WIU vs South Dakota (9/30/17) - HOMECOMING!!!

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Image VS Image

Game Time: 3:00PM Central, 9/30/2017
Weather:
ImageImage

TV: ESPN3/WatchESPN.com
Radio: Announcers (Scott Kornberg, Dr. Tom Cody) - Beardstown - WRMS (94.3 FM); Macomb - WJEQ (102.7 FM); Galesburg - WAIK (1590 AM); Quincy - WPWQ (106.7 FM); Clinton, Iowa - (KCLN 1390 AM)
Internet: wrmsfm.com or Tune-In Radio App (Google store and iTunes)
Live Stats: Should be here, link not active currently.
Game Notes: Western Illinois | South Dakota

A bit about South Dakota
The Coyotes are also 3-0 on the season, having blown out (Non-Scholarship) Drake, 77-7, in their first game, rolling over (FBS, MAC) Bowling Green, 35-27 the next week, and then crushing then-highly-ranked rival North Dakota 45-7 the third week. They had last weekend off (along with half of the conference).

They average 52.3 ppg (kinda skewed by that Drake score, though) and give up 13.7 ppg. Their average yardage overall is 561.3, with 270.3 of that on the ground and 291 through the air. Defensively they are stronger against the run (85.3 ypg) than against the pass (205.3 ypg). They don't turn the ball over very much and they are able to get sacks on QBs fairly often, but they have also given up quite a few sacks as well to opposing defenses.
Full USD Stats for 2017.

Also, in case you've been living under a rock for the last few years, 8 members of USD's coaching staff were members of our coaching staff two years ago. In addition, their Run Game/O-Line coach, Bill O'Boyle played for us for two years in the '80s and then coached O-Line here from '90-'94. So, there's a lot of familiarity there.

USD Players to Watch:
  • QB Chris Streveler - 280 ypg passing, 76.3 ypg rushing, 7 TDs thrown (0 INTs), 6 TDs run for.
  • RBs Michael Fredrick and Kai Henry have 2 and 3 TDs respectively and each have run for ~57 yards per game.
  • WRs Shamar Jackson and Kody Case each have 2 TDs and 50+ ypg receiving.
  • DB Phillip Powell leads the team in interceptions with 2 including 1 returned for TD. He also has 12 tackles on the season.
  • DB Danny Rambo leads the team with 17 tackles, 2 for loss.
  • DL Darin Greenfield has the most tackles for loss (8.5) and sacks (3) to go along with 16 tackles.
Series History
Western has played South Dakota 7 times. We have a 5-2 advantage in the series, although since we've started playing them every year (2012), we are 5-0. The two losses were in 1976 and 1977. Last year's meeting was a 35-34 come-from-behind win at the DakotaDome.

Predictions
Massey - 35-32, WIU Victory
Compughterratings.com - 35-30, WIU win
5Dimes Odds - WIU -3, USD +3 (means we're favored by 3 points), O/U 66.5 (so, scores in the 30-35 range most likely)
Sagarin (calculation, doesn't round) - 35.03 to 33.58, WIU win
In general, we have a slight (3-5 pt) advantage, which is generally what they usually give for home field advantage. Essentially, we're pretty darn even, but it's at our place, so we've got that going for us, which is nice.

Rankings
Sagarin (out of all 254 DI teams) - WIU 84, USD 85
STATS Top 25 - WIU 13, UDS 10
Massey Composite - WIU 6, USD 5
AGS Poll - WIU 9, USD 7

My Take
I think it all comes down to how well we can stop Chris Streveler. I'm not too intimidated by their defense considering how well we've done so far, but if our defense has any weakness in this game, Streveler will find it and exploit it. He leads the team in passing yards, rushing yards, passing TDs, and rushing TDs. The good news is that we've gone against passing offenses (NAU) and running/option offenses (CCU) and, while sometimes it's taken a little while, the experience we have on defense has allowed our players to figure things out and lock down opposing teams pretty well. This will be a different style of offense, with a dual-threat QB, but I'm confident that we can figure out how to shut him down. There will also be the added motivation of being at home, at homecoming. The guys will have to work to keep their excitement in check though, so they don't do "too much" and blow past assignments or get sucked into giving Streveler too much space to run.

