WIU at South Dakota (10/29/2016)

wiu712

Down by 17 at the half (31-14), Western outscores USD in the 2nd half 21 to 3 and won the game 35-34.

Attendance at USD = 8,412.

Regarding student attendance at games: This has been a problem everywhere. Times have changed since most of us were going to games. Attendance at high school games is also down.
yokedneck

1721Higgins wrote:Can someone please explain to me why the offensive gets so conservative in the 2nd half? It's been the same all season they can move the ball up and down the field the entire 1st half and then when they come out from halftime the offense gets predictable and doesn't really take the shots it did in the first half. A team can't rely on the defense to make a stand like they have the last few games especially with how beat up the defense is.

Interesting question over on the Yotes Board. I believe the answer wears a long sleeve button down shirt with a red tie. Used to be a purple tie.
I was thinking the same thing as the third quarter unfolded. Again the opening possessions of the third set the tone. We score to get back within ten. After a nice drive we force USD to turnover the ball on downs.

At that point USD was killing us with their tempo (no huddle) offense, but they appeared to want to work clock and tried running the ball exclusively on the next 2-3 series in the third.

Redzone we're 4-4 all TDs. USD 6-7 with 4 TDs and 2 FGs plus the fumble :shock:

I will say this. These game endings inject me with enough adrenaline that the 4+ hour drives back to KC are a piece of cake.

Scott- sorry about the Cubs. You just can't beat the AL Central man. :twisted:

Tom
[thinkpurple]Leatherneck Football[/thinkpurple]
wiu712

Coyotes let one slip away against Leathernecks.

From Sunday's Sioux Falls Argus Leader:
http://www.argusleader.com/story/sports ... /92885712/
sealhall74

wiu712 wrote:Coyotes let one slip away against Leathernecks.

Nielson's play calling still baffles me to this day. Last year against Yotes, early in game, Nikko blasts through the left C gap for two long gainers and we got up on 'em very early in game. He never went to same C gap rest of the half - instead, all running plays went right. SMH
Embrace the pace of the race.
rocki

sealhall74 wrote:
wiu712 wrote:Coyotes let one slip away against Leathernecks.

Nielson's play calling still baffles me to this day. Last year against Yotes, early in game, Nikko blasts through the left C gap for two long gainers and we got up on 'em very early in game. He never went to same C gap rest of the half - instead, all running plays went right. SMH
Eh, as long as he's not coaching the 'Necks he can do all the baffling things he wants to. ;)
Neckfansince71

Gotta give Coach Fisher a lot of credit. He walked into an emotional situation on Saturday that he did not create that he had to manage in order to get the victory over USD. He mentioned after the game that he felt like the players were trying "too" hard, over playing! With all of the emotion from playing Coach Nielsen for the first time since his departure I am sure everyone wanted to do just that much more. The TV commentators mentioned the fact that the middle was really open in the 2nd quarter, an area that is usually Brett Taylor's to manage. I wonder if some of that was just due to trying to do too much? Not sure what Coach Fisher said at half time, but he obviously had the attention of a team that seemed very frustrated and a bit out of whack. Once the Necks refocused their emotion and got back to business things on the field changed. Wonder if the USD players wondered what had hit them in the second half after the game was over. Holding on to a lead can be a very tough thing to do as Coach N and his boy's found out and something that the Yote board will be debating for the rest of the season. What a heck of a way to win, what a win! Time to pay back the Red-birds for last years two defeats. ;) jc
OldHare

The Leathernecks played through the 4th quarter and stayed in top half of conference. Congratulations on the win.
leatherneckcountry

I'm not going to bad mouth Nielsen to much cause the product on the field was a lot better when he left than when he got here but the one thing that frustrated me when he was here was how many close games we lost with questionable play calling as far as lack of students the staff has done a great job of reaching out to alumni but the athletic office needs to reach out to the students. I'm always frustrated cause I'm always at the game before the peach blossom yet no matter where I sit they always find a way to sit near me and there is a red head that always rubs me the wrong way and I'M not the only one the Indiana State game I saw him giving an OPS officer back talk when the officer to chill out I don't pay for a ticket to go watch them.
Neckfansince71

I re-watched the end of the game a little while ago and watched carefully at the USD and WIU coaches and players reactions to the end of the game. Coach Nielsen and Coach Fisher did exchange a short handshake and that was pretty much it. Not a lot of USD players came out on the field after, some did though and Coach Fisher had a nice exchange with the USD quarterback. What was striking to me was the time a number of USD coaches spent talking, greeting and being hugged by WIU players. I liked Bob Nielsens staff and thought they all had a lot of class and the exchange on the field after the game definitely proved that point once again. Coach Nielsen definitely got the ball rolling for the Leathernecks once again, but Coach Fisher and staff have taken these kids to a new level. ;) jc
wiu51

I just hope this isn't like when Coach Ball left. Ball built a good team and when he left Patterson had a good team for a few years then it went downhill.