Playoff Chances

Leatherneck177

I think you nailed it, I've been adamant from the beginning that a 7-4 Western makes it...and quite honestly I think most of us would have agreed at the start of the season.

The folks on AGS keep trying to pin Western as squarely on the bubble, but I just don't buy that at all...period. I sent a few tweets to Craig Haley from Stats FCS...who has long covered FCS football going back to the Sports Network days and even the early 2000's. He says YSU and WIU solidly in with a win tomorrow, possibly even UNI with a win. He is usually spot on with this stuff.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Leatherneck177 wrote:I think you nailed it, I've been adamant from the beginning that a 7-4 Western makes it...and quite honestly I think most of us would have agreed at the start of the season.

The folks on AGS keep trying to pin Western as squarely on the bubble, but I just don't buy that at all...period. I sent a few tweets to Craig Haley from Stats FCS...who has long covered FCS football going back to the Sports Network days and even the early 2000's. He says YSU and WIU solidly in with a win tomorrow, possibly even UNI with a win. He is usually spot on with this stuff.
Yea, Haley generally knows his FCS pretty well. He's been covering it as long as I've been paying attention to it, essentially. I have had to toss a couple of corrections his way every now and then...but only like 2-3 in the last 20 years and mostly just accidentally putting Lumberjacks instead of Leathernecks, or something minor like that. I think the AGS people that think that Western is a bubble team with a win are just a couple...most people think we're in if we win (as evidenced by the fact that nearly every bracket that has been proposed or posted by people include Western...even the ones from this week). It remains to be seen whether they'll send us south to somewhere like Central Arkansas or Sam Houston State (whoever the loser of that game is) or Samford, or if they send us north to someplace like North Dakota or Montana. That probably depends on whether UNI makes it or not and if SDSU is a seed or just an at-large.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
letsgonecks

Some bubble games to watch. Some good match-ups and some games that should be won, but you never know!!!!

WIU at SIU obviously - win (7-4) we should be in.

UNI vs SDSU - UNI wins (6-5) and their fate depends on our game, the the games below, and the committee.

N. Colorado at Cal Poly - CP wins (7-4) they're in. N. Colorado wins they're hoping their 7-4 (non D1 victory) doesn't lose out to other potential 7-4 teams or a potential 6-5 UNI (like us last year over 7-4 N Dakota and NAU who had non D1 victories).

Montana State at Montana - Montana wins (7-4) they're in. No 6-5 dream like UNI in what would be losing 4 of their last 5.

Weber State at Idaho State - WS win (7-4) would put them 3rd in the Big Sky and a good chance to be in.

New Hampshire at Maine - Winner (7-4) in / loser out.

Duquesne at Central Connecticut State - Duquesne wins (8-3) and they'll get consideration, but might not take and at-large from the Northeast.

UT Martin at Jacksonville State - If UT Martin wins (8-4) they're in. If they lose (7-5) they're likely out with 1 extra game and a non D1 win.

Tennessee State at SEMS - T State wins (7-4) and they're close

Fordham at Bucknell - Fordham wins (7-4) and they're close

Dayton vs idle - hoping to be what I believe would be the first ever at-large Pioneer team.

Wofford vs VMI - Wofford wins (8-3) and they're in / lose and they're like other potential 7-4 teams with a non D1 victory.

Samford at ETSU - Samford wins (8-3) they're in / lose and same boat as above, but would top Wofford as they beat them.

NC A&T at NC Central - A&T wins they get the auto, if they lose to they might get in at 9-2 with FBS MAC (Kent State) win and only other loss to a good FBS Tulsa.

Southeastern Louisiana likely punched their ticket last night finishing 7-4 and 3rd overall in the Southland.

Exciting last week of the regular season. I sure hope it's the most stress free game we've watched since NAU!!!!!!!!
WIU02

Everyone relax, and focus on the game this afternoon. Win and we're in. You don't finish 7-4 with a FBS win in the toughest FCS conference and miss the playoffs. The resume is secured at that point.

-Matt
Leatherneck57

WIU02 wrote:Everyone relax, and focus on the game this afternoon. Win and we're in. You don't finish 7-4 with a FBS win in the toughest FCS conference and miss the playoffs. The resume is secured at that point.

-Matt
Good advice!!
letsgonecks

In my opinion we're a win and no doubter. If all the teams win that need to win, teams will be leftout that feel they belong.

Outsiders might question a few things.

If EIU and NAU lose today, we will not have a victorty against a team at or above .500. They might even question that we barely won a few of those games. Yes we play in the best conference and have an FBS win, but you never know the discussions that the committee will have.

Again, I believe a win and we're in, but not completely ready to relax.
Leatherneck177

In some ways, I can't believe it. In others, it is fitting and karma. So tough and disappointing, really thought when Western was up 10 with 7:00 minutes to go this game was in hand.

Think about where they struggled all year, kicking game and the secondary.

I still feel good about the coaching staff, but what a disappointing year. Need to get a new K in there and get some more DB's. Hopefully all the experience this year will help out. Also hope that our younger WR's take a few steps forward.

Unbelievable.
JoeWx21

Well they can forgot about the playoffs tomorrow. What an epic collapse from the staff and team. They became one dimensional (since sdsu) and the secondary became exposed.
BobLovely

Illinois State got our spot in the playoff bracket:

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/artic ... t-selected

Bob
sealhall74

The NCAA SRS rankings were just posted. We made top 25 but trailed both UNI and ISUr. No surprise there.

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/f ... ngs-system
Embrace the pace of the race.