WIU at Coastal Carolina (9/23/2017)

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Image AT Image

Game Time: 5:30PM Central
Weather:
ImageImage

TV: ESPN3/WatchESPN.com
Radio: Announcers (Scott Kornberg, Dr. Tom Cody) - Beardstown - WRMS (94.3 FM); Macomb - WJEQ (102.7 FM); Galesburg - WAIK (1590 AM); Quincy - WPWQ (106.7 FM); Clinton, Iowa - (KCLN 1390 AM)
Internet: wrmsfm.com or Tune-In Radio App (Google store and iTunes)
Live Stats: Not posted yet
Game Notes: Western Illinois

A bit about Coastal Carolina
Last year, the Chanticleers played a FCS schedule and went 10-2 overall with losses only to FCS playoff teams Jacksonville State (by 1 point at JSU) and Charleston Southern (also by 1 point). Due to them being in the process of moving up to the FBS, they were ineligible for the playoffs. This year, I believe, is also considered a "transition year" with them playing a FBS schedule, but being ineligible for bowl games. Next year they will be considered full FBS and part of the Sun Belt.

So far this season, CCU is 1-1 with a 38-28 win over UMass for their home/season opener, then a bye week, and then a 30-23 loss at newly-reinstated UAB last weekend. They are averaging 274 rushing yards per game and are allowing 124 per game. In the air, they're putting up 90 per game and giving up 233.5 per game. RB Osharmar Abercrombie is averaging 112 rushing yards per game (6.2 per carry) with 4 TDs and was named Sun Belt Offensive Player of the Week following week 1 of the season. QB Tyler Keane has a 79.25 efficiency rating with 76 passing yards per game, 1 TD and 3 INTs and QB Dalton Demos has a 65.85 efficiency rating with 27 total passing yards (sounds like starting QB is still "up in the air" at this point). Their top receiver is Ky'jon Tyler with 27 yards per game and 0 TDs. Tyler also handles kick return duties, averaging 19 yards per punt return and 22.4 per kick return. Their top defensive players are Safety Fitz Wattley with 17 total tackles and LB Silas Kelly who also has 17 tackles in addition to 1.5 tackles for loss (.5 sack). Full CCU Stats for 2017.

Series History
Western has played Coastal Carolina twice in our history (both at Conway, SC). The first time was a 17-10 win in the 2010 FCS Playoffs and the second time was in 2015 (was the first part of what was supposed to be a H&H series) where we lost 34-27.

Predictions
Massey - 31-28, WIU Victory
Compughterratings.com - 31-30, CCU win
5Dimes Odds - WIU -5.5, Over/Under 57
Sagarin (calculation, doesn't round) - 30.39 to 30.15, CCU win
In general, it's pretty much even odds or with us slightly favored.

Rankings
Sagarin (out of all 254 DI teams) - WIU 104, CCU 161
STATS Top 25 - WIU 19
Massey Composite - WIU 13 (out of 124 FCS teams), CCU 110 (out of 129 FBS teams)
AGS Poll - WIU 14

My Take
CCU is a much different team than our last opponent. First off, they're technically FBS, although from the standpoint of the players, most of them were recruited while still FCS...but, they'd still be a pretty decent FCS team. Their strength is their running game, which probably plays well to our strengths on and slightly behind the D-Line. They don't pass much, but they have given up 3 INTs so far (2 games), so the passing game is probably not a huge worry. Defensively, they tend to be stronger against the run than through the air allowing 124 ypg on the ground and 233.5 ypg in the air. We'll likely need to up our passing/receiving game a bit over the last couple of weeks, but I'm hoping the addition of McShane, plus continued good running by Norris and some fun arena-ball-style pitch-and-catch with Acklin will add up to a solid offensive performance. If we can stop, or at least slow down their RB, I think we've got a great shot at coming away with a win.

Prediction: Western wins by 6-7 points.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Bumping the thread because I updated it with this weekend's relevant information.
sealhall74

I am hoping for a close game. A W will be hard-earned but within reach if we avoid turnovers. If history repeats itself (2 years back), I expect them to be noticeably quicker than us, especially on the special teams. Even with that deficit, I am thinking we steal this one away from the teal by a TD.

I know its not Thursday, but I think you might need extra time for this week's Throwback Trivia question. It is a little tricky as you need to know some logic, math, history, and geography (there is a clue in there somewhere):

Solve the following analogy:

Macomb is to X + Y
as Myrtle Beach is to Waccamaw * 2

What are X and Y?
Embrace the pace of the race.
rocki

Colchester and Argyle Lake? Saw something about pontoon boats on the Waccamaw River - made me think of Argyle.
sealhall74

rocki wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:19 am Colchester and Argyle Lake? Saw something about pontoon boats on the Waccamaw River - made me think of Argyle.
Not the ones I have in mind.
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:07 am Image AT Image

