WIU vs Missouri State (10/14/2017)

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:37 am Well expect a very small crowd tomorrow based off the forecast.
At least it won't be cold ;)

It'll be me, my parents, the band, and maybe a couple hundred of the "die-hards" out there.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

Game Day Forecast for Saturday:

Thunderstorms likely in the morning. Then the chance for scattered thunderstorms in the afternoon. A few storms may be severe. The sun should not be a problem for the east-side fans. Sunset will be at 6:23 PM.

High = 80.
Humidity = 78%.
Winds = South at 10-15 mph.
Chance of rain = 80%.
UV Index = 2 of 10.

Fans looking for a pre-game meal should consider the 25th annual Smoking Hog Roast at the Alpha Gamma Rho house (1010 North Lafayette). This is their annual fund-raiser for V.I.B.E. (Volunteers Interested in Benefiting Everyone).
wiu712

Another lunch option for Saturday's game:

Sodexo Campus Services will be hosting a cookout near the Recreation Center. They are serving food and beverages for just $5 a person.
wiu712

Football looks to start 5-1.

By Mat McClanahan, Sports Editor, Western Courier:

The Western Illinois University football team hosts the Missouri State University Bears tomorrow at 3 p.m. at Hanson Field. The Bears look to get revenge on the Leathernecks from last year’s loss.

The Leathernecks, ranked 17th in the FCS, are trying to get back on track after a homecoming loss two weeks ago. Western has not won at home yet this season, but the Bears seem to have bigger issues than that. Missouri State is 1-4 on the season and 0-2 in conference play; after getting beaten down by Illinois State University and North Dakota State University by a combined 52 points.

In these teams’ last matchup, Western won the game on a rushing touchdown from former running back Devon Moore with 43 seconds left to take a 3-point lead and ultimately get a victory. However, at this time last year, Western had some different faces at wide out. Both former Leathernecks, wide receiver Joey Borsellino and Lance Lenoir had huge part in the team’s comeback win last season.

Last year’s victory against the Bears broke a five game losing streak for the Leathernecks.

The Bears are struggling in every aspect of the game; Missouri State has only scored one touchdown in each of the last two games their defense has not been able to stop any offense either. North Dakota State scored 28 points in two quarters against the Bears and Illinois State scored 28 in a single quarter against their weak defense.

If Missouri State has a chance against Western, they will have to find a way to stop their high powered offense, is fueled by junior quarterback Sean McGuire and senior wide receiver Jaelon Acklin.

“We’ve got a good vertical passing game. We know what we’re doing, throwing the ball down the field,” said Fisher. “We’ve got a guy that’s experienced, (McGuire) has been in this situation so many times. He’s going to look at you, he’s going to wink, he’s going to tell you, ‘Coach, I got it,’ and I believe him. I’d take him anytime, anywhere, any place, on my team.”

McGuire is third in the MVFC in passing yards, but a lot of his success is a tribute to Acklin. Acklin is the Missouri Valley Football Conference Leader in receiving yards, and it is not close. Acklin leads the MVFC with 40 receptions and 742 receiving yards with seven touchdowns to top it all off. All of his stats nearly double the next best wide receiver in the MVFC.

Western is not only leading the conference in receiving, but they also have the conference’s leading tackler in senior linebacker Brett Taylor. Taylor, who tied the Western record for sacks in a game with 28, sits at top of the conference leader board with 71 total tackles in the year.

Acklin and Taylor have made names for themselves in the conference, but this is the game for another Leatherneck to step up. If Western wants to take a step in the right direction within the conference, they cannot be a one dimensional team.

Junior wide receiver Zeke LeSure had his first touchdown of the season last week, and hopefully that will start him up for a great mid-season run. If Western can get LeSure and Acklin playing at a high level, their offense will be lethal.

This matchup should be a smooth victory for Western, which will bring the Leathernecks’ record to 5-1 on the season and bring the team to just one win shy of what they accomplished all last year. With a win tomorrow afternoon, Western will put themselves in a great position for a playoff run that was squandered last season.
WIU11DC

wiu712 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:08 pm Football looks to start 5-1.

