WIU at Illinois State (11/4/17)

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Image AT Image

Game Time: 12:00 PM (Noon) Central, 11/4/2017
Weather:
ImageImage

TV: ESPN3/WatchESPN.com
Radio: Announcers (Scott Kornberg, Dr. Tom Cody) - Beardstown - WRMS (94.3 FM); Macomb - WJEQ (102.7 FM); Galesburg - WAIK (1590 AM); Quincy - WPWQ (106.7 FM); Clinton, Iowa - (KCLN 1390 AM)
Internet: wrmsfm.com or Tune-In Radio App (Google store and iTunes)
Live Stats: http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=186350
Game Notes: Western Illinois

A bit about Illinois State
ISU is currently sitting on a 6-2 record, 4-1 in the MVFC. They won their first three games (Butler, @EIU, Missouri State) in dominating fashion, before getting somewhat tested against Indiana State. They then went out to Northern Arizona and got steamrolled, then went to Southern Illinois and got beat even worse (42-7). At this point, it looked like ISU would be out of the playoffs, but then busted out two huge wins, handing South Dakota their first loss, 37-21, and then blanking Youngstown State 35-0 last weekend. After this next weekend, they face
Offensively, the Redbirds are averaging 30.3 ppg (34th in FCS), putting up 200 ypg on the ground (25th) and 225.6 ypg through the air (39th) for a total of 425.5 ypg of offense (29th in FCS). On the other side of the ball, they're giving up 16.9 ppg (10th), 77.3 ypg on the ground (5th) and 216.1 ypg in passing (60th). They are 7th best in the FCS with a 33:30 TOP average and 9th at getting sacks on opposing QBs (3.25/game).
Their full stats through the YSU game haven't been posted yet, but the NCAA has their rankings and stuff available.

ISU Players to Watch:
  • RB James Robinson - 85.1 ypg and 9 TDs including a 117 yard, 3 TD performance against YSU last weekend.
  • RB Markel Smith - 62 ypg and 4 TDs. Had 124 yards and 1 TD against YSU.
  • WR Spencer Schnell - 80.1 receiving yards per game and 4 TDs. Busted out 191 yards and 2 TDs in the win over USD two weeks ago.
  • DL Dalton Keene - 1.3 tackles for loss per game (0.75 sacks per game), 2 funbles recovered
  • DB Davontae Harris - 1.1 passes defended per game
Series History
Much...much history.
Specifically, this will be the 100th meeting between the Leathernecks and Redbirds going back to 1904, with WIU holding the series lead 50-46-3. The two teams have played each other every year back to 1923 except 1973 when there was an odd schedule due to changes in conference/division affiliation, and played each other twice in 2015 (regular season and playoffs). The Redbirds have won the last 7 meetings between the teams, with last year's matchup being a 31-26 where ISU got ahead early and stayed just enough ahead to win.

Predictions
Massey - 27-24, ISU Victory
Compughterratings.com - 27-26, WIU win
Sagarin (calculation, doesn't round) - 24.09 to 23.87 ISU win

Rankings
Sagarin (out of all 254 DI teams) - WIU 88, ISU 92
STATS Top 25 - WIU 15, ISU 12
Massey Composite - WIU 9, ISU 7
AGS Poll - WIU 16, ISU 13

Common Opponents

My Take
Unlike SDSU, ISU does not have a couple of receivers who will be in the NFL next year. They do have decent receivers, but their offense isn't really on the level of SDSU. They rely primarily on their run game, which I think bodes well for our chances. The Redbird defense is pretty good against the run, so we'll need to really get our passing game going this week. Overall, I think the two teams are pretty evenly matched. Neither of us are "top of the conference" this year, but we're both what I'd call "above average". Should be a close fight with the winner determined by one or two big plays.

Prediction:
I think we fight back from being down early and win by 6.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
letsgonecks

Like we saw last year down the stretch, I bet we see the remaining teams air it out and make us either get pressure or make plays down the field. Even ISUr who is more of a run first.

The plus going forward is the QB's won't be as mobile as both Stick and Christion. Both avoided some sacks on key plays and made things happen with their feet. The D has faltered a bit, but think they can rebound and avoid the same outcome as last year. Think they're better than last.

Speaking of airing it out.......lets try that. I know coaches philosophy is run first, but lets push the ball down field and get as many big plays and points as possible. Let's not play it safe, lets finish the year assuming we can score or make the play when needed.

4th and short in the middle of the field, lets go for it as the punter hasn't shown lately he can pin anyone inside the 10 on short kicks.

Other team is first and goal towards the end of the half, lets burn a timeout to conserver time or use the TO's when we have the ball with a minute and 2 timeouts left. Don't be happy with a lead or a tie and the ball after half. Would SDSU have tried to move the ball to get points? Would NDSU? The answer is yes.

WIU 38 - ISU 31
wiu712

This game is a sell-out (13,391).

Illinois State is selling standing-room in the endzones.
daveard

Would like to see a 3 game winning streak and not sweat making playoffs.Need another quality MVFC win other than Northern Iowa. Have been competitive in recent games against redbirds just lacked big play at crucial moments to get the win.
LocalYokelFan

Excited for this one to get started. Should be an electric atmosphere in BloNo this weekend; certainly glad we got our tickets a few weeks ago. If you're a player (or fan) and can't get up for this one, you chose the wrong school and sport.