Game Time: 5:30PM Central
Weather:
ImageImage

TV: ESPN3/WatchESPN.com
Radio: Announcers (Scott Kornberg, Dr. Tom Cody) - Beardstown - WRMS (94.3 FM); Macomb - WJEQ (102.7 FM); Galesburg - WAIK (1590 AM); Quincy - WPWQ (106.7 FM); Clinton, Iowa - (KCLN 1390 AM)
Internet: wrmsfm.com or Tune-In Radio App (Google store and iTunes)
Live Stats: Not posted yet
Game Notes: Western Illinois

A bit about Coastal Carolina
Last year, the Chanticleers played a FCS schedule and went 10-2 overall with losses only to FCS playoff teams Jacksonville State (by 1 point at JSU) and Charleston Southern (also by 1 point). Due to them being in the process of moving up to the FBS, they were ineligible for the playoffs. This year, I believe, is also considered a "transition year" with them playing a FBS schedule, but being ineligible for bowl games. Next year they will be considered full FBS and part of the Sun Belt.

So far this season, CCU is 1-1 with a 38-28 win over UMass for their home/season opener, then a bye week, and then a 30-23 loss at newly-reinstated UAB last weekend. They are averaging 274 rushing yards per game and are allowing 124 per game. In the air, they're putting up 90 per game and giving up 233.5 per game. RB Osharmar Abercrombie is averaging 112 rushing yards per game (6.2 per carry) with 4 TDs and was named Sun Belt Offensive Player of the Week following week 1 of the season. QB Tyler Keane has a 79.25 efficiency rating with 76 passing yards per game, 1 TD and 3 INTs and QB Dalton Demos has a 65.85 efficiency rating with 27 total passing yards (sounds like starting QB is still "up in the air" at this point). Their top receiver is Ky'jon Tyler with 27 yards per game and 0 TDs. Tyler also handles kick return duties, averaging 19 yards per punt return and 22.4 per kick return. Their top defensive players are Safety Fitz Wattley with 17 total tackles and LB Silas Kelly who also has 17 tackles in addition to 1.5 tackles for loss (.5 sack). Full CCU Stats for 2017.

Series History
Western has played Coastal Carolina twice in our history (both at Conway, SC). The first time was a 17-10 win in the 2010 FCS Playoffs and the second time was in 2015 (was the first part of what was supposed to be a H&H series) where we lost 34-27.

Predictions
Massey - 31-28, WIU Victory
Compughterratings.com - 31-30, CCU win
5Dimes Odds - WIU -5.5, Over/Under 57
Sagarin (calculation, doesn't round) - 30.39 to 30.15, CCU win
In general, it's pretty much even odds or with us slightly favored.

Rankings
Sagarin (out of all 254 DI teams) - WIU 104, CCU 161
STATS Top 25 - WIU 19
Massey Composite - WIU 13 (out of 124 FCS teams), CCU 110 (out of 129 FBS teams)
AGS Poll - WIU 14

My Take
CCU is a much different team than our last opponent. First off, they're technically FBS, although from the standpoint of the players, most of them were recruited while still FCS...but, they'd still be a pretty decent FCS team. Their strength is their running game, which probably plays well to our strengths on and slightly behind the D-Line. They don't pass much, but they have given up 3 INTs so far (2 games), so the passing game is probably not a huge worry. Defensively, they tend to be stronger against the run than through the air allowing 124 ypg on the ground and 233.5 ypg in the air. We'll likely need to up our passing/receiving game a bit over the last couple of weeks, but I'm hoping the addition of McShane, plus continued good running by Norris and some fun arena-ball-style pitch-and-catch with Acklin will add up to a solid offensive performance. If we can stop, or at least slow down their RB, I think we've got a great shot at coming away with a win.

Prediction: Western wins by 6-7 points.
If memory serves me right they were the 1 team in the country going into that game 2 years ago and very questionable play calling going down the stretch cost them the game
rocki

sealhall74 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:26 am
rocki wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:19 am Colchester and Argyle Lake? Saw something about pontoon boats on the Waccamaw River - made me think of Argyle.
Not the ones I have in mind.
Oh well, I gave it a shot.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:45 am I am hoping for a close game. A W will be hard-earned but within reach if we avoid turnovers. If history repeats itself (2 years back), I expect them to be noticeably quicker than us, especially on the special teams. Even with that deficit, I am thinking we steal this one away from the teal by a TD.

I know its not Thursday, but I think you might need extra time for this week's Throwback Trivia question. It is a little tricky as you need to know some logic, math, history, and geography (there is a clue in there somewhere):

Macomb is to X + Y

What are X and Y?
Mississippi and Illinois Rivers?
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:39 am
sealhall74 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:45 am I am hoping for a close game. A W will be hard-earned but within reach if we avoid turnovers. If history repeats itself (2 years back), I expect them to be noticeably quicker than us, especially on the special teams. Even with that deficit, I am thinking we steal this one away from the teal by a TD.

Macomb is to X + Y

What are X and Y?
Mississippi and Illinois Rivers?
Nope. "Is" might be too constraining. I probably should have went with "Is or Was".
rocki

Sorry, but for me that's still as clear as mud......... :lol: