WIU at North Dakota State (10/21/17)

huskie

tjbison wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:14 pm
huskie wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:39 pm
tjbison wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:03 pm hey all, looking forward to a good game with no injuries

should be fun, anyone making the trip up?
Any must go to restaurant/bars in downtown Fargo?
anything particular your looking for?
Beers, Burgers, and Steak, the three food groups.
huskie

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:21 pm
leatherneckcountry wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:48 pm There is still a lot of football to play and this is a big if but if we go up there and we keep it a one score game or within 10 and win out which is a possibility then I would think the possibility of being a playoff seed would be a possibility.
Exactly...going by the Massey ratings/predictions, this is the only game we're not favored at this point in the rest of the season. If we are able to play the games as predicted, then our only losses will be to NDSU (#1/#2 ranked depending on where you're looking, and likely undefeated) and South Dakota, which could easily finish 10-1 with their only loss being to NDSU. We'd end up at 9-2 overall. SDSU got a #8 seed last year at 8-3 overall (7-1 in the conference), so if that happens, then we'd have a definite shot at a seed, which means a first-round bye and second-round home game...which would be huge.

Still got 5 games to go though, and at this point last season we were also 5-1 getting ready to play NDSU...and we all know how the rest of the season played out.
Please don't talk playoffs. I don't want to jinx us like last year. Lets get a few more wins.

Go Leathernecks!!!
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

huskie wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:49 pm Please don't talk playoffs. I don't want to jinx us like last year. Lets get a few more wins.

Go Leathernecks!!!
Don't worry, I can fix this....

Hey, want to know something interesting?
Easton Stick hasn't thrown an interception all season....zero....none...zilch...no interceptions...through 6 games.
Not...a....single....one ;)
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
tjbison

huskie wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:44 pm
huskie wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:39 pm

Any must go to restaurant/bars in downtown Fargo?
Beer:

Wurst Bier Hall - wurstfargo.com/
Fargo Brewing Company - fargobrewing.com/
Drekker Brewing - drekkerbrewing.com/
Front Street Tap Room - frontstreettaproom.com/

Burgers
JL Beers - jlbeers.com/ (burgers and beers)
Sidestreet Grill and Pub - sidestreet-fargo.com/
Pounds - poundsfargo.com/

Steak
Mezzaluna - dinemezzaluna.com/
Rustica - dinerustica.com/ (this is on the Moorhead side of Downtown)
Ushers house - ushersevents.com/

one must visit IMO if your into spirits and kick butt Apps or small plate meals is the Distillery where they make, Whiskey, Gin, Vodka and other liquors, its one of my favorite places.

Proof Artisian Distillers - proofdistillers.com/

There are a bunch of other places also if you look at www.downtownfargo.com/ you can get walking maps etc. Weather is supposed to be nice but a little windy with the fronts moving thru, day highs in the 60-70's nights will get chilly. I suggest using Uber or Lyft to get around. Let me know if you want any other info as these places I listed are just Downtown
huskie

tjbison wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:41 pm
huskie wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:44 pm

Beer:

Wurst Bier Hall - wurstfargo.com/
Fargo Brewing Company - fargobrewing.com/
Drekker Brewing - drekkerbrewing.com/
Front Street Tap Room - frontstreettaproom.com/

Burgers
JL Beers - jlbeers.com/ (burgers and beers)
Sidestreet Grill and Pub - sidestreet-fargo.com/
Pounds - poundsfargo.com/

Steak
Mezzaluna - dinemezzaluna.com/
Rustica - dinerustica.com/ (this is on the Moorhead side of Downtown)
Ushers house - ushersevents.com/

one must visit IMO if your into spirits and kick butt Apps or small plate meals is the Distillery where they make, Whiskey, Gin, Vodka and other liquors, its one of my favorite places.

Proof Artisian Distillers - proofdistillers.com/

There are a bunch of other places also if you look at www.downtownfargo.com/ you can get walking maps etc. Weather is supposed to be nice but a little windy with the fronts moving thru, day highs in the 60-70's nights will get chilly. I suggest using Uber or Lyft to get around. Let me know if you want any other info as these places I listed are just Downtown
Thanks for all the info looking forward to the trip.
WIU11DC

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:37 pm
rocki wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:24 pm Agreed, Scott. I'm not expecting to pull one out here (if it should happen, what a great surprise for Leatherneck fans, right?), I just want to hang close with them. If we come out with a score like last year, I would consider it a good road trip - just don't want to get completely blown out by them.

