WIU vs Missouri State (10/14/2017)

wiu712

Western wins 49-30. Western scored 2 TD's after the game resumed from the Lightning Delay.

Western had 282 rushing yards and 249 passing yards. Total Offense = 531.

Sean McGuire was 18 for 25 on passes with 3 TD's.

Attendance = 3,217.

For a Family Weekend game, that has to be considered a very disappointing attendance. Looks like we greatly over-built the east side in 2007 based on the attendance for the past 2 years.

I was at the game. Before I got to my car, I heard the Hanson Field PA announce that another round of storms was fast approaching. So the game ended just in time.
leatherneckcountry

wiu712 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:26 pm Western wins 49-30. Western scored 2 TD's after the game resumed from the Lightning Delay.

Western had 282 rushing yards and 249 passing yards. Total Offense = 531.

Sean McGuire was 18 for 25 on passes with 3 TD's.

Attendance = 3,217.

For a Family Weekend game, that has to be considered a very disappointing attendance. Looks like we greatly over-built the east side in 2007 based on the attendance for the past 2 years.

I was at the game. Before I got to my car, I heard the Hanson Field PA announce that another round of storms was fast approaching. So the game ended just in time.
I still think the length of games has to do with poor attendance games should not be taking 4hrs does espn3 really need that much time each game to show the same 3 commercials todays game would have been over before the storms had it not been for the long media delays games seem to be taking longer each year.
leatherneckcountry

Leatherneck309 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:03 pm
leatherneckcountry wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:44 pm Well I’m in the union and I saw lightning 5 minutes ago and Danny Frey is in the union so I expected it will be a bit
Thanks for the update! Trying to watch on espn3. Doesn't seem as if WIU is real interested in providing updates as nothing on Twitter for the last 52 minutes.
In there defense you have to wait until 30 minutes after lightning stops and the way the storm was moving it was kind of hard to tell when it was to stop we were on the far south of a lot of it the storms got really ugly further north part of the roof in the monmouth fire station flew off.
Tere North

wiu712 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:26 pm Attendance = 3,217.

The East side was rebuilt with student fees, covering the same space and adding restrooms and concessions. While the stadium certainly isn't full, the East side provides safe access and is handicap accessible.

The way the West side has deteriorated, I wonder if it might need to be closed off entirely.
Neckfansince71

And that is exactly how ISU built their eastside press box, with student fees!!!! Any renovation funds for our westside must come from private donors! Just thought you might want to know that! ;) jc
wiu712

leatherneckcountry wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:24 amThe storms got really ugly further north. Part of the roof on the Monmouth fire station flew off.
From KBUR Radio, Burlington:

Hail and strong wind gusts hit the area on Saturday night.

The severe weather caused the roof of the North Fire Station in Monmouth to break down.

Captain Ralph Peeler reported to KWQC-TV (Davenport) that approximately 15 ft by 80 ft sections have been blown off the roof and two 14 ft wide overhead doors fell apart.

One of the doors landed on one ambulance, damaging the windshield, grill, and a few emergency lights.

Nobody was injured.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

My dad shot a good video looking towards the stadium from the union when the storms were coming through. We headed up there when the game was postponed, hung out in the Brattain Lounge up on the 2nd floor overlooking the football field, and waited out the storm. Once it had passed and the teams were back out warming up, we headed back down and watched the rest of the game.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Neckfansince71

Obviously the right decision by the athletic department. After this line of storms went through there was another that was following. Tough call, right call! ;) jc
wiu712

From the Springfield, MO News-Leader:

Mountain-View Liberty alum Jaelon Acklin lifts Western Illinois over Missouri State.
www.news-leader.com/story/sports/colleg ... 765191001/

Missouri State Coach Steckel takes responsibility for 'bonehead' fake punt.
www.news-leader.com/story/sports/colleg ... 765470001/
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Neckfansince71 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:38 pm Obviously the right decision by the athletic department. After this line of storms went through there was another that was following. Tough call, right call! ;) jc
I don't think that was the athletics dept. though. NCAA rule mandates games postponed if lightning visible in the area. The game can restart a specific time after lightning is seen (it's 20 or 30 minutes, but I can't remember which), but every time lightning is seen, the clock is restarted...so you're looking at 20-30 after the last time lightning is seen in the area. That's an NCAA rule.

I think that once teams are allowed back on the field, there's either a designated amount of time given for warmups, or the officials meet with the coaching staffs to agree on warmup time, depending on how long the game was postponed.

If it was up to an athletics department, then you might end up seeing a team that has all the momentum delay postponing the game to keep that going, or you might see a team that is struggling (like we were) postpone to try to halt the other team's momentum. I don't think you want to leave those decisions in the hands of the schools. Many AD's would likely make the right call for the safety of the players and the fans, but I'd bet there's a few instances out there where someone might "stretch" things to their advantage.

It was the right call though. No way you could play football in that weather, and we were able to get the rest of the game in with plenty of time before the next line came through.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000