X Days until 2017 Leatherneck Football

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Yesterday's #53 is represented by:
Junior Long Snapper Hunter Varga

Hunter is an Athletic Training major from Harmon, IL. He played in 8 games his (true) freshman year and started all 11 games last season.

Other #53s in our history include:
Dean Riley..............................1949-50
Dick Strittmatter........................... 1969
Robyn Blaha...........................1973-76
Scott Soebbing.......................1977-78
Marty Bowton.........................1984-86
Max Ford................................1988-91
Jason Stam................................. 1994
Glenn Waterhouse....................... 1995
Frank Melchert.......................2000-03
Cameron Koehne........................ 2007
Alex Martinez............................... 2010
Tristan Humbles.......................... 2013

Robyn Blaha is listed in the Leatherneck record books as having the second-best season for assisted tackles (91 in '76) and tied for the ninth-best in total tackles (154 total in '76). He also has the third best single-game performance for solo tackles with 16 against South Dakota State in 1976.

Max Ford was a all-conference honorable mention D-Lineman in 1991 and is listed as tied (with 7 others) at 6th for the most blocked kicks in a season, with 2 in 1989.

Glenn Waterhouse was an academic all-conference honorable mention LB in 1995.

I also wanted to mention, in case you hadn't noticed, for the most part I try to say at the beginning of the list something like "Other players who've worn #XX include" or "Some #XX's in our history are" because I'm sure that there were others before the ones listed, but for the most part, the data before the late '40s is very sparse and hard to track down. I'm not entirely sure when they started using numbers (or if they've always used numbers), but I've tried to steer away from saying stuff like "These are the #XX's in our history" because I don't know if there were any prior to the late '40s, and I don't want to discredit their hard work and accomplishments, I'm just doing the best with the data I have.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

And today we're down to 52 days until Leatherneck Football.

#52 on the roster is Redshirt Freshman Defensive Lineman Alijah Burno

Alijah is a Kinesiology major from Harrisburg, PA. A slightly "late" signee (added a couple of weeks after "signing day"), he is listed on the MVFC Honor Roll (3.0+ GPA).

Other #52's in our history include:
Bill Crowley.............................1948-50
Don Lashmet..........................1954-56
Mike McFarland......................1958-60
Donald Euteneuer..................1961-64
Pete Kennedy.............................. 1977
Alvin Menke................................. 1984
Dennis Golinghorst.................1985-86
Scott Himmelman...................1988-89
Anthony Collins......................1996-97
Milan Vuckovich......................2002-03
Darron Boone.............................. 2005
Brandon Kreczmer.................2006-08
Andrew Robiskie....................2009-12
Quentin Moon.............................. 2015

Don Lashmet racked up 1,018 yards in his Leatherneck career and has the 9th best "Yards Per Reception" performance in a season with an average of 20.7 yards on 32 catches in 1955.

Mike McFarland was inducted into the Leatherneck HOF as part of the undefeated 1959 football team. He was drafted in the 20th round of the 1961 NFL draft by Minnesota, although as near as I can tell, never ended up playing professionally.

Darron Boone was an all-conference honorable mention D-Lineman in 2006.

Brandon Kreczmer was an all-conference honorable mention Linebacker in 2010.

Quentin Moon was an all-conference honorable mention Linebacker last season (2016). He's still on the roster (going to be one of the captains this season actually) but has moved to #39 for this next year.
sealhall74

