Western_101

So with out any research:

Top 5 WIU QB all time

1.McGuire, McSmoothie,McNugget, McMe stupid :lol:
2.Michna
3.Barr
4.LaFalce
5------------------------------

I think that this is kinda a knee jerk thing. Who is for real top 5 ever? I lose track
Last edited by Western_101 on Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Neckfansince71

How about Steve Mikez or Bob Majka? Two QB's from my past! ;) jc
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Redneck, did you mean Sean McGuire for #1? Steve Mcshane is a solid RB, but I wouldn't call him the best QB in WIU history

I'd also think that Jeff Hecklinski would be in the conversation too. Not huge numbers, but very efficient and we were pretty successful when he was qb too.

My personal view is that Barr had probably the best single season of any qb, but Michna was a little better overall across his career. McGuire is getting pretty close to those guys, but I'd prefer to wait until he's done with his career to see if he's the best we've ever had...so we can really decide if he's really good but with phenomenal recievers or if he really is the GOAT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

Paul Singer would have to somewhere in the discussion.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:43 am Paul Singer would have to somewhere in the discussion.
Agreed. He put up some crazy numbers in his time. I was mostly just commenting on guys I actually saw play. I never saw Singer, so all I have to go on is his stats.
leatherface

This is really a no win type of "survey". Everyone in a certain era at Western will say their QB was the best. Offenses have changed, defenses have changed, number of games has changed, how they are graded has changed etc. etc. Maybe best to just talk about some of the QB's in Western's history folks saw play. ;)
Necks2003

Sam Clemons was fun to watch as well
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Some lists, for those who are curious:

QBs who were named First-Team All-Conference:
Paul Singer - 1988
Donny Simmons - 1992
Rob St. Sauver - 1994
Jeff Hecklinski - 1997
Sam Clemons - 2001
Russ Michna - 2002, 2003
Matt Barr - 2010

Career Yards List:
1. Paul Singer
2. Trenton Norvell
3. Matt Barr
4. Steve LaFalce
5. Russ Michna
6. Jeff Hecklinski
7. Sean McGuire (to date)
8. Bob Majka
9. Rob St. Sauver
10. Sam Clemons

Career Yards Per Game:
1. Trenton Norvell
2. Sean McGuire
3. Sam Clemons
4. Paul Singer
5. Rob. St. Sauver
6. Matt Barr
7. Jeff Hecklinski
8. Russ Michna
9. Bob Majka
10. Donny Simmons

Career TDs:
1. Paul Singer
2. Trenton Norvell
3. Matt Barr
4. Russ Michna
5. Steve LaFalce
6T. Bob Majka
6T. Sean McGuire
8. Donny Simmons
9. Steve Mikez
10. Sam Clemons

I'll get you some more later, but it's a start.
Neckfansince71

Lee Russell just so happen to student teach in my department a number of years ago. He was a chem major and I had no trouble finding a teacher to work with him. Because it was on short notice, I felt like I was doing my alma mater a bit of a favor so I called in Lee into the office at the end of his preliminary visit and told him point blake, "if you want this to work, you will spend an hour each Friday with me at the end of school talking Leatherneck football. I had a large picture of the WIU campus on my wall along with a pic of Hanson Field on my desk. One afternoon we were talking about offense and I asked Lee whether Matt Barr was the real deal. His answer was to the point! Absolutely the real deal! Just thought I would throw that in to the mix. It was really fun having Lee in my department. He was and is a class act all the way! ;) jc
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Neckfansince71 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:06 pm Lee Russell just so happen to student teach in my department a number of years ago. He was a chem major and I had no trouble finding a teacher to work with him. Because it was on short notice, I felt like I was doing my alma mater a bit of a favor so I called in Lee into the office at the end of his preliminary visit and told him point blake, "if you want this to work, you will spend an hour each Friday with me at the end of school talking Leatherneck football. I had a large picture of the WIU campus on my wall along with a pic of Hanson Field on my desk. One afternoon we were talking about offense and I asked Lee whether Matt Barr was the real deal. His answer was to the point! Absolutely the real deal! Just thought I would throw that in to the mix. It was really fun having Lee in my department. He was and is a class act all the way! ;) jc
Yea, I always thought of Barr as definitely in the top 3 of WIU QBs of all time. I was surprised that he never tried to play in one of the pro leagues, then again, he probably didn't have a great shot at the NFL...maybe as a backup/practice squad player (QB is REALLY hard to break into at the NFL level if you didn't play the right type of offense and you're not exactly the right type/size of player). Really though, he was also incredibly smart (even smarter than most QBs) as evidenced by him winning the Lincoln Laureate award one year, so maybe he decided he'd be better off going into the business world or whatever and saving himself the possible brain damage.