WIU vs Illinois State (11/5/2016)

sealhall74

The play of the game occurred in 1st Qtr around 10 minute mark. WIU defense gets a 3 and out stop, offense marches efficiently down the field to ISUr 7 yard line. We are left with a 3rd and 1. Gilmore comes in with another HBack on right side of line. That HBack pulls back across the line directly in front of Gilmore who gets the handoff. Gilmore all bottled up for a small loss. Dumbest play you could run in that position. I have seen that one fail over and over this season. It was all downhill from there, starting with the subsequent missed FG.

BTW, Wiki tells me that the primary purpose of the HBack (modified tight end) is to counteract pressure from the defensive end in passing situations. So what good is he as a blocker in a running situation? Maybe somethng around his end but that is it IMHO.
Embrace the pace of the race.
meganeck

I agree, I know it was early but seemed like a turning point in the game, they needed a TD there.
Leatherneck57

I was very disappointed from the outcome yesterday! I can't begin to tell you how sick I am of losing to Illinois State. We should have won that game. On to UNI....

But what I'm most sick about is the lack of our student support at football games. Our student body needs to wake up and start supporting their teams and attend games. When I played you couldn't get a seat when we played ISU...no matter what the records were! It's really pathetic and I feel for our players!

But on the bright side we landed a big time D Tackle from Indiana that was on campus yesterday that had offers from Illinois State, Eastern Illinois and several other schools including the FBS. The kid is a stud!

Lebanon DL Luke Terrill 6'3 285 had a great day at the SOS Jr Showcase. Most impressive defensive lineman. @TerrillLuke

LN57
wiu712

Leatherneck57 wrote:What I'm most sick about is the lack of our student support at football games. Our student body needs to wake up and start supporting their teams and attend games. When I played you couldn't get a seat when we played ISU...no matter what the records were!

The student section is no longer on the east side. It is now in Sections F and G (north end) of the west stands. I saw a large number of students in F and G. Of course, there is always room for more.

The only way to describe Saturday's attendance is by saying "Very Disappointing". You had the nation's #11-ranked team playing their biggest rival on a beautiful, sunny, and warm afternoon. And the crowd was only 3,589.

Four years ago in 2012, we had over 16,000 for the ISU game at Hanson Field. That game was played in September. The 2014 game drew 4,641 for an October game. So it appears that our attendance is a downward spiral at the moment.

Any thoughts about that ????
Tere North

wiu712 wrote:The student section is no longer on the east side. It is now in Sections F and G (north end) of the west stands. I saw a large number of students in F and G
Why would students want to move from the East side new stands to the west side old stands AND be in virtual endzone seats?
sealhall74

Regarding student support at weekend sporting events, I think you can reliably predict it by hanging out at the Macomb train station and see how many students are heading to the north and east on a Friday afternoon/evening.

Also, take a look at this week's online Courier. Good luck finding word one about the upcoming now past ISUr game. I know there are many other information avenues, but I still find this slightly mind-boggling.

http://westerncourier.com/category/sports/

As for which side is preferable, from a strictly fan perspective (close to concessions and restrooms, comfort of seat, etc.), the east side is much preferable as long as the sun is very high or a night game.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Leatherneck57

But on the bright side we landed a big time D Tackle from Indiana that was on campus yesterday that had offers from Illinois State, Eastern Illinois and several other schools including the FBS. The kid is a stud!

Lebanon DL Luke Terrill 6'3 285 had a great day at the SOS Jr Showcase. Most impressive defensive lineman. @TerrillLuke
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2680313/hig ... /308665488

LN57
wiu712

Tere North wrote:Why would students want to move from the East side new stands to the west side old stands AND be in virtual endzone seats?
One of the student football assistants told me that Coach Fisher wants the students on the same side as the team. Section E had a lot of students yesterday. It is a "Reserved" section, but not all of the seats were sold. So it was open for general seating.

sealhall74 wrote:Take a look at this week's online Courier. Good luck finding word one about the upcoming now past ISUr game.
The Courier website is still showing articles from Monday's (Oct 31) paper. Friday's print edition did have a big article about the Illinois State game.
Leatherneck57 wrote:But on the bright side we landed a big time D Tackle from Indiana that was on campus yesterday.
I saw several recruits at the game. They were wearing "VIP" hang tags.
DrummerNeck14

As far as lack of student support I think there's two things going on. First, culturally school support and pride is dying out in general, not just at WIU but at other college's and high schools in general. When I was in school, the athletes were well respected, and student bodies enjoyed going and cheering/heckling at the sporting events. This was done at the high school level, and then continued once kids graduated and went colleges, like Western, Illinois State, Eastern, U of I, etc. However, those attitudes and practices have gone down hill, especially in recent years. As a high school teacher, I see it everyday, both at the two school's I've taught at and my own home high school. Dress up day's for spirit week, attendants at student pep rallies/activities, and amounts of students that pay attention to and cheer for their own high school teams are all way down. Even wearing your jersey on game day is down, and Letterman jackets have gone almost extinct. It's just not "cool" to have a lot of school spirit anymore, which is a very confusing and troubling trend to me.
Second, the few students that do like to cheer and "get into" the game day atmosphere look for schools that provide that when making a choice on where they attend college. If I was a senior this year and trying to decide if I wanted to get my education degree from Western or Illinois State, and I went to games at both, the lack of student/fan support would not be a the biggest factor, but definitely be on my mind when making my choice. Peppy students go to peppy schools, so the students that want to cheer aren't coming here. I've even asked current students that are in my former fraternity why literally none of them make it out of the parking into the stadium. There answers are A) they can't drink in the stadium, and B) they really don't care about the game, or Western sports in general. Again, I haven't done any major research into this, so hopefully I'm wrong about this being a long term trend, but that just what my little bit of asking current students, and noticing high school/college trends has led me to believe is going on.
wiu712

DrummerNeck14 wrote:School support and pride is dying out in general, not just at WIU but at other college's and high schools in general.
For a few years at UIUC, they were having difficulty getting enough students at the game to form the traditional "Block I".