WIU at Indiana State (11/11/2017)

EllyK

Acklin was ejected in the 3rd quarter for punching. Will he have to sit out the first half of the next game, or is that only for the targeting rule? Could be a huge loss.
Western Illinois University '15
Villanova University '18

Marching Leatherneck 2011-2014
sealhall74

EllyK wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:23 pm Acklin was ejected in the 3rd quarter for punching. Will he have to sit out the first half of the next game, or is that only for the targeting rule? Could be a huge loss.
He will sit out 1st half of next game.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I'm not all that worried about Acklin being out really. SIU's strength is not their defense and we've got enough weapons to do ok without Acklin for a bit. They also have their starting QB out for the season after suffering a broken hand two weeks ago. They're currently losing to a YSU team that has been pretty bad the second half of the season.

Not saying it'll be an easy game, but I'd much rather have Acklin out for a half against a team like SIU than against a team like Illinois State or NDSU that have really good defenses.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

1721Higgins wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:35 pm Are today's ESPN3 announcers in the stadium? There is like zero ambient noise.
They must have been broadcasting from inside a closed press box. I was listening to the game on the radio, and the crowd noise and band were able to be heard.

Attendance at Indiana State = 3,173.
Western_101

I never saw the camera pan the Grandstand so, who knows? But, yeah, on TV it sounded like it was a closed scrimmage.
Leatherneck309

My quick thoughts a day later. Western exceeded my expectations. I don't think any of us could have expected to win by 45 even if it was ISUb. It could have easily been a trap game before the revenge game next week and I am sure it was exciting playing on a cold day in that stadium.

Defense played well in earning the shutout. Nice to see them force a couple turnovers! They did a great job getting off the field on 3rd down which continued from the 2nd half last week in Normal. Felt like Saunders was real active again this week.

I was happy with the offense as well with the exception of the two fumbles. They had a good balance. McGuire had a good game. It was nice to see Norris back and have a good game. Sanders also looked well running the ball and McShane did his thing too. Eight different receivers getting a catch was positive as well.

Biggest disappointment was Acklin getting kicked out. Hope it doesn't hurt us next week and that he is able to get his yards in the 2nd half. WIU is playing well at the right time. Go Necks!
wiu712

Necks sic the Sycamores.

From today's Western Courier:
https://westerncourier.com/39548/sports ... sycamores/
huskie

EllyK wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:23 pm Acklin was ejected in the 3rd quarter for punching. Will he have to sit out the first half of the next game, or is that only for the targeting rule? Could be a huge loss.
Acklin will not miss anytime I was told by Coach Fisher.
rocki

huskie wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:36 pm
Acklin will not miss anytime I was told by Coach Fisher.
I hope this is the way it works out - I'm not familiar with the rules when a player is ejected from the game, I've probably only seen it when targeting is the issue. Would be nice to see him set a new receiving record - you can tell he's really worked hard for it.
letsgonecks

Yeah, quick search of the rules and players ejected for non targeting penalties don't have to serve any extra time. They are just ejected for the remainder of the game. Looks like plays are reviewed by the NCAA and extra time could be given if offense is deemed more serious.