WIU vs South Dakota State (10/28/17)

sealhall74

LocalYokelFan wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:20 am
leatherneckcountry wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:12 pm
ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:58 pm

I was thinking the same thing. Seems like we didn't really open up the playbook all that much. I don't know if it would have made a huge difference, since the Bison defense seemed to just have our number most of the second half, but we might have gotten a few more points out of it. Once we get our ground game established against SDSU (shouldn't be too hard with their weakness against the run), we can start airing things out every now and then and bring back the jet sweeps and stuff.
Not sure it would have matter with the way are line played not sure if we changed blocking scheme or what but 2 of are lineman have been getting owned lately. Seemed liked Cox a former WIU commit was all over the field.
Exactly my opinion too. Tough to run jet sweeps and stuff on the edge when NDSUs DEs are 2 yards up-field the moment the ball is snapped. NDSU is really good on the defensive side of the ball. It's tough to get creative on offensive when the defense can provide the amount of QB pressure they can.

I'm very interested in these next two games. I think we have to win one of them. You can't lose both and be playing tight against ISUb and SUI like we did last year. I look forward to the offensive (particularly the o-line) having a much better outing Saturday. The defense just needs to get a little bit better and more consistent like I think they have been all year. I'll say this one is close and lower scoring because of the weather 27-24 'Necks.
Against a quick aggressive D like they had, a FAKE jet sweep becomes a diversionary tactic to buy the QB an extra second or two or a RB to run a "counter trey" type play.
Embrace the pace of the race.
LocalYokelFan

sealhall74 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:03 am
LocalYokelFan wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:20 am
leatherneckcountry wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:12 pm

Not sure it would have matter with the way are line played not sure if we changed blocking scheme or what but 2 of are lineman have been getting owned lately. Seemed liked Cox a former WIU commit was all over the field.
Exactly my opinion too. Tough to run jet sweeps and stuff on the edge when NDSUs DEs are 2 yards up-field the moment the ball is snapped. NDSU is really good on the defensive side of the ball. It's tough to get creative on offensive when the defense can provide the amount of QB pressure they can.

I'm very interested in these next two games. I think we have to win one of them. You can't lose both and be playing tight against ISUb and SUI like we did last year. I look forward to the offensive (particularly the o-line) having a much better outing Saturday. The defense just needs to get a little bit better and more consistent like I think they have been all year. I'll say this one is close and lower scoring because of the weather 27-24 'Necks.
Against a quick aggressive D like they had, a FAKE jet sweep becomes a diversionary tactic to buy the QB an extra second or two or a RB to run a "counter trey" type play.
They tried everything, I saw the motion / counter action at least a few times, didn't work. 23 rushing attempts, 31 yards; 5 sacks for 25 yards. There's no play calling that gets you around that. There horses were better than ours up front (our O vs. their D) and it was the difference in the game.
rocki

Talking about the run game, I know it's been said Joe Turk is out this year with a medical problem which I think has been more of an impact that they thought it might be. Anyone know why Victavious Johnson isn't being used more? Is he not progressing as fast as they had hoped, or is there some other problem? I was hoping that with the redshirt year, he'd be a factor in the rb corps as well.
Western_101

The "Catch 22" of the MVFC is you have to do unspeakable things to your brother (brother being conference mate) to come out on the upside.

I get that no one gives a shit about FCS as no one gives a shit about Sunbelt. By the way App. State, Georgia Southern, Coastal Carolina. You matter equally to most people, which is not at all but, due to throbbing egos and a directive to spend 3 times more for athletics you have an FBS Moniker for your alumni. Will the alumni still be enthralled after 5 consecutive losing seasons?

NDSU year in and year out is probably in the top 30 of all college football programs.

The MVFC as a whole is superior to the G-5 save for 4 or 5 schools.

If Perception is reality, try this on for my take, any school that joins the Sunbelt is not doing it because they are 1.) The Sunbelts' first choice.... or 2.) Well even though I know it's the worst FBS(read Morgan Freeman) at least I'm FBS.

Sad. Lots of Sunbelt programs that could still be in the conversation today about playoffs and prestige.

Look, I didn't get accepted into Univerity of Michigan. Far too many wanna bees trying to make their institution either something it's not or something that it is illl positioned to be.
Western_101

Edit Post due to content.
Western_101

ST_Lawson

Thank you for being, engaged yet impartial, optimistic yet no homer.

FCS is a Huge NFL incubator. Sometimes, it just happens.

Look at our own lives, how cute if someone were to predict my own wretchid life.
wiu712

After tough loss, WIU moves forward to game vs. South Dakota State.

From today's McDonough County Voice:
http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/20 ... kota-state
wiu712

Western Illinois shifts focus to Jackrabbits.

From tonight's WGEM Sports:
http://www.wgem.com/story/36696905/2017 ... ackrabbits
wiu712

Game Day Forecast from The Weather Channel:
Cloudy.
High = 43.
UV Index: 2 of 10.
Winds: WNW at 13 mph.
0% chance of rain.
sealhall74

Wind out of the north, temp in the 40s, if that is not hot toddy weather, I dont know what is. On the subject of hot toddies, they have a pretty good fight/cheer song down south related to it:

Hotty Toddy starts with the simple question - "Are you ready?"

The crowd responds:

Hell yes!
Damn Right!
Hotty Toddy, Gosh almighty
Who the hell are we?
Hey!
Flim Flam, Bim Bam
Ole Miss, By Damn!
Are you ready?
Hell yes!
Damn Right!
Hotty Toddy, Gosh almighty
Who the hell are we?
Hey!
Flim Flam, Bim Bam
Ole Miss, By Damn!

[youtube][/youtube]

You hate to be a copy cat, but you gotta have something to get the fans in their seats before kickoff.
Embrace the pace of the race.