Football Recruits - 2018

GV Dad

You have to have a membership to read the article, but the title worries me a little.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV Dad wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:51 pm

You have to have a membership to read the article, but the title worries me a little.
He's getting a lot of interest from bigger schools too now...I think his original plan was always to wait until February to sign, but he could be getting looks from lower-level FBS schools and just kinda weighing his options. I was able to get into the article on mobile, and it was saying that when it looked like Coach Fisher might be going elsewhere, he thought he'd keep his options open. I think we have a very good chance of keeping him committed to Western if we can keep Coach Fisher, although if Fisher leaves, it kinda depends on who is in charge and who he was most in communication with on the staff. He's a very talented kid and he's gotta do what he feels is right for himself and his future. Hopefully that future includes Western.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Lest you think we were done now that we signed some recruits in December and just named a new HC...

[tweet][/tweet]

He's transferring from Boise State and has a handful of other offers out there.
BSU Bio
and a bit about his situation: http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... -transfer/
WIU11DC

So with the departure of Fischer what or if anything are y'all hearing about other recruits? Also, do we now lose out on McShane now that fischer is gone?
rocki

Not sure about McShane - I do know he runs track in addition to his football playing. Maybe track is his sport of choice and he's getting offers from bigger schools for that? Not a clue. He could still sign in February and if Elliott is anything like Fisher in letting guys play two sports, that might have something to do with it as well. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I realize that who the head coach is makes a difference, but on the other hand, you know that Charlie Fisher was not the only coach these young men had contact with. If they were sold on the program (which it sounds like will remain the same as in their mode of play) and the position coach that talked with them, it might not be the problem that it was when Bob N left.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

rocki wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:35 pm Not sure about McShane - I do know he runs track in addition to his football playing. Maybe track is his sport of choice and he's getting offers from bigger schools for that? Not a clue. He could still sign in February and if Elliott is anything like Fisher in letting guys play two sports, that might have something to do with it as well. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I realize that who the head coach is makes a difference, but on the other hand, you know that Charlie Fisher was not the only coach these young men had contact with. If they were sold on the program (which it sounds like will remain the same as in their mode of play) and the position coach that talked with them, it might not be the problem that it was when Bob N left.
We already know about his offer to run track at Illinois. He might also be getting some interest from lower-level FBS football programs as well. Hopefully one of the first things the coaching staff did yesterday was call around to the recruits and their families to make sure they retain that connection and try to keep the lines of communication going.

We're currently in a "dead period" until 1/12, but from the NCAA's recruiting site:
"During a dead period a college coach may not have face-to-face contact with college-bound student-athletes or their parents, and may not watch student-athletes compete or visit their high schools. Coaches may write and telephone student-athletes or their parents during a dead period."
So, they can call around and hopefully they were doing that quite a bit yesterday.

Also, we already have an offer out for a kid who doesn't graduate HS until 2021. I'm not even sure how to categorize this since I don't even have a 2019 football recruits thread yet (maybe I should?). I'm sure he'll pick up a lot more offers between now and then though.
Preston Stone, QB: https://twitter.com/_prestonstone
https://www.hudl.com/profile/7148308/preston-stone
WIU11DC

What date is the second signing date in February?
GV Dad

The first Tue in Feb.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Lots of players coming in to visit this weekend I belive. Not just our friends who have already signed, but quite a few more and some transfers too. I haven't really kept up with some of the more recent offers like I had been, but I'll try to get some things updated before signing day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GV Dad

Had a GREAT visit! Don't be surprised if we have at least 3 big commits tomorrow.