WIU at Indiana State (11/11/2017)

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:59 am Could be a little extra pep in the step of Tree players and fans today as they trounced the Hoosiers last nite in hoops. Need to get up on top early and prune their enthusiasm.
Nope, they used up all their motivation and excitement last night. Nothing left for today.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

WIU expects unexpected against winless Sycamores.

From today's McDonough County Voice:
http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/20 ... -sycamores
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Got a bit of a request for you guys who are chilling at home, watching the game(s), and more specifically...checking out the forum on a desktop computer.

I found a site that does a really nice customizeable sports scores ticker. I've got a basic one set up with all the MVFC teams, and I stuck the ticker at the bottom of pages (just above the google ad). That may or may not be the final location of the widget...haven't decided that yet...but I want you guys to keep an eye on the ticker. I will too, but more eyeballs means better data.

So, keep an eye on it, especially when a score changes (like...how far behind the actual score is the ticker?) and let me know if it's pretty much "realtime" (or within a minute or two) or if it seems to take a long time (like 15...30...60 minutes) to update the scores. Also let me know if it's buggy or causing any problems for any of you as well.

Thanks.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Nevermind on the score ticker. I like how it looks and it's customizability, but the scores are WAY behind. I'll take it out when I get a chance.
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:04 pm Nevermind on the score ticker. I like how it looks and it's customizability, but the scores are WAY behind. I'll take it out when I get a chance.
I have some javascript that will suck the scores off the NCAA site. I usually run it via trigger to automatically update my spreadsheet. Not sure if you can take advantage of it on the page but it is yours if you need it.
Embrace the pace of the race.
1721Higgins

Are today's ESPN3 announcers in the stadium? There is like zero ambient noise. Really odd watching this game and not hearing the crowd or a band.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:17 pm
ST_Lawson wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:04 pm Nevermind on the score ticker. I like how it looks and it's customizability, but the scores are WAY behind. I'll take it out when I get a chance.
I have some javascript that will suck the scores off the NCAA site. I usually run it via trigger to automatically update my spreadsheet. Not sure if you can take advantage of it on the page but it is yours if you need it.
I normally do my programming in php, but if I can take a look at your code and generally how it's parsing the data, that'd probably help me quite a bit. I probably would have a php script pull the scores, set it to run maybe every 5 or 10 minutes (cron job) and store the data on the local server to load faster when someone loads the page. 2/3 of the content on the front page is done that way. It also adds a layer of redundancy. The schedule on the right side, for example...even if WIU's athletics website goes down completely for a while, it will still show up, just won't be updating until the site comes back up. But knowing how you're scraping the site would help. Thanks.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

1721Higgins wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:35 pm Are today's ESPN3 announcers in the stadium? There is like zero ambient noise. Really odd watching this game and not hearing the crowd or a band.
Not that we have any room to talk really, but they only had 3k people at their last home game. Could be even fewer in the stands today, especially if there's a large group of sports fans still celebrating (or recovering from celebrating) last night's Sycamore basketball win over Indiana.
leatherneckcountry

Yeah my Espn APP isn't working properly I haven't been following today's game super closely and the 1st update that was sent was our 3rd scoring drive and haven't gotten the last TD. Great to see Connor in the game .
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU won 45-0
Offense had some issues at times, but the defense was very solid. First shutout in 7 years. First time winning 6 road games in a season. We've now outscored opponents 76-0 over the last 6 quarters.