Coaching Changes

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:13 pm i cant get it on my phone or computer
[tweet][/tweet]
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

We can now officially announce the new Linebackers Coach for Western, a name some of you may recognize...Deion Melvin. Melvin was most recently the DC at Lindenwood University (DII), with prior stints in Ball State, Bowling Green, Georgia Southern, and Missouri State, as well as being our own LB coach and recruiting coordinator at Western from '93-'98.

Think about that for a second...for those of you who remember, think back on those defenses we had in the mid to late '90s...you remember how good they were?...you remember James Milton and Eddie Hartwell winning Buck Buchanan awards for the best defensive player in the I-AA/FCS?...you remember giving up an average of 15.4 points per game in '96, 17.6 in '97, and a school record 12.5 points per game in '98?...he was part of that.

Coach Melvin played at the College of Dupage and was originally from East Aurora HS, where his coaching career began. He received a Bachelor of Science in Community Health from Western in '94.

So, it's time to welcome our new Linebackers coach, Deion Melvin.

[follow]CoachMelvin_WIU[/follow]
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

Am I the only one scratching my head when we announce a linebackers coach before the defensive coordinator. I would think the DC would want some say in his under-staff hires.
Embrace the pace of the race.
leatherface

Seems odd to me too. I have contacted some of my MIAA folks to see what type of defense Lindenwood ran last year. They were one of the weaker MIAA teams.
leatherface

Ian Carlson, the MIAA columnist told me- "They had a hell of a player in Connor Harris, but the team defense was one of the worst ranked in all of D2. If I remember right, only MoSo had a worse defense in the MIAA, which overall had a bad year on that side of the ball." I know he's not coming in as DC, but a little info regarding Lindenwood's overall defense as DC.
Leatherneck57

You're only as good as your talent. Doesn't mean a guy isn't a good coach...
sealhall74

Leatherneck57 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:14 pm You're only as good as your talent. Doesn't mean a guy isn't a good coach...
I will buy your argument at the high school level but at the college level a coach is also a recruiter so is a key cog in determining his talent.
Embrace the pace of the race.
meganeck

I know not technically WIU related currently, but former coach Steve Crutchley is the new WR coach at Northern Illinois.

Also I like the new hire, give him a chance.. I have faith in Coach Fisher that he knows what he is doing.
NIU#1FBinIL

meganeck wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:03 pm I know not technically WIU related currently, but former coach Steve Crutchley is the new WR coach at NIU.

Also I like the new hire, give him a chance.. I have faith in Coach Fisher that he knows what he is doing.
Howdy Leathernecks!

Can anyone give me any insight/opinions on former Coach Steve Crutchley? How did he do at WIU?

I see that he spent two seasons as an assistant (2013 & 2014) and one season as an associate head coach (2015). What position group(s) (if any) did he coach during his three seasons?

Also, any idea what he did during the 2016 season? Did he leave WIU for another opportunity or was he let go? Any details behind the separation would be appreciated.

Thanks.
leatherneckcountry

NIU#1FBinIL wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:25 pm
meganeck wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:03 pm I know not technically WIU related currently, but former coach Steve Crutchley is the new WR coach at NIU.

Howdy Leathernecks!

Can anyone give me any insight/opinions on former Coach Steve Crutchley? How did he do at WIU?

I see that he spent two seasons as an assistant (2013 & 2014) and one season as an associate head coach (2015). What position group(s) (if any) did he coach during his three seasons?

Also, any idea what he did during the 2016 season? Did he leave WIU for another opportunity or was he let go? Any details behind the separation would be appreciated.

Thanks.
He left to go coach his high school he was the RB coach and was very successful and left on good terms unlike most of the coaches from the previous staff he will be a great addition to the NIU staff and the Dekalb community.