WIU vs Northern Iowa (11/12/2016)

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Image VS Image

Date/Time: Saturday, November 12 at 1 PM

Weather Forecast (as of 11/10): High of 53 forecasted, 50 at kickoff, ~50% humidity, clear/sunny, very little wind (still can’t get over how beautiful the weather has been this season)
TV: Like all MVFC matchups this season, available on ESPN3/WatchESPN.com
Links: UNI’s Record
The Panthers are currently 4-5 overall, 3-3 in the MVFC.
They have wins over:
  • Iowa State (25-20)
  • Southern Illinois (42-21)
  • Missouri State (61-7)
  • Indiana State (39-6)
Lost against:
  • Montana (20-14)
  • Eastern Washington (34-30)
  • South Dakota (28-25)
  • Youngstown State (14-10)
  • North Dakota State (24-20)
UNI has had a pretty rough season this year (for UNI). For the most part, their losses have been very close and against very good teams (by 4 points at Eastern Washington...probably the best team in the country right now, by 4 points to NDSU...probably 2nd best in the country, etc.), but they did also lose at South Dakota by 3 points. The last couple of wins, they seem to have found their offense, blowing out MSU by 54 points, for example.

The History
We’ve played the Panthers a total of 44 times going back to 1967, and every year back to 1978. Overall, we have a 14-30 record against UNI, although there have been some very memorable wins in that timeframe. The ‘97 2OT win at Homecoming where a late UNI TD made it look like they’d win, but a bobble on the XP and return for 85 yards for a 2-pt defensive conversion took the game to OT where WIU won on a Aaron Stecker 25-yard TD run….the ‘00 win at the UNIDome on a last-second 56-yard Mike Scifres FG to win the game, the conference championship, and the Gateway Conference auto-bid to the playoffs...the 16-point defeat of the conference champion in 2010 to secure a playoff spot...and of course last year’s win at the UNIDome where Aaron Diggs had a 95-yard pick-6.

Team Stat Analysis
Here’s the team’s stat comparisons courtesy of the NCAA.

So, looking at the comparisons between the two teams, UNI has one of the best defenses in the country...while we...well….we do not. We definitely have talent, but have some youth and inexperience combined with a few key injuries that have hurt. UNI’s strong suit is their front line guys (I’ll talk about them in just a bit), who only gives up an average of 120 yards per game on the ground, 19.3 points per game, and includes the guy who is currently #1 in the FCS in sacks. We are, however, the best team in the conference at preventing sacks, so it’ll be interesting to see how they do on that front. UNI also has a very good turnover margin, averaging +1 per game, in large part to them being the #2 team in the FCS for interceptions, with a 1.8 per game average.

Key Opposition Players
DL Karter Schult - why am I starting with a D-lineman?...well, he’s that guy who is #1 in the country for sacks, averaging 1.44 per game, along with 6.8 tackles per game. He’s the best D-Lineman in the MVFC, if not all of the FCS.

LB Jared Farley - Leads the team averaging 7.3 tackles per game. If the name sounds familiar, it’s because his dad is the head coach.

DB Malcolm Washington - Leads the team for interceptions with 4. They also have two other players with 3 interceptions and another with 2.

QB Eli Dunne - Has really only played 2 full games this season. Had a few attempts in their game against YSU, after the regular starting QB Bailey had a hard hit and sat out of the game for a little bit. However, after that loss at YSU, Bailey was benched and Dunne got the start. He played against MSU and NDSU, averaging 317 yards and 2 TDs per game passing. He did have a bit of a rough go with NDSU though, throwing 4 interceptions in that game. Dunne was injured and sat out their next game at Indiana State, but I’ve heard that he will be starting against us this weekend (his 3rd career start). He’s good, but young and inexperienced, so we might be able to exploit that some.

WR Marcus Weymiller - Not great numbers for the season (looks like he might have played a little, but never touched the ball until last weekend). At Indiana State, however, Weymiller (again...he’s listed as a WR?)...rushed for 171 yards on 9 carries. How’s that work?...wildcat...apparently with the starting QB out with injury (and the replacements throwing for a total of 121 passing yards), they mostly went with Weymiller taking snaps from the Wildcat and running.

RB Michael Malloy - seems like they’ve decided he’s their “go-to” guy at the goal line, picking up 3 TDs against Indiana State last week and 2 against Missouri State. He also doubled his previous high for number of carries in a game last week with 18 runs.

RB Tyvis Smith - technically leads the team in rushing yards with 597 (also 3 TDs), but really took a back seat to Weymiller and Malloy last weekend. Not sure if that’s due to injury or what, and if he might be back this week.

The Game

So, Dunne will be back this week, which is probably good news for the UNI offense, since the “replacement” offense relied more on the run game, which we’re a bit better at stopping, and Dunne is a MUCH better passer than anyone else on their roster. We’ll really have to do a good job of keeping the ball out of the DBs hands...they can be pretty grabby...don’t need any more pick-sixes. Despite UNI’s record, they really should be a playoff team, especially how they’ve been playing lately, although if they don’t win their last two games (against us and SDSU) pretty convincingly, they won’t be in it. We can win this game, but we have to play much better than we have been playing. I think the guys will come out energized against UNI (as opposed to the ISU game last weekend...bleh) and put together a mostly complete game. We’ll probably have to conduct much of the offense through the air, so I think we’ll see pretty good games yardage-wise out of Lenoir, Borsellino, and maybe Lesure. Run game will probably have trouble unless McShane and Gilmore are able to slip through the line and find some space. Not too worried about stopping the run game, but defending the pass could be an issue.