Prediction:
I think we probably get a decent number of points, but USD stays a lot closer than any of the other teams we've played this year. Like last year, a close finish, but Western comes away with another win. This time...38-31.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

[youtube][/youtube]
yoteforever

I'm really looking forward to my trip to Macomb Saturday for what I think is going to be a whale of a game. I'm very impressed with your football team, they are playing outstanding. I thought at the beginning of the season both WIU and USD would be much improved, but I didn't see this much improvement...on both teams.

The MVFC is simply unbelievable in talent, strength, and team parity. There are 6 teams for sure, maybe 7 ( UNI ) that can bet anyone they play in the conference. I see you're rated at 16th, and by my calculation, should be in the Top 10.

I'm very confident we will play well Saturday but I'm not 100% convinced we have the depth yet. Maybe we do, I simply don't know. I think from all indications both schools are playoff teams. Although our wins against Bowling Green and North Dakota look good on paper, they did lose some luster after last weeks resukts. Nonetheless, we did beat teams fairly handily and one of them on the road.

Whoever wrote up the matchup is spot on. They have us pegged pretty well. Weather could play a role as well. Windy conditions would hamper our ability to move the ball as we have in the past 3 games. However, if it's calm out, then that broadens our arsenal. The last time USD won in Macomb I was a sophomore, and that was a butt load of years ago.😄

Obviously hoping for a win, but certainly expecting a great game. Are your tailgates open for visiting team fans, or do you shut them out? Would love to mingle and have good discussions before the game. Really looking forward to it.
leatherneckcountry

yoteforever wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:20 pm I'm really looking forward to my trip to Macomb Saturday for what I think is going to be a whale of a game. I'm very impressed with your football team, they are playing outstanding. I thought at the beginning of the season both WIU and USD would be much improved, but I didn't see this much improvement...on both teams.

The MVFC is simply unbelievable in talent, strength, and team parity. There are 6 teams for sure, maybe 7 ( UNI ) that can bet anyone they play in the conference. I see you're rated at 16th, and by my calculation, should be in the Top 10.

I'm very confident we will play well Saturday but I'm not 100% convinced we have the depth yet. Maybe we do, I simply don't know. I think from all indications both schools are playoff teams. Although our wins against Bowling Green and North Dakota look good on paper, they did lose some luster after last weeks resukts. Nonetheless, we did beat teams fairly handily and one of them on the road.

Whoever wrote up the matchup is spot on. They have us pegged pretty well. Weather could play a role as well. Windy conditions would hamper our ability to move the ball as we have in the past 3 games. However, if it's calm out, then that broadens our arsenal. The last time USD won in Macomb I was a sophomore, and that was a butt load of years ago.😄

Obviously hoping for a win, but certainly expecting a great game. Are your tailgates open for visiting team fans, or do you shut them out? Would love to mingle and have good discussions before the game. Really looking forward to it.
Welcome yote forever there is a reserved section for tailgating and the rest is 1st come 1st serve.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

yoteforever wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:20 pm I'm really looking forward to my trip to Macomb Saturday for what I think is going to be a whale of a game. I'm very impressed with your football team, they are playing outstanding. I thought at the beginning of the season both WIU and USD would be much improved, but I didn't see this much improvement...on both teams.

Welcome Yoteforever, glad to have you. Like you said, both teams have been playing some very excellent football so far this season. I don't care how badly Bowling Green is doing...they still have more scholarships available than we do and larger football budgets than all except for maybe NDSU...so it's still an impressive win...and you guys made it look easy (not as easy as we made it look against CCU, but still... ;) )

As for polls, it's still pretty early, but I generally put more stock in the AGS poll than some of the other "big name" polls: http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthr ... 09-25-2017
AGS is consistently much more accurate for predicting games and playoff bids than the others. They have 6 MVFC teams in their top 10:
2. NDSU
3. SDSU
6. YSU
7. USD
9. WIU
10. ILSU
The reality is, we've got one team that's essentially tied for #1 (NDSU) and then a bunch that are all just phenomenally good and we just will have to wait until we all play each other to sort out who is on top and who is a playoff "bubble" team. Personally, from what I've seen so far, if we all keep playing the way we have been (of course, there's no guarantee of that), NDSU, SDSU, USD, and WIU should all make the playoffs. YSU and ILSU both have good chances too, but I haven't been quite as impressed with them yet. YSU gets a big test this weekend too though.

