X Days until 2017 Leatherneck Football

ttully

...Troy Brown (of Macomb-currently VP in Cleveland Browns organization) wore #38 in 1984 & 1985...
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

ttully wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:33 am ...Troy Brown (of Macomb-currently VP in Cleveland Browns organization) wore #38 in 1984 & 1985...
Huh, ok. He's not even mentioned in the record book. You might want to shoot an email off to the athletics department with any info that you have about him (years, position, numbers, etc).
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Up today...#36
#36 is Sophomore Running Back Max Norris
Max is a Marketing major from Greenwood, IN and he played in two games last season as a redshirt freshman. He also received one of the team's "Most Improved" awards from spring practices, so I think we'll see a lot more from him this year.

Other #36's in Leatherneck history include:
Roger Elliot.............................1959-62
Dennis Morgan.......................1971-73
Haywood Johnson..................1976-78
Beau Williams.........................1981-82
Mondale Clark........................1988-89
Scot Stermitz..........................1990-91
Doug Romano............................. 1992
Leonard Ross.............................. 1993
Alfonzo Roberson........................ 1994
Steve Blount.......................1999-2001
Matt Lingley............................2003-04
Javid Milton............................2005-06
Ben Schneider............................. 2009
Trenton Heard........................ 2011-12
Cleveland Clark........................... 2014

Roger Elliot was inducted into the Leatherneck HOF as a member of the undefeated 1959 team.

Dennis Morgan was an AP Honorable Mention in 1972. He holds records at Western for 3rd (tied) longest kick return with a 99-yard run back for TD against Central Michigan in '71. He also had another kick return TD that season, which puts him tied for 1st in that stat in a season with 2. He originally played as a freshman at Bradley, but transferred to Western when they dropped their football program. Following his Leatherneck career, Morgan was drafted in the 10th round of the 1974 NFL draft by Dallas. In one year with the Cowboys, he tied the longest punt return in NFL history with a 98-yard TD (a franchise record) and finished 3rd in the NFL in punt return average. He was picked up the following year by the Eagles but only played in 4 games, averaging 24.3 yards per return on kickoff returns and 7.5 yards per on punt returns. He was one of the league's best kick returners, however, due to really only being able to contribute in the kick return game, teams didn't feel that they could justify a player spot for that limited amount of playing time. Following his football career, he served in the US Army. Dennis Morgan died on October 25, 2015, after suffering a heart attack while attending the New York Giants vs. Dallas Cowboys game.

Javid Milton was a First Team All-Conference FB in 2007.
sealhall74

I mistakenly also put this in the Roster Updates thread. Too much sleep in my ideas I guess.
sealhall74 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:33 am The year 1935 was smack-dab in the middle of the Great Depression. College enrollments were down as just putting food on the table was a struggle for many families. On the Western campus, President Morgan was putting plans together for a third major building to join the existing Sherman and Monroe facilities. Sherman was a multi-use building and one of those uses was as host to the Western "Lab School". The purpose of the new building was to become the home for that then signature program (remember we were a "Normal" school and our job was to crank out teachers). Here is the Throwback Thursday Trivia question and if you get this one right you can earn extra credit by answering the Leatherneck football bonus question below it:

When it first opened, what was the name of the new building on campus opened in the 1930s as a school for the training of teachers?
Hint: you need look no further than the question itself.

By my count from the 2016 football media guide, the Leathernecks have matched up against 154 college/university opponents during their long and rich football history. Ignoring St. Albans (I have no idea where this school was) but remembering to factor in William and Vashti (they would later become a home for the Roosevelt Military Academy), how many States (including the District of Columbia if appropriate) are represented by those 154 opponents?

A. 35
B. 39
C. 41
D. 44
E. None of the above
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

35 days left folks....it's getting close

#35 on the Leathernecks roster is Senior Linebacker Adam Brott
Brott is a Physical Education major from St. Clair, MO. He has played in 32 games in his Leatherneck career, racking up 107 total tackles, 14.5 for loss (3 sacks), a forced fumble, and 2 interceptions.

Other #35s in Leatherneck History include:
Fred Fleischbein.....................1961-64
Alvin Brown............................1973-76
Dace Richardson....................1977-80
Danny Jenkins........................1981-82
Mike Hryn...............................1983-86
David Miller.............................1987-88
Jose Medina................................ 1998
Travis Cherry...........2004-05, 2007-08
Brian Egan................................... 2009
Devon Dwyer............................... 2013

Dace Richardson was an All Conference FB in 1980 and is 2nd on the career list for yards per carry (between #1 Herb Donaldson and #3 Aaron Stecker) with a 5.491 yards per carry average on 291 carries from '77-'80.

Danny Jenkins was a First Team All-Conference RB in 1981 and 1982.

Mike Hryn was a Second Team All-Conference LB in 1985 and First Team All-Conference and AP Honorable Mention in 1986. He was the team's tackles and interceptions leader in 1985 with 122 tackles and 3 interceptions.

Travis Cherry was a LB on the conference All-Newcomer team in 2004 and an All-Conference Honorable Mention in 2007 and 2008. He was also on the Academic All-Conference list in 2005 (Honorable Mention), 2007 (First Team and President's Academic Excellence Award), and 2008 (Second Team and President's Academic Excellence Award). He was also on the FCS ADA Academic All-Star team in 2007 and 2008.

Brian Egan was the team's kicking leader in 2009 going 20-20 on PATs and 2-8 on FG attempts.
rocki

sealhall74 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:41 am I mistakenly also put this in the Roster Updates thread. Too much sleep in my ideas I guess.
sealhall74 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:33 am The year 1935 was smack-dab in the middle of the Great Depression. College enrollments were down as just putting food on the table was a struggle for many families. On the Western campus, President Morgan was putting plans together for a third major building to join the existing Sherman and Monroe facilities. Sherman was a multi-use building and one of those uses was as host to the Western "Lab School". The purpose of the new building was to become the home for that then signature program (remember we were a "Normal" school and our job was to crank out teachers). Here is the Throwback Thursday Trivia question and if you get this one right you can earn extra credit by answering the Leatherneck football bonus question below it:

When it first opened, what was the name of the new building on campus opened in the 1930s as a school for the training of teachers?
Hint: you need look no further than the question itself.

By my count from the 2016 football media guide, the Leathernecks have matched up against 154 college/university opponents during their long and rich football history. Ignoring St. Albans (I have no idea where this school was) but remembering to factor in William and Vashti (they would later become a home for the Roosevelt Military Academy), how many States (including the District of Columbia if appropriate) are represented by those 154 opponents?

A. 35
B. 39
C. 41
D. 44
E. None of the above
The Lab School used to be in Simpkins Hall (which I didn't see listed in the question), and a wild guess at the 154 opponents is 35.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Was Simpkins always called Simpkins though? I'd have to go look it up, but someone else might know off the top of their head.

Given what was written, was Simpkins originally called Morgan Hall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rocki

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:01 pm Was Simpkins always called Simpkins though? I'd have to go look it up, but someone else might know off the top of their head.

I don't think so. Back in my mother's day, there was a Morgan Gym (which I believe burned down).
rocki

"Training School", possibly?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

rocki wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:48 pm
ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:01 pm Was Simpkins always called Simpkins though? I'd have to go look it up, but someone else might know off the top of their head.

I don't think so. Back in my mother's day, there was a Morgan Gym (which I believe burned down).
Oh right, forgot about that.

Yea, I think rocki is right...looks like it was just the "Training School" at that point.
http://www.wiu.edu/cas/english/documents/simpkins.php