2017 Preview - Defensive Backs

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Last year was a rough one for our defensive backs, being especially vulnerable to long passes. Some changes have been made for the coming year that will hopefully address this problem.

Our DBs currently on the roster are:
#5 Senior Aaron Diggs
#23 Senior Josh Smith
#38 Senior David Griffith
#42 Senior Myles Spearman
#3 Junior Timothy Smith
#6 Junior Xavier Rowe
#30 Junior Justin Fitzpatrick
#12 Sophomore Darron Wheeler
#20 Sophomore Eric Carrera
#24 Sophomore Mike Viti
#11 Redshirt Freshman Darius Patterson - transfer from College of the Desert
Freshman Brent Carter
Freshman Andre Whitley

There’s also a couple of guys that could be showing up on the roster at some point, but are not currently (I don’t really know their status, but maybe they’ll be added to the roster once they really get going with the late summer preseason practices):
Brandon Mayes - Senior, transfer from Northern Illinois
Tyrin Holloway - Senior, transfer from Liberty University

Seniors
ImageImageImageImage

Juniors
ImageImageImage

Sophomores
ImageImageImage

Redshirt Freshmen

Freshmen
ImageImage

Of those players, here’s who played last year and their stats:
Xavier Rowe - 11 games played, 59 total tackles (0.5 for loss), 3 interceptions, 3 pass breakups
David Griffith - 11 games played, 54 total tackles (5 for loss), 1 interception, 3 pass breakups
Mike Viti - 11 games played, 32 total tackles, 1 interception, 8 pass breakups (led the team)
Eric Carrera - 10 games played, 28 total tackles (1 for loss), 1 interception, 1 pass breakup
Justin Fitzpatrick - 11 games played, 19 total tackles (1 for loss), 3 pass breakups
Timothy Smith - 10 games played, 18 total tackles (1 for loss), 1 interception, 5 pass breakups
Darron Wheeler - 9 games played, 16 total tackles (1 for loss), 1 interception, 3 pass breakups
Josh Smith - 8 game played, 7 total tackles, 1 forced fumble
Aaron Diggs - 2 games played (due to injury), 6 total tackles (1 for loss)

Players who are not returning, and their stats from last year:
Alex Olivas - 6 games played, 15 tackles (.5 for loss)
Trev Hadachek - did not see any game action

We didn’t lose much in terms of production after last year. Both players were actually Juniors who it appears chose not to return this year. It’s kinda hard judging what I think is going to happen, mostly because I don’t know the status of the three possible incoming transfers. I was told that they’d be here during the summer training sessions (and should be on campus now), but I haven’t seen any confirmation on that yet. That’s not surprising at this point, just makes it a little harder to plan.
I think that the addition of the two senior transfers will help quite a bit. Lots of experience there, one of which had a great deal of starting experience at a generally higher level of football. I’d imagine that we’ll see them play, along with the existing seniors and juniors. I expect that we’ll see a lot of Mike Viti as well, since he did so well as a true freshman last year.

Being an outside fan, it’s hard to tell if the overall issues from last year were from a lack of talent, lack of execution, or lack of good coaching. I think that bringing in a couple of transfers plus the growth of some of the younger players should help with the first two...either by putting pressure on the returning guys to do better, or by beating them out for starting positions. As for the 3rd possibility, we’ve hired a new defensive coordinator/secondary coach, Tony Grantham. Grantham has a fairly impressive resume, so hopefully he can get the guys defending better.

Last year we were 120th out of 122 FCS teams in passing yards allowed...something had to change, and regardless of how it all shakes out this season, changes have been made and issues from last year have been addressed.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
letsgonecks

Looks like Howell ended up at Portland State.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

letsgonecks wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:46 pm Looks like Howell ended up at Portland State.
Ah, yup: http://www.goviks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id ... h=football
Ok, I'll remove him from the preview then.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Already have updates to some of the position posts. A few guys got added to the roster today...some were most likely walk-ons, some were transfers we knew about, and a couple were transfers we didn't.

On the DB front, we have:
Brandon Mayes - 5'11" 190lb Senior from Aurora, IL (by way of Northern Illinois)
Tyrin Holloway - 6'0" 190lb Senior from Humble, TX (by way of Liberty University)
NIU#1FBinIL

ST_Lawson wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:58 pm Already have updates to some of the position posts. A few guys got added to the roster today...some were most likely walk-ons, some were transfers we knew about, and a couple were transfers we didn't.

Brandon Mayes - 5'11" 190lb Senior from Aurora, IL (by way of NIU)
Tyrin Holloway - 6'0" 190lb Senior from Humble, TX (by way of Liberty University)
Just curious, how's Mayes working out? Has he seen much playing time?
leatherneckcountry

NIU#1FBinIL wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:08 pm
ST_Lawson wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:58 pm Already have updates to some of the position posts. A few guys got added to the roster today...some were most likely walk-ons, some were transfers we knew about, and a couple were transfers we didn't.

Brandon Mayes - 5'11" 190lb Senior from Aurora, IL (by way of NIU)
Just curious, how's Mayes working out? Has he seen much playing time?
He played the 1st couple of games on special teams and haven't really seen him since.