I hereby propose a new tradition for the football program and I am not waiting 40 (52-12) more days to announce. Each year, some fan (student, alumnus, townie, whoever) get awarded a #12 jersey for being the most loyal fan (i.e. 12 person on the field) throughout the season. How is the winner determined? Easy. Verify attendance at all events (we need a "tweet in" app or something). Final judging comes down to their social media postings in support of the team.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:08 am I hereby propose a new tradition for the football program and I am not waiting 40 (52-12) more days to announce. Each year, some fan (student, alumnus, townie, whoever) get awarded a #12 jersey for being the most loyal fan (i.e. 12 person on the field) throughout the season. How is the winner determined? Easy. Verify attendance at all events (we need a "tweet in" app or something). Final judging comes down to their social media postings in support of the team.
Just football events, or all athletics events?
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:19 am
sealhall74 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:08 am I hereby propose a new tradition for the football program and I am not waiting 40 (52-12) more days to announce. Each year, some fan (student, alumnus, townie, whoever) get awarded a #12 jersey for being the most loyal fan (i.e. 12 person on the field) throughout the season. How is the winner determined? Easy. Verify attendance at all events (we need a "tweet in" app or something). Final judging comes down to their social media postings in support of the team.
Just football events, or all athletics events?
Just football to start with. If it caches on, other sports could have something similar (e.g. basketball 6th man, best bench body, whatever). At the end of the year, you could award an overall winner from the individual sport winners.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Yesterday was #51, who is currently...
Senior Defensive Lineman Colin Olson

Colin is a Pre-Nursing major from Mt. Prospect, IL. He's played in a total of 19 games over the last two years and has racked up 24 tackles, 5 for loss, with 2 forced fumbles and 2 sacks.

Other players who have work #51 include:
Bob Jones..............................1946-48
Dominic “Ditty” Lynch.............1950-52
Jack Lilgeberg........................1954-56
Larry Mortier................................ 1969
Greg Tody...............................1970-71
Mark Keller.............................1972-74
Eric Payne..............................1982-83
Marty Lomelino.......................1984-86
John Langan...........................1993-95
Vince Bruno................................. 1996
James Milton..........................1997-98
Frank Valle..............................2003-06
Teague Dentino........................... 2007
Brandon Kreczmer.................2009-10
Jamel Wilmore........................ 2011-12

Overall, seems like one of the more successful "numbers" that we've hit so far...two HOF members, one of the greatest LBs in Leatherneck history, lots of all-conference awards...

Dominic "Ditty" Lynch is a 1987 inductee into the Leatherneck HOF and a First-Team All-IIAC in 1951.

Jim Mortier was a 1988 inductee into the Leatherneck HOF. He was a NAIA All-America Honorable Mention in 1969. From his bio: "Jim was captain and All-Conference performer on the 1963 football team coached by Art Dufelmeier. He went on to have a highly successful career in coaching, and later coaching football and gymnastics at Addison Trail High School. He was promoted to Athletic Director and currently serves as principal at ATHS." He was an assistant coach at Western under HC's Brodie Westen, Bill Shanahan, and Pete Rodriguez.

Marty Lomelino was named to the 1985 All-Italian American Team and was a first team all-conference and AP Honorable Mention LB in 1987. He is currently in the Leatherneck record books with the 7th longest Interception return (77 yards against SIU in '86) and being tied for 4th for the most total tackles in a game, with 24 in a game at EIU in '87.

Vince Bruno was the conference's Newcomer of the Year in 1996, leading the team in tackles with 109, and being named all-conference second team and a FB Gazette Honorable Mention..

James Milton was one of two Leathernecks to ever win the Buck Buchanan Award (for top defensive player in the FCS), taking the award in 1998. In 1997 he was named second team all-conference and to the conference all-newcomer team, and in '98, in addition to the Buchanan Award, in 1998 he was also first team all-conference, the conference defensive player of the year, AFCA First Team, AP First Team, FB Gazette First Team and Linebacker of the Year, ESPN/SportsTicker First Team, Sports Network First Team, and Walter Camp First Team. Milton led the team in tackles in 1997 and 1998 and is listed in the Leatherneck record books for the following:
  • 10th best (tied) season for solo tackles with 87 in 1998
  • 3rd best (tied) season for assisted tackles with 89 in 1998
  • 8th best (tied) season for assisted tackles with 82 in 1997
  • 3rd best season for total tackles with 176 in 1998
  • 7th best (tied) season for tackles for loss with 22 in 1998
  • 2nd best (tied) season for forced fumbles with 5 in 1998
  • 5th best career for assisted tackles with 171
  • 9th best career for total tackles with 316
  • 6th best (tied) career for forced fumbles with 6
Just for reference, this is going off of the 2016 record book, which doesn't include numbers from last season. It's possible that he's moved down the list a bit on some of the tackle records due to being surpassed by Brett Taylor, but I haven't gone through and checked all that yet.
As near as I can tell, despite all his awards, he never went on to play at a professional level. I'd have to imagine that was by choice, since I can't imagine an NFL team not giving the best defensive player in the entire FCS at least a chance on the roster. It looks like he currently lives in Miami, FL with his family (3 kids, I think...looks like it on facebook, anyway).

