WIU vs the Bye Week (9/16/2017)

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

You know, this week just seems to come earlier and earlier every year. By 2025 our bye week will be held during spring practices ;)

Two games into the season and we are 2-0. The Leathernecks have looked impressive so far, especially in areas that seemed to be "trouble spots" last year. We are still giving up a decent amount of yardage through the air, but it feels like it's more of a situation where we're allowing a bit more during "garbage time" rather than giving up big plays that really make a difference in the game.

Stats-wise, here's where we're at so far, and comparing to last year at this point (since last year we also started out with a game against a middle-of-the-pack Ohio Valley team followed by a game against Northern Arizona, before taking on a lower-FBS opponent).

Scoring (2017) - 39.5 ppg, allowing 17 ppg.
Scoring (2016) - 36 ppg, allowing 20.5 ppg.

Rushing Yards (2017) - 252.5 ypg for us, 28.5 ypg for them.
Rushing Yards (2016) - 220.5 ypg for us, 113.5 ypg for them.
I'm really impressed with this stat...we're moving the ball more on the ground and our defense is better at stopping the run. I've been VERY impressed with the D-Line play so far. Also, remember, this is without Steve McShane for the majority of game time. If he's able to come back in the next game or so, this number could move up too...although I think Norris is doing a great job anyway. In rushing defense, we're actually 4th in the FCS right now...and 4th in the MVFC, because #s 1, 2, and 3 are SIU, ILSU, and NDSU.

Passing Yards (2017) - 180 ypg for us, 236.5 ypg for opponents.
Passing Yards (2016) - 222.5 ypg for us, 333 ypg for opponents.
So, we're down a bit on what we're doing...but we did lose two of the top receivers in WIU history, so that brought down the average a bit. We're also giving up about 100 ypg less this year through the air, so the defense appears to be doing better on that front.

Total Offense (2017) - 432.5 ypg for us, 265.0 ypg for them.
Total Offense (2016) - 443 ypg for us, 446.5 ypg for them.
So, in general, pretty close on the total yards per game on our side of the ball. Passing a bit less, running a bit more (pretty much as to be expected), but giving up just over 180 fewer yards per game in total offense, which is a nice trend. If we can stick with that, it could end up being the difference of maybe a TD each game (we lost by 1 possession or less in two of our games last year...would have been 8-3 overall of we'd given up 7 fewer points in a couple of games).

TDs (2017) - 10
TDs (2016) - 7

TOP (2017) - 38:11 average
TOP (2016) - 35:44.5 average
So, winning TOP by a larger margin than last year.

Sacks Allowed (2017) - 1
Sacks Allowed (2016) - 4

Penalties (2017) - 11 for 100 yards
Penalties (2016) - 10 for 85 yards

Punts (2017) - 41.78 yards per punt
Punts (2016) - 41.8 yards per punt
Considering Luke Otto is now kicking up at Northwestern, I think it's pretty good that we have essentially the same yards per punt average as we did at this point last year and our current guy (Adam Fellner) is a Redshirt Freshman.

FGs (2017) - 3/3, made from 20, 27, and 41 (SO Sam Crosa)
FGs (2016) - 3/4, made from 24, 27, and 43 (SR Nathan Knuffman)

Brett Taylor Watch (2017) - 22 tackles, 8 solo, 1 for loss, 1 pass break up, 1 forced fumble
Brett Taylor Watch (2016) - 23 tackles, 12 solo, 2 for loss, 1 INT (returned for 12 yards)

Interceptions (2017) - 4 (Tyrin Holloway w/ 2, Justin Fitzpatrick w/ 1, Mike Viti w/ Pick 6)
Interceptions (2016) - 1 (Brett Taylor)

So, in general, we're doing about the same offensively overall, heavier towards the run than the pass than we were last year. We have a much stronger defense that's giving up fewer yards both on the ground and in the air, is putting more pressure on the QB and catching interceptions at a higher rate. Punting is doing about the same, and FG kicking is solid...no blocks, 3 for 3.

Again, two games are not really much to go by, but as compared to this point in the season last year, we're doing better. What are everyone else's thoughts on the season as it stands so far?
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

Viti had a pick 6 in the 1st game
leatherneckcountry

It's a great start to the season beat 2 teams that we should would love to see them pull out a win against Coastal i was super happy when we went to the 3-4 mainly because of are depth at LB but it's all going to come down to how we play in conference even the teams in the bottom of the league are improving USD will probably come in to league play at 3 and 0 we seem to have amazing depth at the RB position.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:37 pm Viti had a pick 6 in the 1st game
Whoops, you're right. Completely missed that one on the list. I was looking on the list of Overall Defensive Statistics but he was down at the bottom of the list since he doesn't actually have any tackles credited to him yet this season.

I have updated my original post with the new info.
leatherneckcountry wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:50 pm It's a great start to the season beat 2 teams that we should would love to see them pull out a win against Coastal i was super happy when we went to the 3-4 mainly because of are depth at LB but it's all going to come down to how we play in conference even the teams in the bottom of the league are improving USD will probably come in to league play at 3 and 0 we seem to have amazing depth at the RB position.
Yea, still really early and the MVFC is a tough slog. I started posting bye-week reviews a few years ago, back when we had a bye week roughly in the middle of the season. The placement of our week off has become "less than ideal" on many fronts.

I think we'll learn a lot about USD this weekend with their matchup with UND.
wiu712

Even with 2-0 start, WIU not taking anything for granted.

From today's McDonough County Voice:
http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/20 ... or-granted
sealhall74

I know you are all on pins and needles waiting for the Throwback Thursday Trivia question but I have not got my Leatherneck fix this week from the Charlie Fisher Show so this is all I can come up with:

In the long and storied history of WIU football, what is the overall record of the Leathernecks against the Bye Week?

If the audio for the show gets posted today, I might be able to come through with something better.
Embrace the pace of the race.
rocki

I think they have always won that week. :lol:
LocalYokelFan

Through 2 weeks (plus the bye week), we are a MUCH better football team than last year. Another year under Coach Fish's system and a defense that doesn't even look remotely the same - which is fantastic. Coach Fish made a great move in making the change at D-coordinator - If you look back on this board I was outspoken about my distaste for his predecessor. It's amazing the improvement that's been made and I think it just gets better with time and guys getting comfortable in that 3-4.

On the offensive side, as good as we've been, the passing game should improve. McGuire has been held in check through 2 games but he's too good to be for too long. Very excited to see how it all shakes out. We have a stretch of really tough games coming up and it will be fun to see how the 'Necks stack up and improve.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Interview with Coach Fisher on the radio this morning:
[media]http://macombnewsnow.com/assets/files/F ... tal%20.mp3[/media]
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Random question that someone asked me elsewhere. Any idea about what we pay for a "lower" school to come play at Macomb? Like...a Valpo, Butler, or even a Quincy University or someone? I was thinking it was somewhere around 20k, but idk for sure.