WIU at Southern Illinois (11/19/2016)

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

letsgonecks wrote:I don't think you can blame the DC after 1 year. The issue is personnel. None of our CB's are close to being lock down and we don't have anyone that is close to being an effective/consistent pass rusher. With neither or at least one you're going to get beat.

Not saying some of the young CBs can't become very good, but not close now.

This team could have been a playoff team, but don't think they would have made it out the first round, unless we got another Pioneer League team. Still wish I had them to watch next week and the seniors had another game.

Did enjoy this year and had some good success, but just not there yet.

Here's to getting better, reloading, and winning a championship.
Considering the teams that we were being talked about being sent to for the first round, I doubt we would have won the first game.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherface

RedNeck-- Sounds like you have had a rough year, and with the illness maybe more than just one rough year. Just consider this, maybe your obsession with Leatherneck football has helped you cope with some things, and for that it has possibly been helpful. Yes, maybe you " worried " too much about football, and lost some of the balance we all need in life. Maybe you need to step away for awhile,however, here's hoping you don't lose total interest. I'm hoping you will read this. Many of us have used this site or sports in general to escape once in awhile- nothing wrong with that. God be with you, and I hope things work out with your illness.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

JoeWx21 wrote:Let's give a round of applause for the epic collapse of this team.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU11DC

I feel for this team, as a fan, as an alumni, and as a college football fan. I feel for the freshman that we're asked to step up and I think they learned really quick the difference between high school ball and MVFC football. If y'all read this, I hope you guys stay with us, I understand y'all are young, and the experience will pay off in the long run. I do agree with a lot of you, the DC has to go. You can't go 6-2, with loss to SDSU, NDSU, both playoff teams, and then give up two losses to two teams that are good and then let the last place team beat you by 10. We had a great season last season that we built on with some good recruits. I hope this blunder didn't hurt our chances for recruits next season. Above all, although this hurts, it stings, and I'm going to miss watch my Necks next Saturday. (Hoping we sneak in, one can dream, right?) Im proud of my team, they never gave up, they fought, but ended up short one too many times. I can't wait for Saturday or next season. Always a Neck.

Oh and PS. All seniors thank you for a great season. Especially #7 and #1, I hope whatever the future holds, the pros, or a career that you hold your time at WIU with pride and Come back and be apart of our great school and team.
Leatherneck177

WIU11DC wrote:I feel for this team, as a fan, as an alumni, and as a college football fan. I feel for the freshman that we're asked to step up and I think they learned really quick the difference between high school ball and MVFC football. If y'all read this, I hope you guys stay with us, I understand y'all are young, and the experience will pay off in the long run. I do agree with a lot of you, the DC has to go. You can't go 6-2, with loss to SDSU, NDSU, both playoff teams, and then give up two losses to two teams that are good and then let the last place team beat you by 10. We had a great season last season that we built on with some good recruits. I hope this blunder didn't hurt our chances for recruits next season. Above all, although this hurts, it stings, and I'm going to miss watch my Necks next Saturday. (Hoping we sneak in, one can dream, right?) Im proud of my team, they never gave up, they fought, but ended up short one too many times. I can't wait for Saturday or next season. Always a Neck.

Oh and PS. All seniors thank you for a great season. Especially #7 and #1, I hope whatever the future holds, the pros, or a career that you hold your time at WIU with pride and Come back and be apart of our great school and team.

Well written. I'd agree on your review of the team. The secondary was exposed again and again after the SDSU game. I do think the coaching staff learned about this team as the season went on. Hopefully we have some young impact players coming in for next season. The jury is certainly out on our D Coordinator, but we didn't have a pass rush either.

The thing that kills me is we have a non-counter so Western will have to go 8-3 to make the playoffs because of the St. Xavier game. Really sets up a tall order for 2017. Why would our AD schedule that way? Nobody does that in the MVFC anymore. Ridiculous.
wiu712

The last three weeks of this season have been SAD, SAD, SAD.

Sitting 6-2 after that emotional win over South Dakota, we have stumbled with 3 consecutive defeats--two at Hanson Field.

SIU-C had 604 yards of total offense.

Sean McGuire had 3 interceptions. And there were 2 Western fumbles.

Attendance at Carbondale = 5,362.
Leatherneck57

WIU11DC wrote:I feel for this team, as a fan, as an alumni, and as a college football fan. I feel for the freshman that we're asked to step up and I think they learned really quick the difference between high school ball and MVFC football. If y'all read this, I hope you guys stay with us, I understand y'all are young, and the experience will pay off in the long run. I do agree with a lot of you, the DC has to go. You can't go 6-2, with loss to SDSU, NDSU, both playoff teams, and then give up two losses to two teams that are good and then let the last place team beat you by 10. We had a great season last season that we built on with some good recruits. I hope this blunder didn't hurt our chances for recruits next season. Above all, although this hurts, it stings, and I'm going to miss watch my Necks next Saturday. (Hoping we sneak in, one can dream, right?) Im proud of my team, they never gave up, they fought, but ended up short one too many times. I can't wait for Saturday or next season. Always a Neck.

Well said WIU11DC! I bleed purple and will not give up on our program, coaches or players. Personal experience is the best way to learn.