Frank Valle was a second team all-conference O-Lineman in 2006.

Teague Dentino was a D-Lineman named to the conference All-Newcomer team in 2008.

Brandon Kreczmer was an all-conference honorable mention Linebacker in 2010.

Jamel Wilmore was a LB who was on the Academic All-Conference list as honorable mention in 2012 and received the President's Academic Excellence Award.
leatherneckcountry

Would have to think that Milton should be going into the HOF very soon.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

And as of today, we are halfway to the start of football season from when I started counting down.
Only 50 days left until we kick off at Tennessee Tech.
So, #50 on the current roster is Junior Linebacker Pete Swenson
Pete has played in 24 games over the last two years, putting up 78 tackles, 14 for loss including 7 sacks. He is from Mason City, IA.

Other #50s in our history include:
Jack Engle..............................1946-49
Don James.............................1958-59
Jim Mortier..............................1961-63
Ken Muhich................................. 1966
Rod Bixby...............................1970-71
Lewis Harris............................1973-76
Mike McNulty..........................1978-80
Frank Winters.........................1984-86
Scott Harper...........................1988-89
Kenio Johnson........................1990-91
Harvie Herrington...................1993-94
Josh Kaburick.........................1996-97
Edgerton Hartwell........................ 1998
Justin Thies............................1999-00
Andrew O’Brien........................... 2003
Alvin Harris.............................2005-06
Chad Sprayberry......................... 2008
Gino Durley, Jr........................ 2011-14

Ok, so this one might end up beating yesterday's "most successful number" actually...

Jim Mortier is a Leatherneck HOF member who was discussed more in yesterday's #51 post.

Rod Bixby is a 1997 Inductee into the Leatherneck HOF. "A four-year football standout who set the WIU record for tackles in a season in 1970 and a career (1968-71). Upon his graduation, Bixby served as a graduate assistant coach before embarking on a high school coaching career." He was named an NAIA Second-Team All-American in 1970 and AP Honorable Mention in 1971.

Mike McNulty was an all-conference O-Lineman in 1980.

Frank Winters was inducted into the Leatherneck Hall of Fame in 1998. "The four-year letterman played in 42 consecutive games and earned All-America honors from Kodak, The Sporting News and The Associated Press as a senior. Winters was named to the Gateway Conference All-Decade Team in 1994." He was a second team all-conference O-Lineman in 1984 and first team in 1986. Following his career at Western, Winters was drafted by the Cleveland Browns in the 10th round of the 1987 NFL draft. He played for the Browns, NY Giants, and KC Chiefs for a 1-2 years each, but really hit his stride when he played for the Packers. He was their starting center for 8 straight seasons, made the Pro Bowl in 1996, was part of Green Bay's Super Bowl (XXXI) Champion team during his time there. Winters was inducted into the Green Bay Packers HOF in 2008 with induction speech by friend Brett Favre.