By Mat McClanahan, Sports Editor, Western Courier:

The Western Illinois University football team hosts the Missouri State University Bears tomorrow at 3 p.m. at Hanson Field. The Bears look to get revenge on the Leathernecks from last year’s loss.

The Leathernecks, ranked 17th in the FCS, are trying to get back on track after a homecoming loss two weeks ago. Western has not won at home yet this season, but the Bears seem to have bigger issues than that. Missouri State is 1-4 on the season and 0-2 in conference play; after getting beaten down by Illinois State University and North Dakota State University by a combined 52 points.

In these teams’ last matchup, Western won the game on a rushing touchdown from former running back Devon Moore with 43 seconds left to take a 3-point lead and ultimately get a victory. However, at this time last year, Western had some different faces at wide out. Both former Leathernecks, wide receiver Joey Borsellino and Lance Lenoir had huge part in the team’s comeback win last season.

Last year’s victory against the Bears broke a five game losing streak for the Leathernecks.

The Bears are struggling in every aspect of the game; Missouri State has only scored one touchdown in each of the last two games their defense has not been able to stop any offense either. North Dakota State scored 28 points in two quarters against the Bears and Illinois State scored 28 in a single quarter against their weak defense.

If Missouri State has a chance against Western, they will have to find a way to stop their high powered offense, is fueled by junior quarterback Sean McGuire and senior wide receiver Jaelon Acklin.

“We’ve got a good vertical passing game. We know what we’re doing, throwing the ball down the field,” said Fisher. “We’ve got a guy that’s experienced, (McGuire) has been in this situation so many times. He’s going to look at you, he’s going to wink, he’s going to tell you, ‘Coach, I got it,’ and I believe him. I’d take him anytime, anywhere, any place, on my team.”

McGuire is third in the MVFC in passing yards, but a lot of his success is a tribute to Acklin. Acklin is the Missouri Valley Football Conference Leader in receiving yards, and it is not close. Acklin leads the MVFC with 40 receptions and 742 receiving yards with seven touchdowns to top it all off. All of his stats nearly double the next best wide receiver in the MVFC.

Western is not only leading the conference in receiving, but they also have the conference’s leading tackler in senior linebacker Brett Taylor. Taylor, who tied the Western record for sacks in a game with 28, sits at top of the conference leader board with 71 total tackles in the year.

Acklin and Taylor have made names for themselves in the conference, but this is the game for another Leatherneck to step up. If Western wants to take a step in the right direction within the conference, they cannot be a one dimensional team.

Junior wide receiver Zeke LeSure had his first touchdown of the season last week, and hopefully that will start him up for a great mid-season run. If Western can get LeSure and Acklin playing at a high level, their offense will be lethal.

This matchup should be a smooth victory for Western, which will bring the Leathernecks’ record to 5-1 on the season and bring the team to just one win shy of what they accomplished all last year. With a win tomorrow afternoon, Western will put themselves in a great position for a playoff run that was squandered last season.
I couldn't have written that better.
wiu712

From DMs to Ws: How Western's dynamic duo grew into potent playmakers.
From the Prairie State Pigskin:
www.chicagonow.com/prairie-state-pigski ... laymakers/

Preview of Saturday's game as seen on WGEM Sports.
www.wgem.com/story/36587588/2017/10/13/ ... down-bears
wiu712

Game Outlook from today's Peoria Journal-Star:

Western Illinois is at home for just the second time this season. All four wins for the Leathernecks have come on the road, including last week’s 38-29 win over UNI in which they scored two TDs in the final six seconds.

Of Missouri State’s four losses, three have been to nationally ranked teams and the other was at Missouri.

Western has a plus-11 turnover margin, the fourth-best mark in FCS. Leathernecks senior WR Jaelon Acklin leads the nation with 148.4 receiving yards per game.
sealhall74

Well, that was ugly. Looks like another nail-biter finish.
Embrace the pace of the race.
leatherneckcountry

This defense is just flat horrible without diggs Baldus is getting owned on the line looking at the scores looks like this could be the day of upsets in the Valley
WIU11DC

I am hoping we come out like we did in the second half against CCU and USD but blow the doors off like did against CCU.