WIU at Indiana State (11/11/2017)

sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:50 am
RedNeck wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:03 am Jeff Hecklinski was the QB when I was at WIU. He is 1/2 year older than me.

That's what 43 looks like? Coaching is a tough business.

Also, I vaguely remember the "block house". For those that don't know or remember it was located just North of the West Stands, kinda partially in the hill. It was gone before I graduated.
It's definitely a stressful job. Hecklinski was briefly the QBs coach at Illinois under Bill Cubit for like...a week...until they hired Lovie Smith and he came in and cleaned house. Hard to imagine that process happening without a few new grey hairs.

I'm sure someone has some photos of the old block house, but a quick search didn't really find anything online. Best I was able to find were these from the WIU Football Alumni Facebook page. The block house is the yellow building in the background/side.
Either the players were smaller or the shoulder pads were bigger back then. Or maybe both.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Neckerchief

Is anyone besides me worried about Indiana State coming to this game fired up and we show up flat and they get their first win of the season? In 2009 we were favored to beat INSU, but they came out ready to play and ended their 33 game losing streak. WIU made the national news that day, and not in a good way.

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/local/lo ... b84f8.html
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:21 pm Either the players were smaller or the shoulder pads were bigger back then. Or maybe both.
Mostly shoulder pads were much bigger. It's kinda a running joke on the AGS board about the GIANT shoulder pads of the '80s and '90s.
Improved safety, I think, but they didn't have the technology to make them safer and smaller...they do now...and have better materials.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Neckerchief wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:09 pm Is anyone besides me worried about Indiana State coming to this game fired up and we show up flat and they get their first win of the season? In 2009 we were favored to beat INSU, but they came out ready to play and ended their 33 game losing streak. WIU made the national news that day, and not in a good way.

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/local/lo ... b84f8.html
No. Fisher will have these guys ready. Treat this ISU just like last week's ISU. Get fired up, put a beatdown on the Sycamores and Salukis and get the #8 seed into the playoffs.
Neckfansince71

We have a very well coached and led football team! They are on a mission and can "smell blood in the water!" There are no "easy" games in the MVFC!!! Charlie Fisher and the Necks know that! If we play in the second round, I will be watching in Hanson Field!!!;) jc
wiu712

Western Illinois in search of historic sixth road win.
From tonight's WGEM Sports:
http://www.wgem.com/story/36810519/2017 ... h-road-win
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Just FYI, trimmed this thread down to just Indiana State talk. Playoff-related discussions have been moved to the "Jim Mora Honorary Playoff Thread" here: http://www.leathernecknation.net/forum/ ... f=7&t=1496
wiu712

Game Day Forecast for Terre Haute:
Sunshine and clouds mixed.
High = 46.
UV Index: 3 of 10.
Winds: SE at 5-10 mph.
Chance of rain = 0%.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:42 pm Game Day Forecast for Terre Haute:
Sunshine and clouds mixed.
High = 46.
UV Index: 3 of 10.
Winds: SE at 5-10 mph.
Chance of rain = 0%.
Not trying to steal your thunder or anything, but those forecasts I put in the initial post for each game:
ImageImage

They're updated hourly based on a script I set up. So they're pretty much always up to date with the current mid-day forecast for the game location up until game time (after which they stop updating). Just so everyone is aware.
sealhall74

Could be a little extra pep in the step of Tree players and fans today as they trounced the Hoosiers last nite in hoops. Need to get up on top early and prune their enthusiasm.
Embrace the pace of the race.