WIU at Illinois State (11/4/17)

huskie

WIU2DC wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:26 am Does anyone know why #16 (Halloway) was dressed but didn’t play on defense and Viti started at corner? Or have I️ missed that new change in the last few games?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Holloway dressed but didn't play, not sure what is going on.
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:44 pm
rocki wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:23 pm Agree that we need to cut way down on penalties, but imo the infraction on the sideline was bogus. (I didn't see it the first time, but watched the replay)
Happened right down from where I was sitting. It was bogus. Probably a solid 1/3 of the calls against us in the first half didn't happen, another 1/3 could have happened but I could also have seen them not being called, and the other 1/3 were valid. Not an exact count, but just estimated based on what I was seeing.

Seemed like in the second half, they stopped calling the first 1/3, and only called maybe half of the "borderline" ones.

We do seem to play a little "sloppy" at times...like...that very odd play where all the linemen lined up to the left of the center and we were flagged for...I think movement before the snap or something. Other times when our guys would obviously jump offsides and stuff. We do need to clean a few things up and "tighten up" a few of those "trick" plays before we roll them out again, so that our guys can pull them off without getting all confused.

Our seats were pretty much right on the North (video board side) 35-yard line, a bit over halfway up the home stands. Here's a shot across the field looking towards the Western section during pregame (it would fill up quite a bit more by early in the 1st).

Yeah, I am not a big fan of trick plays you have never used in a game situation. More often that not, something goes wrong with them. I dont know if we had some new personnel in on that swinging gate play or not, but it certainly did not go well. I dont care how often you practice them, game situation with loud crowd in play or substitute player in the mix always make it tougher. I would rather see them used occasionally during the early season so they become part of our repertoire and then throw in a new wrinkle to them during the big conference games.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

Western makes plays, ISU gets outplayed in 31-14 romp.
From Sunday's Peoria Journal-Star:
http://www.pjstar.com/sports/20171104/w ... 31-14-romp

#25 Clint Ratkovich
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Oh, that's the other thing I was thinking...

I don't know the reasoning behind it...injuries in some cases, lack of performance in the SDSU game and the first half of the ILSU game...whatever. But, I thought that some of the young guys really shined in the game.
Redshirt Freshman Clint Ratkovich picking up 1 TD each rushing and receiving and 76 all-purpose yards (I think he's gotta be in contention for the MVFC newcomer of the week award).
Sophomore Brandon Gaston catching 56 yards and a TD.
Sophomore Mike Viti getting 8 tackles and a couple of pass breakups (one that was very nearly an interception).
Sophomore Sam Crosa remaining perfect (7/7) on the season kicking a 28-yard FG and 4/4 on XP kicks.
Sophomore Nathan Erickson averaging 63 yards on kickoffs including 3 touchbacks.
And true Freshman DL J'Len Smith getting a tackle for loss and a QB hurry.

I also didn't realize that we'd been playing J'Len Smith and Freshman DL Shabar Wilson all season already. I guess Coach Fisher thought it was better to have them get experience so they can hit the ground running next year with both Mick Nelson and Colin Olson being Seniors this year.

So despite our starters being heavily weighted towards the seniors, I think we're looking solid in a lot of places with the young guys. I'm hoping that we can get enough leads in the next couple of games that plenty of young guys can get more experience before the playoffs and into next year.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

That Ratkovich catch is filthy good. Would love to see that one in super slo mo to see what hit the ground first (elbows, knees, ...)
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:That Ratkovich catch is filthy good. Would love to see that one in super slo mo to see what hit the ground first (elbows, knees, ...)
On the replay board it looked like elbows. That was a phenomenal catch. Sean overthrew him and he made the play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Neckfansince71

So ST, I know you are pretty popular on the Redbirds Forum too, could you ask them about the 2/3's full eastside while they were selling north end zone lawn tickets to Redbird parents and to WIU fans. Yes, the west side was sold out which included the band section, but how about the eastside? ;) jc
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:26 pm Oh, that's the other thing I was thinking...

I don't know the reasoning behind it...injuries in some cases, lack of performance in the SDSU game and the first half of the ILSU game...whatever. But, I thought that some of the young guys really shined in the game.
Redshirt Freshman Clint Ratkovich picking up 1 TD each rushing and receiving and 76 all-purpose yards (I think he's gotta be in contention for the MVFC newcomer of the week award).
Sophomore Brandon Gaston catching 56 yards and a TD.
Sophomore Mike Viti getting 8 tackles and a couple of pass breakups (one that was very nearly an interception).
Sophomore Sam Crosa remaining perfect (7/7) on the season kicking a 28-yard FG and 4/4 on XP kicks.
Sophomore Nathan Erickson averaging 63 yards on kickoffs including 3 touchbacks.
And true Freshman DL J'Len Smith getting a tackle for loss and a QB hurry.

I also didn't realize that we'd been playing J'Len Smith and Freshman DL Shabar Wilson all season already. I guess Coach Fisher thought it was better to have them get experience so they can hit the ground running next year with both Mick Nelson and Colin Olson being Seniors this year.

So despite our starters being heavily weighted towards the seniors, I think we're looking solid in a lot of places with the young guys. I'm hoping that we can get enough leads in the next couple of games that plenty of young guys can get more experience before the playoffs and into next year.
It's always a great sign when guys who aren't the big name guys step up Brett did almost nothing in the second half and ISU didn't score. I really don't know why Viti hasn't gotten more time every time he plays he makes an impact it was also great to see Glisan make arguably the 2 biggest plays of the game as I have known him since he was really young. I think we have a chance to be very special next year if our oline plays well that will be the biggest question going into next year.
STLRedbird

Congrats, 'necks! Pretty clear who was the best team yesterday. We really needed this game, yet we're beaten in most phases of the game. I'll be rooting for you the rest of the way unless - insert miracle here - we happen to go for a do-over in the playoffs.
Western_101

So, am I the only one that needs a Charlie Fischer Half time talk?

Man, Maybe it's strategy but, wow, something serious is happening at half time.

Very Impressed.