WIU at Illinois State (11/4/17)

rocki

RedNeck wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:52 pm
LocalYokelFan wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:53 pm Makes me cringe when I hear you all talk playoffs and seeding when we're playing our worst football of the year right before the biggest game of the year. Herm Edwards would be going ape on you all! How about we show signs of being a decent football team again and then talk playoffs when we secure AT LEAST a seventh win? So far, the last few weeks just feel like 2016.
This.

Indeed this.
Lighten up, Francis. We're not betting your life savings or your soul on anything....optimism can be fun - try it. ;)
wiu712

ISU, Western meet in battle of ranked teams.
From the Bloomington Pantagraph:
http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/colleg ... e94fa.html
sealhall74

Alright guys, need to get off to good start in this one to keep their crowd sitting on their hands and to keep those self-doubt demons in check.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Is Norris not playing today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Neckerchief

ISU wins the first half 14-0. WIU wins the second half 31-0!! Coach Fisher sure got the team fired up at halftime.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
LocalYokelFan

A few quick postgame thoughts from BloNo - what a 2nd half! McGuire played inspired football and fired up the offensive unit. Would have loved to been in that halftime lockeroom. The defense plays so much better when Saunders plays well, and 99 had a heck of a 2nd half.

For a sellout crowd, the East reserved seats looked awfully bare... Maybe 70% full? Looked like a few empty boxes up top too.

Great 2nd half effort, great win. Congrats Necks, let's keep it rolling now!
Neckfansince71

Statistically in the first half, ISU had our Necks by the proverbial "jock!" Add to that a couple of very "dumb" penalties and this game had all the makings of another ISU butt kicking of our men in purple. I really didn't think everyone came out of the locker room with a lot of energy either but boy did they prove me wrong. We won the second half because our offensive and defensive lines kicked ass while we cut down the "shoot me in the foot" penalties. ISU just seemed to lose all their 1st half confidence. Why they tried a fake punt at that point of the ball game is beyond me, but I am not getting paid the big bucks. There were some pretty loud ISU fans infant of us celebrating every first down in the first half. And then, on of the players fathers started yelling, "another Leatherneck".....and a ton of us answered "first down!" They got really quiet as the tidal wave turned and left with about 7 minutes to go with the rest of the Redbird faithful.

I would agree that the east side was about 66-70% full, although, both ISU and Neck fans were pushed into the westside stands along with the band. There were people sitting in the north end zone but it was not the sell out it was billed to be or if it was, then they were not counting "butts" in the seats. You know it rained all the way down from the west suburbs and we left at 8:15. Great crowd at the alumni tent, good food and bloody Mary's to boot. By the time we got to Normal, the rain had stopped although I think it may have drizzled a bit off and on during the game, but nothing substantial and it was minimal at best.

I don't have any idea what Coach Fisher said to them at halftime. I think I would have allowed Taylor and Mcguire to talk first, and then I would think Coach had some thoughtful words like, stay under control, and go kick their ass. The Necks delivered some big hits the second half. Actually knocked a player unconscious on the kickoff recovered fumble that pretty much put the game away. With 9:56 to go, not 9:59 to go, I thought ISU had a chance but we slammed the door on them with 3 straight plays either for a loss or no gain. The clock really raced by as it got with 5 minutes to the end. Even though the McShane romp got called back because of a holding call, it still took time off the clock which proved to be our ally and the Birds enemy at the end. The Leathernecks just demolished the Redbirds the second half. Enough said! ;) jc
Western_101

I turned off the TV after we accrued 100 yards in penalties and ISU went up 14-0. So I went for a three hour walk, then to Carters, and Gordmans and a place called UCF in Peoaria. Got my Dad a JK Williams bourban (distilled in small batches in East Peoria, smoothest I've ever had, although Ive never paid more than $60 for a 1/5) Anyway, I figured I had to face the music, WIU 31 ISU 14? Umm, so I guess I'll be watching the replay.

What do people think attendance was (buts in seats) I'm guessing about 8,000.
Western_101

BTW good post NFs71.