Football Recruits - 2018

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

A few updates. I found out that the previously mentioned transfer, Derriyon Shaw from Boise State, is Ed Hartwell's nephew, and it sounds like he was instrumental in recruiting him to come to Western.

Also, I have heard that we are getting a transfer CB from West Virginia. Fontez Davis (https://wvusports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2553) is originally from Chatham, IL (just south of Springfield), went to HS at Edwardsville, IL (St. Louis suburb), was at Butler (KS) Community College in 2015 and 2016. Was on the roster at West Virginia in 2017 as a RS-Sophomore, but didn't see any playing time. Last update from his twitter account (https://twitter.com/TDavis_UpNext) said that he'd committed to UNI as of April 23rd, but apparently he's here with us now (summer classes started today).
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

ST_Lawson wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:23 am Also, I have heard that we are getting a transfer CB from West Virginia. Fontez Davis (https://wvusports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2553) is originally from Chatham, IL (just south of Springfield), went to HS at Edwardsville, IL (St. Louis suburb), was at Butler (KS) Community College in 2015 and 2016. Was on the roster at West Virginia in 2017 as a RS-Sophomore, but didn't see any playing time. Last update from his twitter account (https://twitter.com/TDavis_UpNext) said that he'd committed to UNI as of April 23rd, but apparently he's here with us now (summer classes started today).
Update to this. Apparently him and his family were sold on being able to come up and watch his games much more often, since they're from Edwardsville and it's under 3 hours here from there...UNI is 5 1/2 hours away...so home games would be a decent chunk closer for them.

Also, still looking at a few more possible transfers to fill in a few holes, so I'll have more info about that as we get further into the summer.
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:10 pm
ST_Lawson wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:23 am Also, I have heard that we are getting a transfer CB from West Virginia. Fontez Davis (https://wvusports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2553) is originally from Chatham, IL (just south of Springfield), went to HS at Edwardsville, IL (St. Louis suburb), was at Butler (KS) Community College in 2015 and 2016. Was on the roster at West Virginia in 2017 as a RS-Sophomore, but didn't see any playing time. Last update from his twitter account (https://twitter.com/TDavis_UpNext) said that he'd committed to UNI as of April 23rd, but apparently he's here with us now (summer classes started today).
Update to this. Apparently him and his family were sold on being able to come up and watch his games much more often, since they're from Edwardsville and it's under 3 hours here from there...UNI is 5 1/2 hours away...so home games would be a decent chunk closer for them.

Also, still looking at a few more possible transfers to fill in a few holes, so I'll have more info about that as we get further into the summer.
Rome was built one tufa at a time. #MIGAC
Embrace the pace of the race.
GV Dad

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV Dad wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:10 pm
And that was one of the ones I'd heard good things about.
Jared Ross, 6'5", 330lb, O-Lineman
Originally from Northwest HS in Wichita, KS, he played for a couple of years at Butler Community College in El Dorado, KS (one of those JUCO's that does a really good job of getting players that go on to play at the DI level).
He had offers from Incarnate Word, Southeast Missouri STate, Tennessee Tech, and FBS Texas State.
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:41 am
Originally from Northwest HS in Wichita, KS, he played for a couple of years at Butler Community College in El Dorado, KS (one of those JUCO's that does a really good job of getting players that go on to play at the DI level).
He had offers from Incarnate Word, Southeast Missouri STate, Tennessee Tech, and FBS Texas State.
Confused why he says next 4 yrs only two years of eligibility cause he’s a Juco transfer
GV Dad

leatherneckcountry wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:47 am
ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:41 am
Confused why he says next 4 yrs only two years of eligibility cause he’s a Juco transfer
I think he was a Qualifier out of High School, so he can transfer after one year. Watching his film, I'm not sure if he played in any games last year, I could be wrong though.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV Dad wrote:[quote=leatherneckcountry post_id=21621
I think he was a Qualifier out of High School, so he can transfer after one year. Watching his film, I'm not sure if he played in any games last year, I could be wrong though.[/quote]

That sounds right. I think he probably has 3 years of playing eligibility. He did say WIU would be his home for the next 4 years, but maybe he's planning on just sticking around and getting a master's after he's done playing (unless he develops into an NFL-level talent).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
letsgonecks

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:17 pm
GV Dad wrote:[quote=leatherneckcountry post_id=21621
I think he was a Qualifier out of High School, so he can transfer after one year. Watching his film, I'm not sure if he played in any games last year, I could be wrong though.
That sounds right. I think he probably has 3 years of playing eligibility. He did say WIU would be his home for the next 4 years, but maybe he's planning on just sticking around and getting a master's after he's done playing (unless he develops into an NFL-level talent).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[/quote]

Looks like he spent 2 years there. Redshirt in 2016 and guess he missed last season with injuries. Might be hoping to eventually apply for a medical hardship and cross his fingers to get the extra year back.