WIU vs Illinois State (11/5/2016)

beauspencer

Four years ago in 2012, we had over 16,000 for the ISU game at Hanson Field. That game was played in September. The 2014 game drew 4,641 for an October game. So it appears that our attendance is a downward spiral at the moment.

Any thoughts about that ????
My thoughts....the attendances are not greatly exaggerated anymore.
wiu51

Any attendance figure during the TVA era was a lie. When the men's bball team was good in 13 I think I said Tim they announced there was an attendance record tonight but there are less people than Thursday. He said it's a big game and were pushing for a record so we can't say there are less people here.
sealhall74

wiu51 wrote:Any attendance figure during the TVA era was a lie. When the men's bball team was good in 13 I think I said Tim they announced there was an attendance record tonight but there are less people than Thursday. He said it's a big game and were pushing for a record so we can't say there are less people here.
Oh crap. The system really was "rigged". :lol:
Embrace the pace of the race.
Tere North

sealhall74 wrote:
wiu51 wrote:Any attendance figure during the TVA era was a lie. When the men's bball team was good in 13 I think I said Tim they announced there was an attendance record tonight but there are less people than Thursday. He said it's a big game and were pushing for a record so we can't say there are less people here.
Oh crap. The system really was "rigged". :lol:

But it was a record ..... for that particular day, time, and location :lol:
wiu712

Getting people to show up at games is a problem at a lot of places. Earlier this fall, the Monmouth Review Atlas had a story about a high school football game at one of the Monmouth area schools. I think that it was Biggsville West Central. The article said that there were fewer than 100 people at that game. And weather was not a factor.

The older people will remember that the Illinois Boys H.S. Basketball Tournament used to draw big crowds. Now the games are played to a half empty arena.

Times have changed. If a student did not go to their high school games, they are probably not going to the Western games unless they have a connection to one of the players through dorm life, Greek life, etc.
LocalYokelFan

I'd love to get LN57's take on the WIU secondary. They show small flashes of being alright, but generally "bad" is the only way to describe them. Seems to me Coach Elson has been the whipping boy of MVFC OCs for some time now; is he the guy to figure it out? My optimism for this team is waning, I hope the 'Necks can right this ship quickly. Mostly, I just hate losing to ISU and I have no problem wearing that frustration on my sleeve.

As for attendance, I agree, it's disappointing. I'll go back to what I asked awhile ago... is WIU a good fit for D1 athletics? WIU athletics at this level are highly subsidized by a student body that is largely indifferent to consuming the product. I think we all need to enjoy it as long as we can because I just don't see it being very sustainable; though in this case I hope I'm wrong. Who knows, maybe a surprise run this fall by FB and a breakout year in BB could provide a sustaining spark.
rocki

Very disappointing game. Had chances to win it, but like with NDSU, left the points on the field.

Not particularly excited for the next two games. The way we're going, it will be another non-playoff season. Too bad for Lenoir and Borsellino, in particular. :(
BobLovely

wiu712 wrote:Getting people to show up at games is a problem at a lot of places. Earlier this fall, the Monmouth Review Atlas had a story about a high school football game at one of the Monmouth area schools. I think that it was Biggsville West Central. The article said that there were fewer than 100 people at that game. And weather was not a factor.

The older people will remember that the Illinois Boys H.S. Basketball Tournament used to draw big crowds. Now the games are played to a half empty arena.

Times have changed. If a student did not go to their high school games, they are probably not going to the Western games unless they have a connection to one of the players through dorm life, Greek life, etc.
Attendance is certainly a problem at Western and at other colleges. However, I have attended games at both Wisconsin and Kansas State this year and the student sections were packed and the students were raucous and enthusiastic. Tradition of high student attendance is still alive with some programs and not others.

Obviously, "times have changed" but this does not fully explain high attendance at some schools versus low attendance at others. There must be other factors in addition to the "connections" you mention above. This may or may not include facilities and amenities. Perhaps, Western has turned into a weekend "commuter school" whereby a large number of students head home on weekends.

Hopefully, we can identify the "root cause" of low student attendance at Western. Only then, can the problem be addressed.

Bob
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

BobLovely wrote:Attendance is certainly a problem at Western and at other colleges. However, I have attended games at both Wisconsin and Kansas State this year and the student sections were packed and the students were raucous and enthusiastic. Tradition of high student attendance is still alive with some programs and not others.

Obviously, "times have changed" but this does not fully explain high attendance at some schools versus low attendance at others. There must be other factors in addition to the "connections" you mention above. This may or may not include facilities and amenities. Perhaps, Western has turned into a weekend "commuter school" whereby a large number of students head home on weekends.

Hopefully, we can identify the "root cause" of low student attendance at Western. Only then, can the problem be addressed.

Bob
I don't have all the answers either, but my best guess at this point is that it's a combination of facilities, opponents, and success plus lack of "school spirit". Essentially, it seems like there are plenty of students who are into college football, but with the growth of other avenues of following/watching games, they don't feel like they have to "settle" for Western when they can pop up Nebraska at Wisconsin on the big screen with the big sound system and "be there". It's obviously not quite the same as standing there jumping up and down in Camp Randall at the start of the 4th quarter, but it's a lot closer than it has been even 10 years ago.

And when students don't feel like they need to go to the stadium to get the same or better experience, they'll sit in their rooms with friends and beer and watch the games from there.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherface

One thing I have noticed while attending some games the last few years was the lack of any Greek presence. Or at least not noticeable. Also, some others are correct that technologies and other avenues make it possible to do other things or watch other things. The days of athletics being the "only game in town" are over in some ways. Now, the large schools located in metro areas or who are traditional national players will generally attract crowds- they can make a big game day experience around the game. When we lived in Missouri, going to a Mizzou game was a social event that a lot of folks wanted to be a part of.The Clydesdales, flyover's from Scott Air Base, huge band, and television made for quite a show- along with seeing recognized football powers play.

To be honest, I believe football in general is showing a slow negative trend. Some of which I believe can be pointed at coaches who no longer seem interested in character building along with winning. Too many coaches recruiting too many thugs who seem to constantly be in the news for crimes. Coaches who we find out were unethical too. Not only football, look at basketball and the problems there with coaches-Syracuse etc. I remember a national coach a few years ago quoted as saying he didn't really grasp the need to tell players they wouldn't be a part of the program if they committed a felony until it became an issue he had to deal with each year. Money, Money, Money. I worked at a private small liberal arts school-NAIA- and, even there we had coaches who were always trying unethical- or at least borderline- ways to admit players with baggage or low test scores. Any way, I think some of this news has turned some folks off. Not saying this affects Western specifically.

People have many more ways to spend a Saturday afternoon than ever before.

All of my gibberish for today.:)