We are only losing 3 starters on offense and 0 on defense. This is a good problem to have!

We can look forward to next year that our program is on course and will only get stronger. We have some really good early commits for the 2017 class and many more to follow, red shirts that will have 4 years of eligibility and some recent FBS transfers that many of you aren't aware of that will be on campus in January. Our program is in good hands with Coach Fisher and his staff.

All though we're disappointed try and stay positive. You'll be glad you did!

LN57
Leatherneck177

Leatherneck57 wrote:

Well said WIU11DC! I bleed purple and will not give up on our program, coaches or players. Personal experience is the best way to learn.

We are only losing 3 starters on offense and 0 on defense. This is a good problem to have!

We can look forward to next year that our program is on course and will only get stronger. We have some really good early commits for the 2017 class and many more to follow, red shirts that will have 4 years of eligibility and some recent FBS transfers that many of you aren't aware of that will be on campus in January. Our program is in good hands with Coach Fisher and his staff.

LN57
Appreciate the positivity, I think we all need it. Reality is, the defense and special teams were flawed. Hopefully those areas will be addressed. This team might have won a game with the right matchup, but in reality was not poised for a deep run, the last three weeks showed that.

Really appreciate the way you and other alumni have embraced and supported the program through the coaching transition. No question a strong alumni base is the back bone of the program.
JoeWx21

I'm with you. I feel terrible for the seniors to have their season snatched and end like that. Literally, a down fall. I won't be surprise if some guys jump ship to other teams, and if some recruits who were on the fence about coming here decide not to.

But, also you cannot let the coaches go easy. 3-0 out of conference, 3-5 in conference, 3 losses at home, blowing big leads against MSU, ISUb, and SIU (this one bit them in the a**), no adjustments to help the secondary (anyone see any of the linebackers blitz), and abandon the running game/tight end passing game that was working in the 1st 3 games.

I don't know if these coaches had an oh sh** moment in that game against SDSU, but ever since then the playbook was chopped in half. They went from run 1st then pass to pass 1st then run.

Going to need some serious soul searching and a crash course learning experience in this conference after this season. Needless to say this was an epic letdown (no one can argue that).
Leatherneck57

Leatherneck177 wrote:
Leatherneck57 wrote:

LN57
Appreciate the positivity, I think we all need it. Reality is, the defense and special teams were flawed. Hopefully those areas will be addressed. This team might have won a game with the right matchup, but in reality was not poised for a deep run, the last three weeks showed that.

Really appreciate the way you and other alumni have embraced and supported the program through the coaching transition. No question a strong alumni base is the back bone of the program.

Agree what you say but we can't say "all special teams were flawed". Only field goals and xtra points had issues which kept points off the board. Definitely need to shore that up but we have an FBS transfer kicker coming in January that will take care of that issue.

On the bright side we never allowed a kickoff return for a TD or past the 50 yard line. Our kicker Luke Otto led the MVFC and was one of the tops in the country in touchbacks with over 30 plus. Punt team never allowed a TD return and only had one punt blocked. So all in all I think we improved in that category.

We won't lose any recruits because we didn't make the playoffs...we still had a winning record and had some nice wins!

Here is what a recruit had to say about his offer from WIU. He's a runningback from Minnesota...

Western Illinois Leathernecks give Isaiah Cherrier his first D1 offer

ERIC OSLUND
08/22/2016

Minnetrista, Minn. - Mound-Westonka 2017 athlete Isaiah Cherrier has been waiting awhile for his first Division I offer, but Western Illinois finally broke the ice Sunday night.

Sunday night, Mound-Westonka athlete Isaiah Cherrier received what he has been waiting years for, a Division I offer.
Earlier in the day Western Illinois, a school that he has been communicating with since they saw him perform at the Northwestern Chicagoland Showcase last spring, sent him a text saying they wanted to touch base. Cherrier assumed that coaches were just checking in with him and seeing how things have been going, but then they told him they were going to offer him a full athletic scholarship.

The offer was as a running back, which excited Cherrier even more because that is his primary position. He also plays on the defensive side of the ball and as a special teams return man, but running back is where he loves to play.
The coaches said that they really like his size for the position - 6-0, 205 pounds - and the physicality he plays with, which is something he has always tried to focus on.
“If I have the chance to hit somebody I’m definitely going to,” he explained. “I’m not going to run out of bounce or anything like that. Definitely like hitting, I play defense, so I kind of have a defensive mind when it comes to playing running back.”
The 2017 athlete had the chance to visit Western Illinois about a month ago and he really enjoyed his time there. When high school players visit campuses the thing that usually stands out the most is the facilities and stadiums, but not in this scenario. Cherrier was blown away by the people he got to meet during the visit.
He was also impressed by how hard everyone on the team works, from the coaches all the way down to the youngest players on the team.
“They’re going to go out and work hard. The coaching staff works hard,” he said. “Everyone was super nice to me. They kind of rolled out the red carpet and I got to talk to every single coach on the staff.
“I love (the coaches), every single one of them. I’ve met all of them. They all made it a point to meet me and make a personal connection with me, so I definitely appreciated that.

Good looking player...