Edgerton "Ed" Hartwell....well...there's a reason why Western was known as the FCS's Linebacker U for a while there. How do you follow up the best defensive player in the entire FCS....with an even better one. Ed Hartwell was the team's tackle leader in 1999 (165) and 2000 (191). He was second team all-conference, on the conference all-newcomer team, and was a FB Gazette Honorable Mention in 1998. In 1999 he was first team all-conference, conference defensive player of the year, AP Third Team, Sports Network First Team, FB Gazette First Team, Teamlink.com First Team, and Walter Camp First Team. Then, in 2000, his senior year, he was named conference defensive player of the year for the second time and received the Buck Buchanan Award for best defensive player in the FCS. He also received AP first team, AFCA first team, FB Gazette first team and linebacker of the year, Walter Camp first team, and Sports Network first team awards. Following his Leatherneck career, Hartwell was drafted in the 4th round of the 2001 NFL draft by the Baltimore Ravens. He played with the Ravens for 4 years, then played for 2 with the Falcons, and was signed to preseason squads of the Bengals and Raiders. He also played for a year in the UFL (United Football League) with the Las Vegas Locomotives. Hartwell is currently listed in the Leatherneck record books for:
  • 1st (tied) for solo tackles in a game, 18 against Missouri State in 1999
  • 2nd most total tackles in a game, 26 against Elon in 1999
  • 1st and 2nd most solo tackles in a season, 107 in 1999 and 122 in 2000
  • 1st, 5th, and 8th most total tackles in a season, 156 in 1998, 168 in 1999, and 191 in 2000
  • 1st (tied) for fumble recoveries in a season, 4 in 2000
  • 2nd in career solo tackles with 308
  • 2nd in career assisted tackles with 207
  • 1st in career total tackles with 512
  • 6th (tied) for career forced fumbles with 6
  • 2nd (tied) for career fumble recoveries with 7
I also wanted to point out, that listing for the 8th most total tackles in a season was in 1998, the same year that James Milton landed at 3rd on the same list. That season, the two of them combined for 332 total tackles, an average of 166 tackles each in one year. Outside of Milton and Hartwell, we've only ever had one player (Kyle Glazier with 167 in 2010) get over 160 tackles in a season, and Eddie's 156 tackles that year would have made him the team's tackle leader pretty much any other year in our DI era.

Justin Thies received a conference O-Line player of the week award in September of 2000.
sealhall74

1949 marked the first year of the Vince DiFrancesca coaching era. DiFrancesca is arguably the most
successful head football coach in Leatherneck football history if you base it solely on wins and losses.
His five year record with the Necks was 38–7–1 overall and 23–3–1 in the IIAC Conference. Even Saban and Mudra never put
up those kind of numbers. What makes it doubly impressive is that he took over an average program (a couple of 4-4 records in previous years) and achieved a 9-1 record in his very first year. No program rebuilding going on there, just getting it done from the very get-go. BTW, the Leatherneck roundballers were also faring well during this 5 year period and even beyond posting an overall 78-43 W-L record including a trip to the NAIA National Championship game. IMHO, the 50s period is the "Golden Era" of Leatherneck Athletics. Just my thoughts, now on to the Throwback Thursday Trivia question:

What past Leatherneck ILLINOIS college football opponent was the "oldest kid on the block" and could also boast of
having the "tallest kid in the stands", assuming he showed up to the game of course.

Hint: From Macomb, the drive to the game would be about (2*49)+33 miles.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

As Seal has mentioned...today is #49

Our current #49 is Sophomore Kicker Nathan Erickson

Nathan is from New Berlin, WI and received the MVFC Commissioner's Academic Excellence Award (minimum GPA of 3.2) this past season.

Other #49s in our history include:
Robert Carr.............................1971-72
Tom Dickerson........................1975-76
John Corcoran........................1983-86
Bret Velde.................................... 1990
Brent Harbold.............................. 1991
Kelly Neuhauser.....................1993-97
Leon Simmons............................ 1998
Cliffton Fields..........................1999-01
Michael Kasprak.....................2002-05
Drew Helt................................2007-10
Jacoby Sessions....................2012-13

Tom Dickerson is tied for 9th on the list of career field goals with 11 made (out of 22) from 1975-1976.

Bret Velde was the team's receptions and receiving yards leader in 1990 with 36 catches for 592 yards and 6 TDs. He was also the team's primary punt returner, leading the team in punt return yards that year.

Brent Harbold was a defensive end who received a conference player of the week award in November of 1991.

Michael Kasprak was a LB named to the conference all-newcomer team in 2005. He was also academic all-conference honorable mention in 2004 and 2005.

Drew Helt was an all-conference honorable mention TE in 2010. His performance that year landed him with the 9th best yards per reception performance for a TE in a season with 16.4 ypc average as well as the 10th (tied) best performance for career TDs for a TE with 4. Drew also received academic all-conference honorable mentions in 2008 and 2010.