WIU at Indiana State (11/11/2017)

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Image AT Image

Game Time: 12:00 PM (Noon) Central, 11/11/2017
Weather:
ImageImage

TV: ESPN3/WatchESPN.com
Radio: Announcers (Scott Kornberg, Dr. Tom Cody) - Beardstown - WRMS (94.3 FM); Macomb - WJEQ (102.7 FM); Galesburg - WAIK (1590 AM); Quincy - WPWQ (106.7 FM); Clinton, Iowa - (KCLN 1390 AM)
Internet: wrmsfm.com or Tune-In Radio App (Google store and iTunes)
Live Stats: http://www.sidearmstats.com/indstate/football/
Game Notes: Western Illinois | Indiana State

A bit about Indiana State
Indiana State started off the season ranked at the bottom of the MVFC. They started somewhat promisingly, falling to rival Eastern Illinois by 2 in the final seconds of the game and losing to then #19 Liberty by 1 point after a last-second missed FG. In between was a game at Tennesee where they weren't really all that competitive. Things have mostly gone downhill from there though, losing by 11 at Illinois State, by 52 against NDSU, by 50 at USD, by 21 against SIU, by 39 at MSU, and then last week, by 42 to YSU, to bring them to 0-9 on the season and 0-6 in the MVFC. This will be their last home game of the season before heading up to UNI the next weekend for the final game of their season.
Stats-wise, they average 17.2 ppg (104th in FCS) and 309.9 ypg (94th) while giving up an average 45.3 ppg (122nd) and 502.8 ypg (123rd). Through the air, they put up 196.7 ypg (77th) and allow 306.6 ypg (122nd), and for the run game, they net 113.2 ypg (90th) and give up 196.2 ypg (100th). They have a turnover margin of an average of -1.11 turnovers per game (107th) and are 113th in time of possession, averaging 27:22 with the ball.
They also have two familiar names to Leatherneck fans on their coaching staff: Deon Broomfield, who was our CBs coach last season, and Jeff Hecklinski, who's name is scattered around our QB record books for some excellent football in the late '90s.

ISU Players to Watch:
  • RB LeMonte Booker - has run for 87.89 ypg this season with 5 TDs including 167 yards against YSU last weekend and had 104 yards against NDSU (the only 100+ yard rusher they've allowed this season). He als also caught for 79 yards and 1 TD this season.
  • TE Jaquet McClendon - has a 62.22 ypg receiving average with 4 TDs, but had 101 yards against YSU last weekend.
  • WR Bob Pugh - has caught for 71 ypg and 3 TDs and handles punt returns (12.43 yards per return) and kickoff returns (17.5 yards per return). Has a 27.78 yards per reception average, which is 3rd in the FCS (1st in the MVFC).
  • LB Jonas Griffith - 85 tackles this season including 8 for loss (4.5 sacks), a forced fumble and a fumble recovery.
  • CB Rondell Green - 51 tackles, 3.5 for loss, 2 INTs, 9 pass breakups, and 3 forced fumbles.
Series History
The Leathernecks and Sycamores have faced off 40 times starting in 1967, with Western holding the 25-15 advantage. We have won the last 4 games against INSU. Last year's game was a 1-point Homecoming win where the game was back and forth until we took the lead for good on a 41-yard Nathan Knuffman FG with just under 12 minutes left in the game. The last game we played at Terre Haute was Sean McGuire's "coming out party" where he threw for 332 yards and 1 TD and ran for 28 yards and 1 TD in an OT victory.

Predictions
Massey - 48-20, WIU Victory
Compughterratings.com - 53-16, WIU win
Sagarin (calculation, doesn't round) - 56.35 to 14.91 WIU win
Average margin: ~35 points

Rankings
Sagarin (out of all 254 DI teams) - WIU 84, INSU 217
STATS Top 25 - WIU 11, INSU NR
Massey Composite - WIU 8, ISU 104
AGS Poll - WIU 13, INSU NR

Common Opponents
Illinois State - WIU won by 17, INSU lost by 11
North Dakota State - WIU lost by 12, INSU lost by 52
South Dakota - WIU lost by 5, INSU lost by 50
Missouri State - WIU won by 19, INSU lost by 39
Average point margin difference: ~42.75

