2017 Preview - Quarterbacks

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

On to the offensive side of the ball, starting with the Quarterbacks. This one is probably the easiest of the previews for me to put together, mostly because we don’t have many QBs on the roster, and because our starting QB is pretty much set.

Our QBs currently on the roster are:
#18 Junior Sean McGuire
#8 Redshirt Freshman Connor Sampson
Freshman Adam Mullett
Freshman Tyler Ward

Juniors

Redshirt Freshmen

Freshmen
ImageImage

Considering only one of these guys played last year...well….here’s Sean McGuire’s stats from 2016:
11 games played, 230 completions on 396 attempts (.581), 2914 passing yards (16th in FCS), 20 passing TDs and 12 interceptions passing, 264.9 yards/game average, 130.5 efficiency rating. Also 207 yards rushing and 2 rushing TDs

Players who are not returning, and their stats from last year:
Trenton Norvell - 46 yards on 5 completions (10 attempts), only played in one game

So, obviously we’ve discussed quite a bit in the past last year about Sean McGuire beating out Norvell for the starting job last season. Seemed to work out fairly well. I think McGuire had a few more interceptions that we would have liked, but overall not horrible (51st in the FCS in passing efficiency...so, roughly “middle-of-the-pack”), and I don’t think that our QB play would be considered one of our larger issues last year. Barring unforeseen craziness, McGuire will be the starter this season (and likely next season as well). I’d imagine we’ll see Redshirt Freshmen Connor Sampson as the primary backup in case of injuries or blowouts. Beyond that, we have two true freshmen. If it comes down to it, I don’t know if the coaching staff would blow a redshirt for a 3rd string QB, but might go to someone in another position who has played QB in the past (Clint Ratkovich, for example...played a bunch of positions in HS, including QB...although he’s more of a “wildcat” QB, but he’d be good for taking the snap and handing it off to our RBs, running himself, or maybe short “dink” passes to TEs as needed.) Might be other guys on the roster who have played QB in the past, so I’d imagine that they probably have a guy who’s taken a few snaps in practices that can back up if need be.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

Hoping McGuire can be more of a running threat his final 2 years. Watching from afar and a few times from the sidelines, my gut is telling me he had some nagging lower leg things going on the last couple of years.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:18 pm Hoping McGuire can be more of a running threat his final 2 years. Watching from afar and a few times from the sidelines, my gut is telling me he had some nagging lower leg things going on the last couple of years.
Yea, I think he's always been more of a runner than Norvell was. I think we might end up having more running threats this year and they might end up having a few more holes for McGuire to run through. Although that also means he gets a bit more of a beating, so if they can get by without him running, that's great too...but it's nice to have that option if you need it.
letsgonecks

As far as 3rd sting goes, yeah hopefully we don't need to deal with it. BUT, it would all depend on where we are in the season and how we're doing. Might burn Mullet's year if he's the best options. Otherwise, we'd probably go Trey Cervantes who was recruited as a QB and went through the system last year as a QB.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Interview and story about Sean McGuire from KHQA-TV: Savvy Under Center: McGuire deals from a position of strength with Leathernecks