Coastal Carolina!!

Neckfansince71

I initially thought I would write a novel about our trip to Coastal but I have decided to break it down in points of interest instead and I will welcome questions later!

1. The itinerary we received early last week was for 3 days with times and places for team meetings, dinners, snacks, departures, and bedtimes included. We initially were scheduled to leave around 1:30 pm. on Friday which would have been a lot more leisurely than the actual departure time of around 7:00 pm.
2. We met the team caravan at the Quadcities airport. 3 busloads of players, coaches, wives, equipment managers, radio staff, athletic staff, trainers, photographer, closed bins of equipment, more equipment, and more equipment. I was a bit surprised at the amount of stuff that was unloaded and unloaded and loaded and unloaded throughout the trip. It reminded me of a small army with not only soldiers, but all the support and staff that goes with a deployment.
3. My wife and I were welcomed with open arms by everyone. I mean everyone. Our players to the man, are well behaved gentlemen. I got a nice pic of me and most of the DB’s on the wharf at Myrtle Beach. They could not have been nicer. I know I work for the athletic department and I know most of the football staff knows that, but their kindness went farther than that. A special shout out to “Holden Boyle” of football operations. He directed and managed every step we took, was the first one off the bus, and was the first to introduce himself. He took attendance, marshalled players to the buses, over saw equipment loading and unloading, and at the end of Saturday night, figured out what to do with 300 Krispy Cream Donuts that someone provided for the players and staff.
4. I was very upset when Coach Neilsen left for USD, but I am very thankful that it gave Charlie Fisher the chance to coach football at WIU. The ESPN3 color man said a number of times how well coached WIU was on Saturday night. I could not agree more. I love the staff too. Each week there will be another challenge, and USD is next, but there is a very specific message that resonates throughout the program, “Finish what you start!”
5. A shout out to Coach Fisher’s wife Julie! Coastal Carolina has a new stadium rule that limits the size of bags and purses brought through the gates by fans. CC failed to inform the “powers that be” of this situation and Julie with the help of Mr. Boyle and a kind gentlemen working security, problem solved a solution and she continued to tell WIU fans and player’s parents the situation as they went by the team entrance gate.
6. Because of airplane mechanical problems, we took off around 7:00 pm. in a very cramped version of the 737. Every single person was assigned a seat and some of the larger players were given a seat in between to help with the situation. I don’t think I would recommend SwiftAir to anyone flying somewhere although the trip home was in a roomier and newer 737. We walked down a terminal gangway to get the trip going, but from then on, we walked down stairs to the tarmac and immediately loaded on buses for the trip to Myrtle Beach and back. Felt like I was a President when we boarded to go home, so I turned and waved to the empty buses Ronald Reagan like, just for good measure.
7. We headed over to the Alumni gathering once we arrived at the stadium. They had shuttle buses running to and from the stadium throughout the day. Coastal Carolina is a very new campus, with very nice athletic facilities. The baseball stadium is as nice as any Class A or AA stadium in the minor leagues and they won the NCAA Baseball Championship in 2016. I got to have some quality time talking with Seal74 at this event. Amy Spelman, alumni director always goes out of her way to make this type of event happen.
8. A number of people asked me who WIU was, where was it located, was our team any good, what division were we, etc. except a couple of security and athletic event types that remembered Nikko Watson from two years before and that last-minute win by the Chanticleers. No one, I mean no one had any idea the size of the “can of whoop ass” that was going to be opened at kickoff. We had sideline passes and spent the first half down on the field. But our 60 year old legs told us to go sit in the “President’s” box up above and that turned out to be a very good choice. Once the second half started, it was obvious that CC’s football team wanted nothing to do with the Leathernecks and it became a game of, “I wonder what the final score will be” and I wonder when the second-string offense will make an appearance. There was a huge turnout of Leatherneck fans, and as we walked towards the gate to go home, an athletic staff member told me just how nice the Leatherneck faithful were and how the team was the most respectful team that had ever played football on the “teal” carpet. “You really travel well!” was his comment.
9. Took a little time to get loaded up for the trip to the airport. Box lunchs were supplied for the trip to the Quadcities on Friday and Chickfillet was supplied for the bus trip back to the airport. We ate dinner upon arrival Friday at the Sheraton basically because we were so late getting in. In fact, the players didn’t even go to their rooms, luggage was left in the convention center hallway, and we went right to the dinning area for brocholli, chicken, salad, rolls, pasta, and a lot of icecream with all of the fixings. From there, players went right to bed. We were not included in the bed check and we walked over to Hobo’s for a glass of wine and a chance to unwind. The players schedule was basically filled with breakfast and meetings the next day, and then Charlie let the boys play a bit at the beach. This would have never happened in the “old days!” Of course, the pregame meal followed and then it was relax and “chill out” until the bus left for the stadium at 3:30. Mr. Boyle was at it again, walking through the convention area, pointing the direction of the bus to players and staff. I must say that when I coached I was always very excited to get on the bus for the trip to the game. I once again felt the same way. I had a lot of fun kidding Danny Frey and Scott Kornberg on the trip in. It was nice to be surrounded by “energetic” kids once again.
10. Finally, we arrived at the Quadcities at 1:30 am. The equipment managers and almost anyone else that was on the tarmac helped haul bins, boxes, and luggage to the 3 buses ready to head to Macomb. By 2:00 the buses were underway and Debbie and I, after paying our parking fee were headed back to the suburbs. We walked in the house at 4:00 am. A bit weary but happy! I know we all talk about the many things that can be improved to make our athletic department better and much of it requires money and time. But we were very happy to be a part of such a class act and would do it again in a “heart beat!” Guess I wrote a novel anyway! Enough said! ;) jc
letsgonecks

Sounded like a long, but great experience. Our team playing great certainly helped the cause.

Thanks for sharing and for what you do!!!!!!
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Great info, thanks for the report.

Sounds like time and space were quite a bit "tighter" than when the women's BBall team went to Tallahassee last spring. I'm glad that the locals got a favorable impression of our crew (even if their team may not have ;) )

Hopefully once my kids are older and out of the house, I can swing a trip every now and then to a "destination game" like that.

Glad you had a good time, and glad we came away with such an overwhelming win.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

Domination: Leathernecks slaughter Chanticleers 52-10, remain undefeated.

From today's Western Courier:
https://westerncourier.com/38818/sports ... ndefeated/