Anticipating Coach Fish to have them ready to play with bad short term memories of recent losses. I just hope we re-discover that nasty brand of football we were excelling at early in the year. 4, 5 yards and a cloud of dust. McGuire keeping them honest all over the field. The defense getting pressure from the line and letting the Taylor and Moon swoop in for the kill. I know the XDSUs had some skill players that did things against us the past 2 weeks, but we have gotten bullied up front in each game too - on both sides of the ball.

Looking for a big day from the big guys Saturday. Coach Fish's job becomes easy if those guys show up and dominate. Like Captain Taylor says, "Hippo up" and kick some I Screwed Up Deadbirds arst...
wiu712

Leathernecks look for answers during tough stretch.

From today's McDonough County Voice:
http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/20 ... gh-stretch
meganeck

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:11 pm Image AT Image

Game Time: 10:00 PM Central, 11/4/2017
Weather:
ImageImage

TV: ESPN3/WatchESPN.com
Radio: Announcers (Scott Kornberg, Dr. Tom Cody) - Beardstown - WRMS (94.3 FM); Macomb - WJEQ (102.7 FM); Galesburg - WAIK (1590 AM); Quincy - WPWQ (106.7 FM); Clinton, Iowa - (KCLN 1390 AM)
Internet: wrmsfm.com or Tune-In Radio App (Google store and iTunes)
Live Stats: http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=186350
Game Notes: Western Illinois

A bit about Illinois State
ISU is currently sitting on a 6-2 record, 4-1 in the MVFC. They won their first three games (Butler, @EIU, Missouri State) in dominating fashion, before getting somewhat tested against Indiana State. They then went out to Northern Arizona and got steamrolled, then went to Southern Illinois and got beat even worse (42-7). At this point, it looked like ISU would be out of the playoffs, but then busted out two huge wins, handing South Dakota their first loss, 37-21, and then blanking Youngstown State 35-0 last weekend. After this next weekend, they face
Offensively, the Redbirds are averaging 30.3 ppg (34th in FCS), putting up 200 ypg on the ground (25th) and 225.6 ypg through the air (39th) for a total of 425.5 ypg of offense (29th in FCS). On the other side of the ball, they're giving up 16.9 ppg (10th), 77.3 ypg on the ground (5th) and 216.1 ypg in passing (60th). They are 7th best in the FCS with a 33:30 TOP average and 9th at getting sacks on opposing QBs (3.25/game).
Their full stats through the YSU game haven't been posted yet, but the NCAA has their rankings and stuff available.

ISU Players to Watch:
  • RB James Robinson - 85.1 ypg and 9 TDs including a 117 yard, 3 TD performance against YSU last weekend.
  • RB Markel Smith - 62 ypg and 4 TDs. Had 124 yards and 1 TD against YSU.
  • WR Spencer Schnell - 80.1 receiving yards per game and 4 TDs. Busted out 191 yards and 2 TDs in the win over USD two weeks ago.
  • DL Dalton Keene - 1.3 tackles for loss per game (0.75 sacks per game), 2 funbles recovered
  • DB Davontae Harris - 1.1 passes defended per game
Series History
Much...much history.
Specifically, this will be the 100th meeting between the Leathernecks and Redbirds going back to 1904, with WIU holding the series lead 50-46-3. The two teams have played each other every year back to 1923 except 1973 when there was an odd schedule due to changes in conference/division affiliation, and played each other twice in 2015 (regular season and playoffs). The Redbirds have won the last 7 meetings between the teams, with last year's matchup being a 31-26 where ISU got ahead early and stayed just enough ahead to win.

Predictions
Massey - 27-24, ISU Victory
Compughterratings.com - 27-26, WIU win
Sagarin (calculation, doesn't round) - 24.09 to 23.87 ISU win

Rankings
Sagarin (out of all 254 DI teams) - WIU 88, ISU 92
STATS Top 25 - WIU 15, ISU 12
Massey Composite - WIU 9, ISU 7
AGS Poll - WIU 16, ISU 13

Common Opponents

My Take
Unlike SDSU, ISU does not have a couple of receivers who will be in the NFL next year. They do have decent receivers, but their offense isn't really on the level of SDSU. They rely primarily on their run game, which I think bodes well for our chances. The Redbird defense is pretty good against the run, so we'll need to really get our passing game going this week. Overall, I think the two teams are pretty evenly matched. Neither of us are "top of the conference" this year, but we're both what I'd call "above average". Should be a close fight with the winner determined by one or two big plays.

Prediction:
I think we fight back from being down early and win by 6.
Are they trying something new starting the game at 10 o'clock at night... lol. I assume it is supposed to be 1pm
LocalYokelFan

Kickoff is NOON actually - come at 1 PM and your seat might be taken by the overflow crowd!
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

meganeck wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:32 am Are they trying something new starting the game at 10 o'clock at night... lol. I assume it is supposed to be 1pm
Like yokel said, game is at noon. My finger must have slipped typing it and I hit 0 instead of 2. 12 PM...noon.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

It took a couple hours of hacking to get these things working after not using them for a year or two. Based on conference only stats, the Birds have a little more surface area in the radar chart, so I think advantage goes to them. Also called a spider chart and would have been appropriate yesterday. I am usually a day late and dollar short in most things.

Embrace the pace of the race.