But, as Coach Fisher said, "Why not us?" Go ahead, 'Necks - prove me wrong! This is one time I'd be glad to be incorrect. ;)
Yup, I almost look at this game like we usually look at a Big 10 or Big 12 FBS game. If we lose...that was pretty much expected..but there's a chance we could win. And if we do win...that would be huge for the program.
I disagree with this, they are not a BIGTEN team. They have the same scholarships as we do, they play in the same conference as us and we should strive to beat them every year. Honestly, I believe the recruits we offer every year look at how we play against NDSU, SDSU, or UNI every year not how badly we beat up on a CCU team. Half of our conference would beat CCU this year and by a couple touch downs too. We are not the flag ship program in the state like NDSU is, we don't have the facilities they have, but we shouldn't look at this game as a "hey if we win great but im not expecting x.yand z." because if we as a team, program, alumni think that we will always play second fiddle to them. Now, I have no issues with NDSU's program, and i cheer for them when they play anyone besides us but why can't we strive to be the next NDSU? We have the program history and if we had the funding like NDSU has we wouldn't be having this conversation but like everything in the great state of Illinois there isn't money for our football program. So, we have to beat them to keep pace with them in recruiting. Because I know as a fan I would love to have a program where we don't have to worry about reloading or waiting for our new guys to become seniors to be competitive. Okay, my rant is over with.

I think this season we have the defense, outside of mistakes and dumbass penalties to beat them. Our offense needs to be in full swing and play tough. I truly believe we can play with anyone in the FCS as long as we don't have mental mistakes.

My prediction WIU 34 NDSU 31.
leatherneckcountry

I believe that the game will be decided on our defense vs there run game so far we have done a pretty good job vs the run but this will be by far our biggest test.
leatherneckcountry

So it means very little with 5 games games left and I took it off USD board but an interesting read http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i ... 3481522204
sealhall74

LNC, I think you are 100% right about the key to the game being the running game. Over the past few years, almost all of their losses have been against teams who shut down their run game. That is their bread and butter. If you take that away, they get out of their comfort zone and have to chuck it up more and from that, bad things can and often do happen. Related to that, we must be able to move the ball on offense and limit our 3 and outs. This is a very winnable game but a lot of things have to work in our favor - handling the noise, limiting the penalties, etc. Most important, we need to be in the game until the 4th quarter. Anything else will be detrimental to our confidence going forward.

Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU11DC wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:19 am I disagree with this, they are not a BIGTEN team. They have the same scholarships as we do, they play in the same conference as us and we should strive to beat them every year. Honestly, I believe the recruits we offer every year look at how we play against NDSU, SDSU, or UNI every year not how badly we beat up on a CCU team. Half of our conference would beat CCU this year and by a couple touch downs too. We are not the flag ship program in the state like NDSU is, we don't have the facilities they have, but we shouldn't look at this game as a "hey if we win great but im not expecting x.yand z." because if we as a team, program, alumni think that we will always play second fiddle to them. Now, I have no issues with NDSU's program, and i cheer for them when they play anyone besides us but why can't we strive to be the next NDSU? We have the program history and if we had the funding like NDSU has we wouldn't be having this conversation but like everything in the great state of Illinois there isn't money for our football program. So, we have to beat them to keep pace with them in recruiting. Because I know as a fan I would love to have a program where we don't have to worry about reloading or waiting for our new guys to become seniors to be competitive. Okay, my rant is over with.

I think this season we have the defense, outside of mistakes and dumbass penalties to beat them. Our offense needs to be in full swing and play tough. I truly believe we can play with anyone in the FCS as long as we don't have mental mistakes.

My prediction WIU 34 NDSU 31.
I'm not saying we shouldn't play our hardest and try to win. I REALLY want to win this game...don't doubt that, and I'm sure the players will bring everything they have to try to win it...they think they can win this game, I'm 100% sure of that. I think we can win this game too, but I'm pretty sure it'll be our toughest regular-season game this year.

I guess what I meant was that based on where I thought we would be now and what games I thought we'd win and lose when looking at the schedule at the beginning of the year...this was a game I considered to be "gravy". My predictions so far in the season were that we'd beat TTU by 10 (we beat them by 27), beat NAU by 3 (won by 18), lose to CCU by 3 (we won by 42), beat USD by 3 (we lost by 5), beat UNI in a close one (I didn't specify score, but it was a close one, until the last couple of seconds), and beat MSU by 10 (won by 19, but like UNI, was actually a much closer game than the score indicates). My prediction for this one originally was about a 17-point loss, but I'm WAY more confident in our abilities now than I was at the beginning of the season, so I think it'll be a lot closer than that.

Obviously I want to win every game every year, but that's not how football works...not for NDSU...not for Alabama...not for anyone. There's always going to be a favored team and an underdog, and while upsets do happen, I'd bet that the majority of games end up playing out with the favored team winning.

Also, in reference to your question back at the start of the season about the best records we've ever had:
Obviously, the "gold standard" is the 1959 undefeated team, but in the I-AA/FCS era, we've had 3 11-win seasons (includes playoff games). Our best years in I-AA/FCS are:
1997 - 11-2 overall, 10-1 in regular season (6-0 in conference), 1-1 in playoffs.
2002 - 11-2 overall, 10-1 in regular season (5-1 in conference), 1-1 in playoffs.
1998 - 11-3 overall, 9-2 in regular season (5-1 in conference), 2-1 in playoffs.
1988 - 10-2 overall, 10-1 in regular season (6-0 in conference), 0-1 in playoffs.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000