2017 Roster Updates

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Most that I've seen come through so far have just been freshmen getting assigned numbers and stuff, but three new names popped up today. I'm not 100% they're new, but I can't seem to find any mention of them prior to today. They're listed as R-Freshmen, but weren't on the roster last year. I'll post their basic info and then go digging to see what I can find out.

Darius Patterson - DB from Brooks College Prep, Chicago, IL
Josh Franke - RB from Litchfield HS, Litchfield, IL
Fabian Harris - DL from Gateway STEM, St. Louis, MO

EDIT:
Ok, so Patterson is a transfer from College of the Desert in Palm Desert, CA: http://www.codathletics.com/sports/fbal ... ew=profile
Was a freshman last year but didn't see any playing time. Possibly wanted to be closer to home and we were willing to give him a chance.

Franke - http://www.hudl.com/profile/1624650/josh-franke
Not sure specifically what his status is. It looks like he joined the team in some aspect last fall, since he's listed on the Fall 2016 Athletes list with 4.0 GPA's (http://goleathernecks.com/news/2017/1/3 ... r-gpa.aspx), but he wasn't listed on the roster last year. Could be an accident that his name wasn't on there. He's a R-Freshman for us this coming year.

Harris - http://www.hudl.com/profile/6755809/fabian-harris
Says class of 2016, not much else I can find at this point.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
letsgonecks

Here's what I found.

Franke was a 1st team all conference LB in 2015 . He scored 1100 points in BB (first 3 years at Staunton HS) and was 3rd team all conference.

Patterson looks to have played in 2015 for College of The Desert as he posted his game film in April of 2016. You can also find him on the stat sheets for the 2015 season. He was on the roster of the 2015-16 season as a FR, but doesn't show up on this years 2016-17 season. Either way, he'll be a So or Jr and should be eligible.

Harris is the most intriguing to me. Looks like he played at Pattonville and then his Sr year at Gateway. Put up some good numbers and looked solid at both LB and DE. Could tell from his tape he had a solid lower body, so good idea to have him add some weight (281 on the roster). I remember watching one of the videos on twitter or the website and seeing a number 96 with a sweet move during 1 on 1 drills. Watched it a few times and cranked up the volume, sounded like they yelled the name Fabian. My mind was boggled as we didn't have a Fabian, but I guess we do.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Maxwell Howell is no longer listed on the roster. He was a transfer CB from Ohio University (originally from West Palm Beach, FL), but apparently didn't impress anyone at spring practices (or he royally screwed up or something).

Pretty underwhelming considering Ohio fans were thinking he'd be the face of their program after they got him to commit even though he had offers from a few Big 10 schools. He redshirted his first year at Ohio, then played in 5 games last year and had two tackles. He transferred to Western for the Spring semester.

From an article from the McDonough County Voice: “He’s a transfer who will be here for another three years, he’s 6-1, 185 pounds and helps address an area of need,” the coach said. “I like the guys we have back, but we’ve added depth and with the guys we added up front, we should have an improved pass defense.”

So it sounds like the depth we had from returning guys and the incoming new guys was enough to push him too far down the depth chart. Either that or he just wasn't a great fit with the coaching staff. Either way, I don't think it's a big loss.
letsgonecks

I noticed this today as well, but don't think he was here yet. Thought he had a chance to come in this summer and work his way into the 2 deep during Fall practice.

I see Swenson was moved to LB and wondering if others will follow and be changed to OLB, now that we'll be in a 3-4.

Barnes also moved from DL to OL.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

letsgonecks wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:25 pm I noticed this today as well, but don't think he was here yet. Thought he had a chance to come in this summer and work his way into the 2 deep during Fall practice.

I see Swenson was moved to LB and wondering if others will follow and be changed to OLB, now that we'll be in a 3-4.

Barnes also moved from DL to OL.
Oh, that could be. I noticed he wasn't in the directory and just figured he'd been here, worked out, didn't do much, then moved along quickly (although that'd be kinda dumb to leave mid-semester). Maybe he just changed his mind before he even got here.

Yea, I hadn't been mentioning minor position change stuff for the most part, but there's been a couple of those.
leatherneckcountry

I also noticed no Stacy Smith who 2 yrs ago looked liked the next go to wide receiver.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:55 pm I also noticed no Stacy Smith who 2 yrs ago looked liked the next go to wide receiver.
Oh wow, I hadn't noticed that before you mentioned it. I'm guessing just a casualty of having two of the best in Western history just ahead of him and some very talented young guys right behind him.

Also, just saw that Keith Knight is no longer on the roster. D-lineman who was redshirted last year and in this year's spring game had 5 tackles (including 2 sacks). We have 9 other non-freshman D-linemen, so maybe we're just at a few too many linemen to keep on the team for a 3-4.
sealhall74

ST, it might be a worthwhile to setup an automatic daily cron monitor on the main athletic roster web page which would notify us of any and all changes, even things like our guys putting or shredding off a few pounds. :)
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:53 am ST, it might be a worthwhile to setup an automatic daily cron monitor on the main athletic roster web page which would notify us of any and all changes, even things like our guys putting or shredding off a few pounds. :)
Might be able to figure something out. The problem though, is that sometimes it'll notify me of changes when it's actually just a situation where they've changed one little thing in the athletics website menu or something. It's also sometimes useful to add a bit of explanation or discussion, depending on what the change is (especially if a player leaves or something).

Just FYI, I use changedetection.com to set up an email alert to myself for a few different pages, but here's the change log for the roster page: https://www.changedetection.com/log/gol ... _log2.html
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

No longer on the roster
#57 Keith Knight, DL, R-Fr., Dallas, Ga. East Paulding

Redshirted last year: http://goleathernecks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=15192