WIU at Illinois State (11/4/17)

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Neckfansince71 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:16 pm So ST, I know you are pretty popular on the Redbirds Forum too, could you ask them about the 2/3's full eastside while they were selling north end zone lawn tickets to Redbird parents and to WIU fans. Yes, the west side was sold out which included the band section, but how about the eastside? ;) jc
Actually, I don't even need to ask. The empty seats on the east side were mostly due to season ticket holders who decided not to go to the game due to weather or other things going on. I know that four of the area high schools in/around Normal are in the playoffs and had games that weekend too that could have interfered. But from what I heard from my Redbird fan friends, like most schools, there's a decent number of donors/season ticket holders who are very "hit-and-miss" about showing up to games, especially if the weather is less than ideal.

So, tickets were sold, but not all tickets were used.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Western_101

No post game report, means you are getting "lit" at Pub II. :P

I'm Jealous, I did that a couple weeks ago, prob, not again. 35 mile drive to East Peoria is ill advised after a few.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:32 pm That Ratkovich catch is filthy good. Would love to see that one in super slo mo to see what hit the ground first (elbows, knees, ...)
For anyone who might have missed it:

They reviewed the play and his elbows hit just barely in bounds, so it was good. I don't have slow motion on it unfortunately. Might be able to dig something out of ESPN3's replay though. I'll see what I can do.

EDIT - ok, I now know how to do it, technically, although my computer at work isn't powerful enough to do it. I'll have to record it when I get home. Might go ahead and do all the TDs for us, plus maybe the botched fake punt that ISU did that was just about the nail in the coffin, even though we were only up by 3 at the time.
rocki

While you're at it, add the Khalen Saunders recovery with about 20 seconds left. That is a classic!!!
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

rocki wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:19 am While you're at it, add the Khalen Saunders recovery with about 20 seconds left. That is a classic!!!
Oh man...we SOOOOO wanted him to make it all the way. That was awesome. I'll add that to the list.

Here's the best I can do with current technology regarding the Ratkovich catch:

If you look closely in the first picture, you can see that it's his left elbow hitting first (the screenshot might be from like a millisecond before he actually touches). The second shot shows right where his elbow was when it touched down, and the third one is a closer view, but shows that his right elbow, knees, and pretty much his entire body was on the ground before he slid out of bounds.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Here's one of Saunders after he picked up the ball near the end of the game:

sealhall74

Great forensic work ST, although technically forensic might be a misuse of the word as it would only have been a crime if the TD was not granted. John Madden would have interjected a "One elbow equals two feet" here had he been in the broadcast booth. Here is a interesting play (FG attempt) that might keep us busy discussing for a while. The ball goes through the uprights via the old "drop kick" from a yesteryear way way back. Is this play worth 3 points or not to the kicking team?

[tweet][/tweet]
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

Necks win battle for the state.
From today's Western Courier:
https://westerncourier.com/39435/sports ... the-state/
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:12 pm Necks win battle for the state.
From today's Western Courier:
https://westerncourier.com/39435/sports ... the-state/
"Battle for the state" eh?

You know what this means, right? We have to beat SIU in two weeks...then next year, we take down Illinois.
In the span of 3 years we will have beaten every other public DI football school in the state.
EIU and NIU last year, ISU and SIU this year, U of I next year ;)
wiu712

From today's Vidette (the Illinois State student newspaper):

Western Illinois surges in the second half to stun Illinois State.
http://www.videtteonline.com/sports/wes ... 69af7.html

ISU needs to refresh passing game.
http://www.videtteonline.com/sports/hea ... dc02e.html