WIU at North Dakota State (10/21/17)

rocki

Lakesbison wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:02 am Dammit Leatherneck fans!! all these years I've been coming to your boards, and i've never once had to worry about your football team....

haha. Its gonna be a physical game, cant wait to go! if any of you make the trip, PM me, I got you hooked up for tailgating.

NDSU totally screwed up the youngstown game last week, bad coaching, horrible clock management, else its 21-7 NDSU after 1st drive in 2nd half.

serious question. did Neilson leave the cupboards full for your guys? or are you giving props to your new coach for the resurgence??
My take on it? A lot of the guys were recruited by Neilson, but I never felt he got the full potential out of them. Not last year, but the year before (when we did get the 6-5 playoff bid) I thought we gave away a lot of games that we should have won - mostly by just totally shutting down in the late 3rd and 4th quarters. I haven't watched a lot of the Yotes games this year, so don't know how tough their schedule has been, but did notice the same type of letdown on their side when we played them.

I don't know either coach personally, but just from the outreach to the community and alumni, I think Fisher is head and shoulders above Neilson. Just my opinion. The team seems to relate really well to him, too - they just seem more positive in their attitudes (from things they say in interviews and the like).

It will be a physical game - hope all the players come out unscathed - and if we come out and play from the beginning of the game to the last horn, we do have a fighting chance. We can't count on coming back from behind against you guys, though - and we know it.

Best of luck to the Bison, looking forward to a heck of a game!!
wiu712

Big challenge, big opportunity for WIU at NDSU.

From today's McDonough County Voice:
http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/20 ... iu-at-ndsu
LeatherCy

One thing NDSU has going is the Cost of Attendance "stipend" they have for EVERY athlete. Two years ago Gary Rima, UNI Voice of the Panthers on his daily call in show read a press release from the Bison. EVERY athlete was going to receive $3,500 annually for the next three years I believe. Three alumni who cashed in on the oil boom in ND were funding the entire three years. This was new and legal by the NCAA. I talked to Matt and Michael about how on earth can we compete with something like this let alone the state of IL being broke.

Another note I see Lance Dunn is their top RB. Dunn is from Waterloo West, Matt Entz's alma mater. Coach Nielson and Enltz made home visits to Dunn and Blake Thomas also from West. Dunn turned down WIU and UNI for NDSU while Thomas stayed home and is playing LB and special teams at UNI
tjbison

LeatherCy wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:07 am One thing NDSU has going is the Cost of Attendance "stipend" they have for EVERY athlete. Two years ago Gary Rima, UNI Voice of the Panthers on his daily call in show read a press release from the Bison. EVERY athlete was going to receive $3,500 annually for the next three years I believe. Three alumni who cashed in on the oil boom in ND were funding the entire three years. This was new and legal by the NCAA. I talked to Matt and Michael about how on earth can we compete with something like this let alone the state of IL being broke.

Another note I see Lance Dunn is their top RB. Dunn is from Waterloo West, Matt Entz's alma mater. Coach Nielson and Enltz made home visits to Dunn and Blake Thomas also from West. Dunn turned down WIU and UNI for NDSU while Thomas stayed home and is playing LB and special teams at UNI
FCOA at NDSU has nothing to do with said Oil Boom, and it's for all athletes not just FB, every scholarship athlete at NDSU gets it.

The Oil Boom did not fund nor does fund NDSU, Fargo is a booming city and many of the Alum have zero mineral rights in Western ND, I love when people from other schools try to use that as a reason. We have had since the 60's a dedicated fanbase
wiu712

On The Sidelines: WIU looks for statement win at NDSU.

From WGEM-TV Sports with Sean Barie:
http://www.wgem.com/story/36641061/2017 ... in-at-ndsu
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Interview with Brian McLaughlin (Hero Sports) and Sean McGuire (starts around 21 minutes in).

[youtube][/youtube]
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

The trip to Fargo:

Burlington Trailways Bus to the Quad Cities Airport in Moline.

Then a Swift Air flight to Fargo. The plane left Moline at 3:09 PM and landed in Fargo at 4:18 PM.
wiu712

Leathernecks ready for challenge of North Dakota State.

From today's McDonough County Voice:
http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/20 ... kota-state
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

A field goal each and we're tied 3-3 in the first quarter.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000