I think UNI has the overall advantage, but it’s not by a giant amount or anything. Most places give us better odds than we had against NDSU, and if it weren’t for a couple of key plays, we easily could have won that game, so it’s winnable, but we’ll have to play solid, mistake-free football to do it. I’m hoping we will, so my prediction will reflect that...high scoring, lots of passing yards on both sides...probably something around a 40-36 Leatherneck win to finish out the the last home game of the season (barring some playoff craziness).
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

Preview of Saturday's game as seen on tonight's WGEM Sports with Ben Marth:
http://www.wgem.com/story/33684073/2016 ... es-to-town
BobLovely

This game is critical for us. In order to win we will have to play a complete game with better fundamentals and execution. As such:

Western Illinois 37
Northern Iowa 35

Attendance: Lousy

Bob
sealhall74

How weird is it to be a top 25 ranked team playing at home as a 7 point underdog to an unranked team? Obviously, the polls do not mean much (second time I have said that this week). 7-4 is not going to cut it if you have lost to two 6-5 teams both on your home turf. Also agree that we need more pressure from up front on defense (we are last in sacks). It no longer makes sense to play it safe on defense. Keep destiny in your own hands.

WIU 33
UNI 27
Embrace the pace of the race.
yokedneck

Last week was on me (us). I failed to post prior to kick off. I wore the wrong shoes, and my wife left the house without her Rocky earrings and WIU necklace. All correctable this week starting with this post.

Doing our part with 15 family/friends in town for Senior Day to attend the game. Bringing several who were present for the NIU win.

On the OL front for the first time in 9 games there will be a change in the starting line up. Andrew Nichols (65) will replace Drew Wagner (76) at LG. Drew had a pretty severe ankle sprain early in last week's game. It's possible Drew could play if needed, but the ankle is still tender and painful.

Guys are focused. Not a lot of happy campers after last weeks debacle.

I think we need 2 wins to not lose sleep over a playoff spot. Splitting we're probably OK? 6-5 I fear would not get us in since it would mean a 3 game losing streak to end the year.

Tom
[thinkpurple]Leatherneck Football[/thinkpurple]
OldHare

Yokedneck; There are many who will encourage you to get the routine back to order and send the Panthers home with a loss. The MVFC will not send the Panthers to the playoffs this year. The Leathernecks and Jackrabbits should make the cut though with a couple of wins each. Enjoy the this great weather to watch football in November. Brookings may get to 60 tomorrow.
letsgonecks

yokedneck wrote:Last week was on me (us). I failed to post prior to kick off. I wore the wrong shoes, and my wife left the house without her Rocky earrings and WIU necklace. All correctable this week starting with this post.

Doing our part with 15 family/friends in town for Senior Day to attend the game. Bringing several who were present for the NIU win.

On the OL front for the first time in 9 games there will be a change in the starting line up. Andrew Nichols (65) will replace Drew Wagner (76) at LG. Drew had a pretty severe ankle sprain early in last week's game. It's possible Drew could play if needed, but the ankle is still tender and painful.

Guys are focused. Not a lot of happy campers after last weeks debacle.

I think we need 2 wins to not lose sleep over a playoff spot. Splitting we're probably OK? 6-5 I fear would not get us in since it would mean a 3 game losing streak to end the year.

Tom
No no, this one is on me. For the first time in almost ten years, I didn't play our game in PS3 NCAA football. Made the mistake of spending time with my family.....wont happen again.
rocki

Best of luck to your son tomorrow, Tom!

I hope they all surprise the heck out of me and pull out a win.

Go 'Necks!!!!!!!!!!
JoeWx21

2 keys for this game.
On offense, Sean's ability to notice coverage blitzes and make good passes. Also, establishing the running game.
On defense, bring pressure on the QB from the front 7. Haven't much of it the last few games.

Do those things and there is a chance WIU can beat UNI on senior and clinch a spot into the playoffs.
wiu712

Leathernecks face desperate Northern Iowa.
From today's McDonough County Voice:
http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/20 ... thern-iowa

It was sunny and 29 this morning in Macomb.

Will be sunny and 54 this afternoon.
Winds: SSW at 6 mph.
UV Index: 3 of 10.
Sunsets at 4:47 PM.

It's the final regular season home game for Leatherneck Football, as Western plays host to Northern Iowa. Kickoff is scheduled for 1 p.m. The game will be on ESPN3.

MILITARY APPRECIATION DAY
Western Illinois is proud to have Military Appreciation Day for the regular season home finale. The Leathernecks will honor the Military with new helmet stickers. Saturday, Western will wear the 'W' on one side, and the other will be the player's uniform number designed with the American flag.

"It is a special weekend with Veterans Day and The Military Appreciation game. We want to honor our military with our helmets, which will have numbers with the American Flag design on them. Our coaching staff will also wear camouflage pants," said head coach Charlie Fisher. "This is a reflection of our deepest respect for those who have served, those currently serving, and the many who made the ultimate sacrifice to protect and preserve our freedom. Western Illinois has a long association with the military and our Leatherneck name and today we proudly say Thank You."

SENIOR DAY
Western Illinois will honor 13 student-athletes in a pre-game ceremony Saturday. The Leathernecks have 11 seniors to be introduced, one junior who will graduate in May, and a former player who has been working with the equipment staff this year. The ROTC seniors will also be recognized pre-game when they will lead the Leathernecks onto the field. The band and cheerleader seniors will also be announced during the game. Thank you seniors for all you do for Western Illinois University!

MORE GIVE-AWAY ITEMS FOR STUDENTS AND FANS
There are more opportunities on Saturday for more FREE items. Everyone can sign up at the main entrance to win a 43" TV. WIU students can go to the Purple Platoon tent pre-game in Q-Lot to sign up and win a Beats Pill. Winners will be announced in the 4th quarter and must be present to win.