WIU vs South Dakota (9/30/17) - HOMECOMING!!!

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:14 pm Attendance was posted as 5,631. That sure seems like a low number.
Wait...what? No freakin' way. That can't be right.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

meganeck wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:34 pm Could you tell, did it look like McShane was still injured?
I don't know if he's still injured, or maybe he's just not finding the holes now that defenders aren't having to deal with Lenoir and Borsellino, or what...but it looks like Norris is able to run the ball more effectively right now. Lots of credit to USD's defense...they were able to completely shut us down for a good 2 1/2 quarters. Took us just too long to get the ship righted and on-track. If we'd had another 5 minutes, I think we could have finished the comeback and won, but we just spotted them too many points to make it all the way back.
Check_Down

So, there were people on the hills on both Norht and South berms. Also, a lot of people hanging out on all the fences.

Tim Van Alstein would have called this about 23,000. However, under 6K nobody that was there believes that. Students get in free, nobody does a Costco count, you know the counters Umpires have. Our attendance has been under reported since Matt Tanney took the helm.
yoteforever

Just got home about an hour ago and not really sure how I feel. Very happy we got the win but amazed how 2 years in a row we squandered a huge 2nd half lead. Someone on your board posted there's no quit in your team and that's accurate.

Two very good Valley teams squared off in Macomb and USD was the fortunate team to get the win. The MVFC is simply tough as hell. Although you didn't win your team showed great character. It was a 4 quarter fist fight where we dominated for 40 minutes and you dominated for the last 20. Best wishes for the rest of the season. I'm glad you ran out of time, that's all I can say.

Good luck Leathernecks
Check_Down

One other thing that ST_Lawson may have noticed the East side has three light standards that have dual mounted P.A. horns. I'm not going to disparage how just comically outdated they are. I say that because apparently the East side North Horns and Center Horns have been retired, as not a sound came out of them.

I don't want to sound harsh, but. Ummm those are the same style tech, horns that were used in the 1960s.

I like the Idea of one source of sound comming from the North. I.e. a cluster of Loud speakers. My suggestion, up the wattage/speakers and keep it comming from one direction. Exactly like U of I does. Holy crap the boom and sound that can come from the south endzone is above impressive, deafening.

Btw way, Lawson you should run the Illinois 5k great event.

Is our P.A. anouncer a freshman?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Check_Down wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:26 pm
So, there were people on the hills on both Norht and South berms. Also, a lot of people hanging out on all the fences.

Tim Van Alstein would have called this about 23,000. However, under 6K nobody that was there believes that. Students get in free, nobody does a Costco count, you know the counters Umpires have. Our attendance has been under reported since Matt Tanney took the helm.
Idk about 23k, but I've been to games that I know had fewer people and were reported at like 14k...back in the Val Alstein days. I'd guess the real number was somewhere around 10k-12k. I haven't seen as big of a crowd at a WIU game in...idk, maybe a decade.

Side note, when the Alumni Band were walking over to the front of the field, we walked past Mike Scifres. I made a point of saying hi to him and was pretty impressed that he remembered my name. We had a couple of broadcasting classes together...they were small classes with lots of student interaction, but still, that was like 16-17 years (and a...what...13-year NFL career for him) ago.

Speakers - Yea, I'm well aware of the speaker issue. One song specifically came on and all the treble was coming out of the crappy old horns on the south light poles and all the bass was coming out of the speakers under the scoreboard. Problem was, they were just a tad off from each other, so the song sounded out of sync and like it was bouncing back and forth between the two sides. It was just horrible. I agree that U of I has a nice setup, crazy loud speakers on one end...works well and fills the stadium with sound. Like you, I think just cutting out the old horns and beefing up the speakers under the scoreboard at the North end would probably work a lot better.

Where's that Illinois 5k event located? Is that part of the Illinois Marathon over in Champaign? I've thought about running the Half-marathon there before, but it's never worked out...yet.
Check_Down

ST_Lawson wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:02 am
Check_Down wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:26 pm

Idk about 23k, but I've been to games that I know had fewer people and were reported at like 14k...back in the Val Alstein days. I'd guess the real number was somewhere around 10k-12k. I haven't seen as big of a crowd at a WIU game in...idk, maybe a decade.

Side note, when the Alumni Band were walking over to the front of the field, we walked past Mike Scifres. I made a point of saying hi to him and was pretty impressed that he remembered my name. We had a couple of broadcasting classes together...they were small classes with lots of student interaction, but still, that was like 16-17 years (and a...what...13-year NFL career for him) ago.

Speakers - Yea, I'm well aware of the speaker issue. One song specifically came on and all the treble was coming out of the crappy old horns on the south light poles and all the bass was coming out of the speakers under the scoreboard. Problem was, they were just a tad off from each other, so the song sounded out of sync and like it was bouncing back and forth between the two sides. It was just horrible. I agree that U of I has a nice setup, crazy loud speakers on one end...works well and fills the stadium with sound. Like you, I think just cutting out the old horns and beefing up the speakers under the scoreboard at the North end would probably work a lot better.

Where's that Illinois 5k event located? Is that part of the Illinois Marathon over in Champaign? I've thought about running the Half-marathon there before, but it's never worked out...yet.
Thank you for agreeing with me about those stupid sad horn speakers, I don't actually know how old they are, Let me say this I haven't seen Horn speakers anywhere for 20 years. Jessh, Ken Burns could've just used our stadium as a back drop for his Vietnam series.

Oh about the Illinois 5k half and full marathon it is the best attended in the state outside the Chicago Marathon. I think it is only maybe 13 years old. Cool part, is you run through Green st. and all the Frat guys cheer and try to give you booze, and the end is great cause you come into Memorial Stadium "and they call out your name" (if they can read your bib)
Western_101

Matt needs to keep shaving his head.

I know, I know, it has got to be tiresome.

To Matt's credit he actually seems to give a **** that is rare these days. I think a lot of why he is so dedicated to the University is his upbringing. Listen, we can all talk about whatever, but Matt gets it big time that WIU is Football first. (calm down it's a message board of course it education first, congratulations you ruined my rant.) Right so, I'll try another angle, jezze louise would I be posting here at this time of night if I had a life?

(Jury pitties a wretched chump)

Im in my 40's and when I was young i just knew that WIU was football. Nortre Dame too. Sir, Tanney. WIU at Notre Dame would be...something I can't comprehend. That would be, well, legendary.
leatherneckcountry

I wish WIU would look into start times basically every game last year and yesterdays game if you are on the far side you are completely blinded by the sun when we finally started to move it was 38-6 i guess we should have moved sooner.
meganeck

ST_Lawson wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:21 pm
wiu712 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:14 pm Attendance was posted as 5,631. That sure seems like a low number.
Wait...what? No freakin' way. That can't be right.
Well glad to hear there were more people than that attendance figure.....