At this point, winds are supposed to be light, sunny, but high 60's, so very nice weather for a football game. If Streveler can get your receivers in on the game as well, then we could have some problems. If we can cut things down to just him though, I think we can probably handle it.

Our tailgating is open to the public, first come, first served. Here's more info about that: http://goleathernecks.com/sports/2014/6 ... 42133.aspx
There is a small section closest to the field that is reserved for Leatherneck Club members, but outside of that, you're free to grab a spot wherever. In the past, I've usually seen it where the Leatherneck Club is the first row (south), other WIU fans are in the second row, and visiting fans are in the third row: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4708481 ... a=!3m1!1e3

Stop by, grab some food, chat with some WIU people. Should be a good crowd since it's Homecoming and our first home game. I'll be in the Alumni Band, so you'll see/hear me playing with them over on the west side of the tailgate area before we head into the stadium. I hope you enjoy everything about your trip except the final score ;)
leatherneckcountry

This going to be an amazing game probably one of the most excited homecoming games going in that i can remember this game will be the toughest are secondary has had so far will see how improved we truly are. Also think this game could be decided in the 1st and 3rd quarter's I can't remember ever seeing a team that has had as great of 1st quarters as USD has had this year and WIU has had really good 3rd quarters so far i think we make just enough plays to pull out a close one 38-35.
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:13 pm

Welcome Yoteforever, glad to have you. Like you said, both teams have been playing some very excellent football so far this season. I don't care how badly Bowling Green is doing...they still have more scholarships available than we do and larger football budgets than all except for maybe NDSU...so it's still an impressive win...and you guys made it look easy (not as easy as we made it look against CCU, but still... ;) )

As for polls, it's still pretty early, but I generally put more stock in the AGS poll than some of the other "big name" polls: http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthr ... 09-25-2017
AGS is consistently much more accurate for predicting games and playoff bids than the others. They have 6 MVFC teams in their top 10:
2. NDSU
3. SDSU
6. YSU
7. USD
9. WIU
10. ILSU
The reality is, we've got one team that's essentially tied for #1 (NDSU) and then a bunch that are all just phenomenally good and we just will have to wait until we all play each other to sort out who is on top and who is a playoff "bubble" team. Personally, from what I've seen so far, if we all keep playing the way we have been (of course, there's no guarantee of that), NDSU, SDSU, USD, and WIU should all make the playoffs. YSU and ILSU both have good chances too, but I haven't been quite as impressed with them yet. YSU gets a big test this weekend too though.

At this point, winds are supposed to be light, sunny, but high 60's, so very nice weather for a football game. If Streveler can get your receivers in on the game as well, then we could have some problems. If we can cut things down to just him though, I think we can probably handle it.

Our tailgating is open to the public, first come, first served. Here's more info about that: http://goleathernecks.com/sports/2014/6 ... 42133.aspx
There is a small section closest to the field that is reserved for Leatherneck Club members, but outside of that, you're free to grab a spot wherever. In the past, I've usually seen it where the Leatherneck Club is the first row (south), other WIU fans are in the second row, and visiting fans are in the third row: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4708481 ... a=!3m1!1e3

Stop by, grab some food, chat with some WIU people. Should be a good crowd since it's Homecoming and our first home game. I'll be in the Alumni Band, so you'll see/hear me playing with them over on the west side of the tailgate area before we head into the stadium. I hope you enjoy everything about your trip except the final score ;)
I just don't trust ISU offense i think there defense will keep them in games but this is the 1st in a while were i thought that we are truly better than them.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: I just don't trust ISU offense i think there defense will keep them in games but this is the 1st in a while were i thought that we are truly better than them.
I think maybe that's my issue with them and YSU this year. Pretty solid defenses, but offenses have been somewhat suspect. They might be able to break open a 30 point game every now and then, but it feels like they're more of "first team to 20 points wins" kinda teams. That can be a problem if someone is able to break out one or two big plays on them and really turn the game around.

With us and USD for the most part, we can both score enough points consistently that a late game TD by the opposition isn't too worrisome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
leatherneckcountry

So I'm not finding coach fisher radio show tonight
rocki

leatherneckcountry wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:10 pm So I'm not finding coach fisher radio show tonight
I found it on Facebook (wiu athletics) but it's frozen.