Playoffs?...PLAYOFFS?!?!?

Leatherneck309

A draw with SHSU or JSU would be ideal. I just want to avoid NDSU or SDSU. I have seen that and it hasn't gone well.

Hopefully the wins keep adding up. The potential is there for a special season.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Leatherneck309 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:55 am A draw with SHSU or JSU would be ideal. I just want to avoid NDSU or SDSU. I have seen that and it hasn't gone well.

Hopefully the wins keep adding up. The potential is there for a special season.
Well, the one good thing about possibly not getting a seed is that they do everything they can to avoid first round/regular season rematches. The MVFC team that we didn't play was Youngstown State, and they're not going to be in the playoffs. So, if we don't get a seed and we end up playing the Saturday after Thanksgiving, it won't be against a MVFC team. If we win the first round, we might end up going against one in the second round, but we'd be facing off with a non-seeded, non-MVFC team in the first round.

Also, if we're not seeded, then they'll try to match us up with a team within 500 miles (bus drive). Problem is, there's no non-MVFC teams within 500 miles that will be in the playoffs...I know that EIU, Valpo, Butler, Drake, SEMO...those guys are in range, but barring some OVC craziness that might somehow get EIU into the bracket (I'd be good with playing them...I think we could win that one), none of them are going to be in the playoffs.

So, that means we might get to fly to somewhere we haven't played recently or ever (or if we somehow win the bid, they might come to Macomb).
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

I personally waqnt nothing to do with SHSU that seems like a bad matchup with there elite pass offense.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:31 am I personally waqnt nothing to do with SHSU that seems like a bad matchup with there elite pass offense.
Oh...yea...you're right. I hadn't noticed how good their passing offense was. To be fair, the level of competition they've played is not great (67th strongest strength of schedule according to Massey...we're 3rd), but they still put up a lot of points against halfway decent Richmond and Nichols State teams.

I think we're pretty comparable to Central Arkansas (both Massey and Compughterratings.com predict we'd beat UCA by a TD on their field and by about 10 in Macomb), and UCA beat them by 11.

Those same simulators (both of them) predict 43-33 win for Western if played in Texas, and a 79% chance of victory. Not saying it'd be the easiest matchup, but I still like our chances if we end up playing them.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Leatherneck309

BIG win today! UNH with some help beating ELON. Excellent start so far.
yokedneck

Any update on odds WIU could host a home play-off game? We're hoping to.so me see the Leathernecks in the post season!

Tom

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

[thinkpurple]Leatherneck Football[/thinkpurple]
1721Higgins

A couple mock brackets.

This one has us as the 8 seed right now. But they don't have Sam Houston in the top 8, which I'd expect them to be.
https://herosports.com/fcs/football-fcs ... 2017-ajaj

This one has us playing Nicholls State and being fed to UCA. Would be nice to see some schools we haven't played before and not get fed to the Dakotas immediately. No MVFC teams on the left side of the bracket in this mock.
http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/fcs ... acketology
leatherneckcountry

Yeah a big game with huge seeding implication will be the SUU vs NAU.
Western_101

1721Higgins wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:29 pm A couple mock brackets.

This one has us as the 8 seed right now. But they don't have Sam Houston in the top 8, which I'd expect them to be.
https://herosports.com/fcs/football-fcs ... 2017-ajaj

This one has us playing Nicholls State and being fed to UCA. Would be nice to see some schools we haven't played before and not get fed to the Dakotas immediately. No MVFC teams on the left side of the bracket in this mock.
http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/fcs ... acketology
Boy a like this "Hero Sports" fella. First round bye, match up with CCSU. Sounds good to me.
Neckfansince71

The next game against SIU is truly a "payback" ball game! If I am a player its one game I could never ever forget! ;) jc