My Take
We are obviously favored in this game by quite a bit. However, you can never take a MVFC team lightly, even if it's the last place team in the conference. The Sycamores essentially have nothing to lose and are going to fight to end the season with at least one win and it'll be Senior Day, so they're going to want to try to send out the seniors on a high note. They have some talented players in a few positions that can turn the game around or keep things closer than we might want/expect. Just looking at the stats, they don't have a ton of strengths, but they have been able to throw the ball here and there against teams that are weak against the pass. Their primary RB is very talented as well, so if they're able to get into an offensive rhythm, that could be an issue. We need to go out and treat this week's ISU game just like last week's ISU game. Keep pressure on the QB, disrupt throws, stay strong against the run. Play like we did in Normal and come away with a win.

Prediction:
Coach Fisher seems to be pretty good at getting the guys motivated (especially in the second half). I think that INSU might keep things somewhat close in the first half, but the second half is "our time"...it's when we really shine, and I think we'll be able to blow things open in the 3rd and come away with something close to a 30-point win. Think kinda like last weekend except starting the second half from a tie game position rather than 14 points down.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Neckfansince71

There will be an emotional surge from Indiana State early in the ball game as there always is after "Senior Day" activities. The Necks must keep that in check until the "air is out of the balloon" and then continue to do what they do on offense and defense. I am sure they will be very anxious to get on the bus and head east! ;) jc
leatherneckcountry

I love for this to be a game that the starters have to play 3 quarters and thats it.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:48 am I love for this to be a game that the starters have to play 3 quarters and thats it.
I'd love for them to only play the first half. They go into halftime and Sean McGuire gives an incredible halftime speech to the young guys about being the "next generation" of Leathernecks and it being time to step up and they go out and proceed to blow open a huge lead in the second half with nearly all underclassmen on the field.

I'd settle for a solid win though ;)
wiu712

Leathernecks show improvement vs. pass.
From today's McDonough County Voice:
http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/20 ... nt-vs-pass

Football looks for seventh victory.
From today's Western Courier:
https://westerncourier.com/39486/sports ... h-victory/
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Video from Indiana State's side of things, including some comments from ISU offensive coordinator (and former Leatherneck QB) Jeff Hecklinski

[tweet][/tweet]
Western_101

Good, Stuff Lawson!

Between your coverage and the ESPN3 coverage I feel as involved/ informed as a P5
Western_101

Jeff Hecklinski was the QB when I was at WIU. He is 1/2 year older than me.

That's what 43 looks like? Coaching is a tough business.

Also, I vaguely remember the "block house". For those that don't know or remember it was located just North of the West Stands, kinda partially in the hill. It was gone before I graduated.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

RedNeck wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:03 am Jeff Hecklinski was the QB when I was at WIU. He is 1/2 year older than me.

That's what 43 looks like? Coaching is a tough business.

Also, I vaguely remember the "block house". For those that don't know or remember it was located just North of the West Stands, kinda partially in the hill. It was gone before I graduated.
It's definitely a stressful job. Hecklinski was briefly the QBs coach at Illinois under Bill Cubit for like...a week...until they hired Lovie Smith and he came in and cleaned house. Hard to imagine that process happening without a few new grey hairs.

I'm sure someone has some photos of the old block house, but a quick search didn't really find anything online. Best I was able to find were these from the WIU Football Alumni Facebook page. The block house is the yellow building in the background/side.
Western_101

I know Iknow, me again :roll: I was on INSUs board and all kinds of commotion about dropping football, or moving to OVC.
People like the camaraderie and the fun fall days but hate the beat downs. HELLO, MVC already has two teams that play Pioneer football.

Simple keep your Brand name sport, keep the football, but don't hemorrhage money. Gosh, Maybe it's beneath them I mean Basketball powerhouses come to mind Dayton, Butler, Valpo. Even Drake (founding member of MVC) plays in Pioneer.

Why does it have to be full scholarship football or nothing? Also going to OVC to help your cause ain't happening as said before they aint putting 30 Million into Tullman to drop to the OVC.

( I totally edited out a sentence that just didn't make sense)