WIU at South Dakota (10/29/2016)

BobLovely

wiu51 wrote:I just hope this isn't like when Coach Ball left. Ball built a good team and when he left Patterson had a good team for a few years then it went downhill.
I believe Coach Fisher and his staff are and will be better recruiters than Neilsen and his staff. I am sure there are others with more "insider knowledge" that will agree with this statement.

Bob
rocki

BobLovely wrote:
wiu51 wrote:I just hope this isn't like when Coach Ball left. Ball built a good team and when he left Patterson had a good team for a few years then it went downhill.
I believe Coach Fisher and his staff are and will be better recruiters than Neilsen and his staff. I am sure there are others with more "insider knowledge" that will agree with this statement.

Bob
No insider information, but I have a feeling you are right. Look what he was able to do in the limited time he had this last year. I can only imagine it going up (depending on the state $$$ situation, of course) when he has the full amount of time to work with.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I don't think we'll see that, for a couple of reasons.

1. We've already seen some of Coach Fisher's recruits and transfers that he's brought in do some serious contributing, and that was in a shortened recruiting window. I can't wait to see who he can bring in given a full season of recruiting and visits and stuff.

2. If you look at the record though, yea, Ball had some great teams from ~'96-'98 and there was a little bit of a drop off after that for a couple of years (most likely due to the best RB in school history being done and heading off to play pro football), but then in '02 and '03 we had really great seasons too, and only a few of Ball's recruits would have still been there by then, if any. Also, if you look at the end of Patterson's tenure here, we were trending back up...6-5 for a couple of seasons, then we had the crazy 1-10 year with all the Coach P health stuff and getting "let go" or whatever that was plus Barr getting injured, but then 2010 was really good too...8-5, made playoffs, had amazing QB, WR, LB, etc...and those all would have been Coach P's recruits even though it was Hendrickson coaching them. Honestly I think that if Patterson had been able to stay here until he retired, he would have been one of those coaches where we have teams that are really really good for a couple of years, then we drop back down to middle-of-the-pack, then work our way back up near the top...kinda like that over and over, but even in the bad years, we're not a "doormat".

The situation that we're in now, I think Coach Fisher and his staff can both recruit really well and coach really well, as evidenced by the team not giving up and losing in the latter half of most games. They stay in it, they keep fighting. Maybe they don't end up successful, like against NDSU, but they've won most of the games, and like they say "Good teams find a way to win". It's stressful, it's ugly at times, but we've clawed out win after win. We've got 3 more very winnable games this season, and if we come away with even one 1 out of those 3, then we're likely in the playoffs and we'd have increased our win total for the regular season again, for the 5th year in a row. Coach Nielson could recruit really well...I'll give him that...he brought in some really great players, but he was frequently out coached in the second half of games...something you now see happening with USD.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

The best recruiting Coach Fisher could do would be to run the table, earn a seed in playoffs, and win at least two more games. Hopefully a few solid recruits will be in the stands watching the show. A lot of verbals have already been captured though.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

Three minute highlight video from Saturday's game:
rocki

The highlight video is great!!! I just hope that we get up early and stay up this game. What is an adrenaline rush to these kids is heart palpitations to me. :lol: They need to be more gentle on us older folks. ;)
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote:Three minute highlight video from Saturday's game:
Hey wiu712, just so you're aware, you can embed videos from youtube right in the posts if you want. If you go to the video page on youtube, click the "Share" link, it'll give you a shortened address that'll look like this:

If you put that between youtube tags

Code: Select all

[youtube]https://youtu.be/4HA_CXxAG0o[/youtube]
then it'll show up embedded. You can also use the youtube button on the far right top of the editing window.

Here's the embedded version:
[youtube][/youtube]
wiu712

ST_Lawson wrote:Hey wiu712, just so you're aware, you can embed videos from youtube right in the posts if you want.
I am not seeing that "Share" link or the upper right button.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote:
ST_Lawson wrote:Hey wiu712, just so you're aware, you can embed videos from youtube right in the posts if you want.
I am not seeing that "Share" link or the upper right button.
The share button is on Youtube, under the title and "publisher" area...looks like this:

If you look below the Rocky head, you see "Add to", "Share", and "More". Clicking on Share gives you a shortened link.

And here on LN, the "youtube" button should be right above the post text window, to the far right of the buttons. See below for the location (at least with how I see the site...let me know if you don't see this stuff):