rushing yards.

Attendance at Hanson Field = 5,329.
leatherface

Except for the final score, my wife and I really enjoyed the game and evening. Western played hard, and showed a lot of "tough". Nice game day atmosphere. A lot of NDSU folks there. We sat on the west side at the 50 about three rows up, and were basically surrounded by Bison. Good folks, no problems. Many more were on the east side, and, as usual the band did an excellent job. Folks might find something to nick pick about,however, it was a very nice evening. ST- the band looked smaller than in years past?
wiu712

leatherface wrote:The band looked smaller than in years past?
One noticeable difference this year: no cymbals in the band.

Write-up of the game from Sunday's Fargo newspaper:
http://www.inforum.com/sports/4142829-n ... n-illinois
rocki

leatherface wrote:Except for the final score, my wife and I really enjoyed the game and evening. Western played hard, and showed a lot of "tough". Nice game day atmosphere. A lot of NDSU folks there. We sat on the west side at the 50 about three rows up, and were basically surrounded by Bison. Good folks, no problems. Many more were on the east side, and, as usual the band did an excellent job. Folks might find something to nick pick about,however, it was a very nice evening. ST- the band looked smaller than in years past?
Agree with your take on the game. Other than wishing we had put the points on the board that we left on the field, it was a great game day. We were in the middle of Bison fans, too, and they're a nice bunch of people...I can't believe the number of people that make the trip this far, to be honest. (Maybe more 'Neck faithful make it to distant games than I realize - since I'm not able to go, up until the last couple of years and ESPN3 I haven't been able to judge)

I thought maybe the 'Necks could pull it out - until they got stopped at the 1 yard line. Still, they battled until the end.

Onto SD and showing that we lost nothing when Neilsen decided to move on. I don't think there's any doubt that Fisher is the right guy at the right time.

'Neck up, all!!!
Lakesbison

ndsu has a good following, tickets in fargo are impossible to get, some ndsu players from illinois, missouri easy drive for them and Chicago alums.

yes wiu played really well, couldve beat ndsu
leatherface

Good point. Two families close to us were from the Chicago area, and the couple next to us was from St. Louis.
sealhall74

Disappointed with outcome, a game we should have won, but that is football. A play here a play there usually determines the outcome of a competitive football game. I too thought the gameday atmosphere was pretty good. Nice and loud PA system. Good stuff happening on the video board. Track and Field team working hard on concessions, even making trips into the stands. ROTC kids selling raffle tickets. Not sure what/when the prize giveaway is/was but I bought a few tickets. I might have missed the raffle giveaway announcement as I was listening to the radio broadcast on my earphones. For the first time in a long time, I actually saw what was happening on the field well before Scott and Tom filled me in on the details. After game, I drove like a bat out of hell to get to Monmouth to catch end of Cubs game. Thought that Tooties West pub would be good stopping point. Wrong (looks like it is now closed up). Ended up at Petey's for the 9th inning. One out of Two Ws on the night is not too shabby. But I will say coming up with two more football wins this season may not be easy. Seems like we just struggle to get it done in the running game right now. Granted the Bison are probably the best in the country at stopping it but if you cant control the line of scrimmage and pick up yards consistently, you are not going very far in the playoffs, even if we are fortunate enough to get there. Same thing happened in Brookings. I have to question our physicality right now. On to next week, an emotional game for sure. Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. I think you just have to go out and do your own thing and have some fun doing it. What's done is done.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

sealhall74 wrote:Thought that Tooties West pub would be good stopping point. Wrong (looks like it is now closed up). Ended up at Petey's for the 9th inning.
Tootie's West received significant damage from an April fire.

Petey's Pub & Grill is my favorite place to stop after a Monmouth College football game. I go to the Monmouth home games when they do not conflict with a home game at Western.

The Fighting Scots are now 7-0 on the season. They were ranked #20 in last week's Poll. The goal now is to win the Midwest Conference and earn the automatic bid to the Playoffs.
sealhall74

Here is a question for the football rulebook experts. We know it is against the rules for an offensive player to aid a ball carrier by pushing him forward. But imagine this scenario if you will. Very short yardage goal line situation like the one we had on Saturday night. Two backs behind QB in I formation. Upon snap, lead back gets down on all fours just behind QB. Trail back runs straight forward, jumps onto the backside of lead back and vaults himself into the air while receiving handoff from QB. Assuming he gets some decent height, I think the law of gravity would come into play and landing in the endzone would almost be a certainty. That ball carrier would have to be one brave Leatherneck though. So question is is this a legal play? Taking it a step further, the lead back could even provide a little extra propulsion by exploding up off the turf at just the right time although getting the tiiming right would take some practice. Would that little extra propulsion still be legal?

I remember two years ago when the Bison pulled that halfback pass to QB Wentz at a critical time of the game. When push comes to shove, good teams do not leave plays in their playbook for the next week.
Embrace the pace of the race.