WIU at North Dakota State (10/21/17)

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Image AT Image

Game Time: 2:30PM Central, 10/21/2017
Weather: (doesn't really matter, is in a dome, but in case you're going to the game)
ImageImage

TV: ESPN3/WatchESPN.com
Radio: Announcers (Scott Kornberg, Dr. Tom Cody) - Beardstown - WRMS (94.3 FM); Macomb - WJEQ (102.7 FM); Galesburg - WAIK (1590 AM); Quincy - WPWQ (106.7 FM); Clinton, Iowa - (KCLN 1390 AM)
Internet: wrmsfm.com or Tune-In Radio App (Google store and iTunes)
Live Stats: http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=178537
Game Notes: Western Illinois | North Dakota State

A bit about North Dakota State
NDSU is 6-0 this season, playing an easier OOC schedule than they usually match up with, and then destroying Missouri State and Indiana State, and finally being tested at then #8 ranked Youngstown State, but eventually coming away with a 27-24 OT win.
The Bison are currently (statistically) the #1 team in the FCS in: Passing Defense (109.8 ypg), Scoring Defense (9.2 ppg), Scoring Offense (47.5 ppg), Total Defense (188.8 ypg) as well as #2 in Rushing Offense (312.2 ypg), #3 in Turnover Margin (+2 per game) #5 in Time of Possession (34:25) and Total Offense (490.0 ypg), and #8 in Rushing Defense (79.0 ypg).
Full NDSU stats for 2017

NDSU Players to Watch:
Can I just say..."all" here?...like...all the players?
  • RB Lance Dunn - averaging just over 100 ypg (and 9 yards per carry) and has 12 TDs
  • RB Bruce Anderson - #2 RB that averages more than many teams #1 RB, 77.8 ypg and 3 TDs
  • WR RJ Urzendowski - doesn't actually lead the team in receiving yards, but has 5 receiving TDs including an insane catch last week against YSU
  • QB Easton Stick - dual-threat QB that averages 152.2 ypg and 12 TDs through the air and 44 ypg and 3 TDs on the ground. Stick has not thrown an interception all season.
  • LBs Nick DeLuca, Levi Jordheim, and Jabril Cox - All have 28 tackles (despite DeLuca missing a couple of games due to injury) and 3+ tackles for loss. Jorheim and Cox each have 2 sacks and a forced fumble.
  • The rest of the defense...honestly, they're the best defense in the FCS right now. They've got big names at all positions.
Series History
Western has played North Dakota State 8 times. NDSU holds the series lead, 6-2. Last year's meeting was a close 21-13 loss at Hanson Field. Western is actually 2-1 at the FargoDome in the two teams histories.

Predictions
Massey - 35-24, NDSU Victory
Compughterratings.com - 37-28,NDSU win
Sagarin (calculation, doesn't round) - 34.32 to 25.41, NDSU win

Rankings
Sagarin (out of all 254 DI teams) - WIU 82, NDSU 43
STATS Top 25 - WIU 10, NDSU 2
Massey Composite - WIU 4, NDSU 2
AGS Poll - WIU 7, NDSU 2

My Take
This will be our toughest game of the year...probably tougher than the game against South Dakota. Their QB isn't quite as good as Streveler, but they have a better set of RBs to go with him. They can hand off and pound the ball or Stick can hold onto it and move the chains himself. Their defense is the best in the FCS, especially now that LB Nick DeLuca is back from an injury. If we want to have success, it's likely going to rest in the hands of the passing game and not just Acklin. If we only target one player, they will be able to shut that down. We will need to get some TE's in on the action, as well as probably McShane (who is a decent receiver for a RB). We really need to be "on point" in all phases of the game and not make dumb mistakes (like taking a kickoff at the 2 that was going out of bounds anyway 😠).

Common Opponents
Obviously doesn't have any actual bearing on how the teams will play, but it's interesting to look at sometimes.
Missouri State - NDSU won in Fargo, 38-11. WIU won in Macomb, 49-30.

Prediction:
Again...mistakes will kill us. We can't let them get ahead early and try to come back to win it. We've got to put points on the board at the beginning and keep it a close game. I hesitate to make an actual score prediction here because I know that we're not favored. I do think we match up well for the most part, and outside of two years ago, we have done well at the FargoDome in our history. We have a better team than we did last year, and last year, we lost by 8. My hope is for a win of course, but I'd like to see us keep it closer than last year's margin at least.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

Six MVFC teams are ranked in both top-25 polls.

According to the Sagarin Rankings, the MVFC is not only the top-rated FCS conference, but also rates ahead of a number of FBS leagues, including the Mountain West (West Division), Conference USA (both divisions), the Mid-American (East Division), and the Sun Belt.
rocki

Agreed, Scott. I'm not expecting to pull one out here (if it should happen, what a great surprise for Leatherneck fans, right?), I just want to hang close with them. If we come out with a score like last year, I would consider it a good road trip - just don't want to get completely blown out by them.

But, as Coach Fisher said, "Why not us?" Go ahead, 'Necks - prove me wrong! This is one time I'd be glad to be incorrect. ;)
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

rocki wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:24 pm Agreed, Scott. I'm not expecting to pull one out here (if it should happen, what a great surprise for Leatherneck fans, right?), I just want to hang close with them. If we come out with a score like last year, I would consider it a good road trip - just don't want to get completely blown out by them.

But, as Coach Fisher said, "Why not us?" Go ahead, 'Necks - prove me wrong! This is one time I'd be glad to be incorrect. ;)
Yup, I almost look at this game like we usually look at a Big 10 or Big 12 FBS game. If we lose...that was pretty much expected..but there's a chance we could win. And if we do win...that would be huge for the program.
leatherneckcountry

There is still a lot of football to play and this is a big if but if we go up there and we keep it a one score game or within 10 and win out which is a possibility then I would think the possibility of being a playoff seed would be a possibility.
tjbison

hey all, looking forward to a good game with no injuries

should be fun, anyone making the trip up?
rocki

Not me. Maybe someday.

Best of luck to the Bison (we really do know how good you guys are, not gonna be much smack talk here), and prayers that everyone stays healthy!!!!

Looking forward to watching it Saturday.

Enjoy the game, and if it won't get you killed, throw in an occasional "Go 'Necks" for me. :lol:
huskie

tjbison wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:03 pm hey all, looking forward to a good game with no injuries

Any must go to restaurant/bars in downtown Fargo?
tjbison

huskie wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:39 pm
tjbison wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:03 pm hey all, looking forward to a good game with no injuries

Any must go to restaurant/bars in downtown Fargo?
anything particular your looking for?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:48 pm There is still a lot of football to play and this is a big if but if we go up there and we keep it a one score game or within 10 and win out which is a possibility then I would think the possibility of being a playoff seed would be a possibility.
Exactly...going by the Massey ratings/predictions, this is the only game we're not favored at this point in the rest of the season. If we are able to play the games as predicted, then our only losses will be to NDSU (#1/#2 ranked depending on where you're looking, and likely undefeated) and South Dakota, which could easily finish 10-1 with their only loss being to NDSU. We'd end up at 9-2 overall. SDSU got a #8 seed last year at 8-3 overall (7-1 in the conference), so if that happens, then we'd have a definite shot at a seed, which means a first-round bye and second-round home game...which would be huge.

Still got 5 games to go though, and at this point last season we were also 5-1 getting ready to play NDSU...and we all know how the rest of the season played out.